Vehicle Pathfinding/Mounting Issues

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
dutch08

Vehicle Pathfinding/Mounting Issues

Post by dutch08 »

A little concerned right off the bat in 01 Operation Center Back. Trying to form a convoy to move down the road and 3/4 of my vehicles get stuck and do dances with each other or by themselves if nobody is around. Never made it past the first "S" Bend...

Some of the infantry mounts were okay in the pre-mission phase, but when I began, they never mounted their assigned vehicles and couldn't be reassigned.

It's 2AM and I'm off to bed, but can anybody else verify that these are issues? I'll report more when I have time and respond to any questions/comments later.
Andrew Williams

RE: Vehicle Pathfinding/Mounting Issues

Post by Andrew Williams »

Mounting - From the manual

Left click to place a green Mount dot on an eligible vehicle.  The infantry unit then moves to mount the chosen vehicle.  The vehicle may slightly adjust its position in preparation for mounting.  Do not cancel or change a Mount order until it has been completed or the vehicle will lose its passenger carrying capability

[font="times new roman"]In the pre-mission pohase only one team can be ordered to mount a vehicle..... once the mission has begun subsequent teams can be ordered to mount.

[/font]Vehicle pathing - From the manual

Vehicles are sometimes difficult to maneuver. Wheeled vehicles may not be able to navigate the same terrain as tracked vehicles.  Players employing vehicles within their force should pay close attention to vehicle performance and may need to adjust a vehicle’s action and order status frequently to achieve that team’s objectives.  Vehicles are often vital to overall force cohesion.

ImageImage
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

Huh?

Mounting - In pre-mission phase I got the little green dot. It dissapeared when I clicked begin and then couldn't remount the troops.

Pathfinding - Tanks and Bradleys primarily make up the first mission and they are unable to find a path. I never said they were slow!

Now I'm a bit alarmed by the tech support... strike 2.
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Aditionally, always use waypoints for vehicles.
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Aditionally, always use waypoints for vehicles.

I have played CC since CC2, so I was aware of that and tried it with no luck. Have you played the mission I cited?
Andrew Williams

The map is a difficult one to master.

The roadways have steep cliffs down each side making them difficult for vehicles to traverse.

If you want to drive along the road you need to micro manage... most vehicles travel cross country more easily on this map.

I just drove all thway to point RUE1 ... only an Abrams made it all other vehicles being disabled or destroyed along the way.

Did you try and load too many people on to a vehicle?
ImageImage
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

I only loaded one unit per vehicle. Again, some wouldn't load up after I hit 'begin'.

I then tried to move vehicles on to the road from their default deployed locations and they could not get to the road. Some would, but not all. A bradley and an M1 did make it to the road, and a smaller vehicle tried to drive between them, got stuck, and was just wiggling it's butt back and forth endlesslessly. I was still trying to move vehicles onto the road to begin the convoy while that dance was going on (this is the 2nd attempt with large ammounts of waypoints built in).

Also to note, in the very first "training" scenario, I was moving some infantry units across a street with the "MOVE FAST" command, and they attempted to crawl backwards(!) across the road...hmpf...

My honest opinion --> I understand that games have bugs/issues and require patching. But I didn't play the game three minutes before I realized something was 'off'. After trying Scenarios 1, 2, and 5 (in sequential order on the scen list) I was dismayed at some of the issues. Part of the problem is that I have followed Matrix Games for a long time and I know many paid employees have a long passionate history with the Close Combat series. For nobody to have even tried the first few scenarios is baffling to me. The alarm bells are ringing.

Andrew Williams

Replay file of operation Center Back

Center Back replay

You can see the map can be traversed if you don't try and drive on uncrossable ground.

Right clicking on the map displays the element you are hovering over.

Tracked vehicles travel over most ground more easily tham wheeled vehicles.
ImageImage
Venator

Post by Venator »

In Operation Big Bird, the OPFOR AI controlled vehicles often seem to get stuck in the woods allowing easy air strikes. I've also noticed infantry units doing the crawling when they should be running thing and sometimes not lying down when given an ambush command (though this was after digging in so it may be related to that somehow)
Neil N

Post by Neil N »

Your troops are standing in their newly dug trench.  We did some testing with this to see if the newly dug trench increased the survivability of troops versus artillery and rifle fire...and it did.  Being able to dig in, is a great addition to close combat.
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.
Venator

Post by Venator »

I see, good. They didn't look like they were though. Of the five, one was lying outside the trench, two were kneeling apparently outside the trench and two were looking like they were occupying the trench (which didn't seem big enough for five).

I've also noticed that figures crawling in covert mode will sometimes overlap each other - though this is more an aesthetic issue than anything.
CptJake

Post by CptJake »

I agree the path finding is a little poor.  You can't expect the players to micromanage the vehicles to that level of detail.  I would have fired my driver if he could not stay on a trail I told him to follow, or could not navigate across country with little direction (like "keep going and pass that hill on the left, stick to low ground"). 

Jake
CptJake

Post by CptJake »

I've also been having a very hard time mounting fire teams onto Bradleys and Strykers.  I get some error where it wants to tell me there is not mountable vehicle, though there definitely is.

Jake
Senior Drill

Post by Senior Drill »

ORIGINAL: CptJake

I've also been having a very hard time mounting fire teams onto Bradleys and Strykers.  I get some error where it wants to tell me there is not mountable vehicle, though there definitely is.

Jake

You are not getting an error like a pop up warning or window, because there is not any code to do so. All you can see is a message in the Message Monitor stating "Not a mountable vehicle" or "Not enough seats".

For the US side, you can only mount 7 on an M2 Bradley and 2 (a scout team) on an M3. You can mount 9 on both M1126 Stryker ICV's and 2 on the M1130 Comand Vehicle. The M1129 Main Gun System, M1129 Mortar Carrier, and M1134 Stryker Fire Support Vehicle can not mount passengers. No seats, jes like in real life.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.
Neil N

Post by Neil N »

I had never seen that message until just now.  I had my fire team set to mount a stryker....turned out it was the Command Vehicle.  I got the 'no mount vehicle present' message. I would have expected 'Not enough seats'
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.
Senior Drill

Post by Senior Drill »

Ah, crap. I see what the problem is. In the BlueTeams.txt file and the RedTeams.txt file the Type column (column F) has them as "2" = Vehicle Command Tank for the M3A2 and the M1130, when it should be "24" = Vehicle Recon.

I fixed that last August because The Blood! pointed out that "command" vehicles couldn't carry passengers according to the code. Somehow, a copy of an older version slipped back in to become the prime copy. I knew I had it fixed because in testing I would load up two scout teams into M3's and shoot and scoot behind the enemy lines to mess up their day. My August build still has it working.

Oh, Andrew! Corrected files on the way to you, sir!
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.
Andrew Williams

Thanks Rand.. we're already on to it!!

ImageImage

Return to “Tech Support”