What's left to add to Pure Sim?

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

Walewander

What's left to add to Pure Sim?

Post by Walewander »

At this point I'm strictly a simmer, but even on my end there are a few things that I'd like to see in the future... Don't get me wrong, I'll be purchasing every release from this point on... But hey, it's fun to dream, isn't it?

I'd love to see the human managed team's retiree's listed before all others at the end of the season. It would be even better if anyone that had ever come through your organization was listed next, but that's asking quite a bit.

The inclusion of the singular skilled veteran player in the amateur draft is still bugging me, as is the inclusion of the late twenties scrubs. I can see stars from Nippon Baseball showing up in the Free Agent pool here and there, but when I see a 28 year old American born 3B would is ready to start at the majors in the draft... I have to wonder, where did he come from?

I'm still a little peeved at the way that players tend to become useless at 35 years of age. While most players do experience a definite downslide from that point on, it sees that in the game, they are never above fair condition and after one at bat, they need two games off to recover. I wish that the old age was expressed more like... Well... There is a declining percentage of games per season in which a player will play up to his abilities after a certain point - this would allow for an aging player to occasionally perform like his old self, but have that possibility be less and less probable as he begins aging.

Okay, I'm babbling.

Back to the game.
Nukester

RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim?

Post by Nukester »

- Ability to switch on/off financials, or something else to help create a reserve clause type environment that will let you switch to a FA environment within the same league

- Arbitration system

- Split leaderboard statistics for American League and National League

Those are a few things that Id like to see. Nothing specatcular, but it would nice to see these
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

I'll go with Nukester's #1 and #3 suggestions, with one (probably fanciful) addition:

replacing (or augmenting) the text play-by-play with an announcer calling the play-by-play, radio-style (for us nostalgists).

Free beer and roasted peanuts? No? Ok, I'll supply my own [:D]

PadresFan104

Post by PadresFan104 »

Wow.. I could write an entire white paper on what I'd like to see added or changed... [:)]

- Revamped UI. Finish the effort to give the game a cohesive interface.
- Put some modders to work on an improved PbP library.
- Every pop-foul should not be an automatic out... Have some go out of play, or missed for suspense sake
- Give us some interesting and rare plays
- More PSPN stories, if you could do stuff like they have in Mogul or OOTP, that would be super cool.
- Real Time Scoring updated from other games, while in the GameCast screen.
- A more "tweakable" GameCast interface. Let us move the various windows around while playing the game. Get rid of the "Wood Bars" at the top and bottom of the screen, what purpose do they serve?
- Make it more suspenseful when negotiating contracts with players.
- Allow me to go to my other Team Pages from the GameCast screen
- Give us the ability to add team specific "event" sounds during a game. Modders would have a field day with this.
PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I'd like to see every pitch during a watched or managed game, like it shows in the Game Log.
Speaking of the Game Log, I'd like it to show the batter's game performance during subsequent At Bats.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

I'd like to see every pitch during a watched or managed game, like it shows in the Game Log.
Speaking of the Game Log, I'd like it to show the batter's game performance during subsequent At Bats.

Well, seeing every pitch would be more "real", BUT, for those of us who manage game-by-game, the condensed play-by-play is what makes it "manageable" timewise. It takes maybe 25-30 minutes for a 9-inning game, and without the ability to call each pitch, showing each one seems pointless.
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

ORIGINAL: Wrathchild

Well, seeing every pitch would be more "real", BUT, for those of us who manage game-by-game, the condensed play-by-play is what makes it "manageable" timewise. It takes maybe 25-30 minutes for a 9-inning game, and without the ability to call each pitch, showing each one seems pointless.

Perhaps then an option to turn the condensed play-by-play ON and OFF?
"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

I like having your players either on top, or lit in a specific color, when they retire. Also, if they retire in the majors or as free agents, they SHOULD show stats (currently they don't; only if they retired while a member of a team in the majors).

Also, when you are looking at players in the Contract Status Screen, the stats it shows are for the first season they played, which is usually in the minors. I would think listing them with stats based on where they played the most games; regardless of where they sat at the time the contract expired.

Hit by a pitch. I read about it in the XML but never in all my managed games have I ever see one happen.

I know I've mentioned this before, but for the sake of keeping it all together, I would love to see a way to rename associations.

I would love to add Birthplaces; it's hard to see that no member of my Havanna Galleons was born in Cuba. Ouch.

Just as the AI teams show what they're looking for, it would be nice having the ability to broadcast what you're looking for on the market. i.e. Desperately seeking a CF and SS. Looking to get younger. Etc. Perhaps this could be used to help influence or direct the AI to offer suitable players.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

You want this, too, FS? Now, it might be cool to employ this in playoff and World Series games.
Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

You want this, too, FS? Now, it might be cool to employ this in playoff and World Series games.

Actually, no. I really have no need for it. I'm in the same boat as you are; as much as it shows right now is fine. However, I was thinking of a compromise where others can get it but GBG managers can shut it off.

[:)]

Frozen Stiffer

Post by Frozen Stiffer »

Oh, more ideas:

A customizeable PSPN report. It would be nice to make "SmartReports" where you define general criteria, give the report a name and a frequency of more-or-less how often it should come up. That, or an a'la'carte PSPN report where it only shares info that you care about. Sometimes I'm not all that interested in who had the most losses in 2005. Sorry.

A SEARCH function to find a specific player. To find Jose Suarez, I need to remember if he's a position player or a pitcher. Then, I need to expand the list to VIEW ALL. Then I need to scroll down to "S" and find him. If I could just type in 'Jose Suarez' that would be a godsend.

Including a note somewhere in the HTML Almanac showing a player has retired. I was having a lot of trouble finding a former teammember and it wasn't after a lot of running around that I finally found they had retired. Their player card in the HTML Almanac however did not show this.

When you use the PLAYER BIO screen to change what team a player is on, it would be nice if they retained the same contract terms. Currently when you do this, you need to reset the duration and the amount they originally signed for.

I'm not sure what programming limitations may be involved here, but the ability to make an association Multiplayer AFTER you create it would be nice. As far as I am aware, if you don't create one as an MP association from the start, you lose that option forever.

Rare but random events that can hamper a player's status and their performance; suspensions, personal time-off, sickness, indictment, injured while on free-time, scandal, etc.

Cash considerations in trades. Sometimes a team has excess capital and not excess staff.

dneely

Post by dneely »

Well I have asked for these for the last few versions so why stop now.....I never give up.

1. Live online play!!
2. Era specific XML files so we can play the Dead-Ball era without a guy hitting 45 HR's
3. A fully functional online league playing system.

To all of these I humbly add PLEASE!!!
DNeely

PureSim Vet
1of9MarlinsFan

Post by 1of9MarlinsFan »

I appreciate Shaun's work to progressively improve the AI; so I'd like to see that continue. Personally I play an 8 team fictional league, and I manage every game, so for selfish reasons I'd like to see 1 additional attribute rating for all players.

This rating would be listed as "ATT" for attitude. A player with a low attitude rating would be less likely to re-sign with his current team in order to test the free agent market. Furthermore, this player will refuse to play if he's tired, even if you put him in the line-up, you'll receive a message stating, "so and so demands to rest today". Also, a player with a low ATT rating will take longer to return from injury to ensure that he's healthy. This player will be more likely to decide to sit-out prior to the beginning of the season in order to renegotiate his contract, and more likely to demand a trade. Having said that; a player with a high ATT rating will be more loyal to your team, easier to re-sign, and willing to restructure his contract.

The ATT rating could also help with AI trades. Teams in last will want to unload players with low ATT ratings, now you'll have to decide if you want to risk giving up a prospect for somebody talented, but a problem child. Think about the off-season draft. There's a pitcher that looks like a can't miss prospect, but he has a 22 ATT rating. Do you take a risk and sign him? Of course the ATT rating can change as the player gets older and more mature, but of course this won't always happen.

For me this game is about the thrill of managing games, but let's face it; to be a manager in any era, you sometimes need to manage personalities.

Just a thought--sorry for the long post, and I realize something like this is easier said than done.
jeremy7227

Post by jeremy7227 »

A Linux version.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: 1of9MarlinsFan

I appreciate Shaun's work to progressively improve the AI; so I'd like to see that continue. Personally I play an 8 team fictional league, and I manage every game, so for selfish reasons I'd like to see 1 additional attribute rating for all players.

This rating would be listed as "ATT" for attitude. A player with a low attitude rating would be less likely to re-sign with his current team in order to test the free agent market. Furthermore, this player will refuse to play if he's tired, even if you put him in the line-up, you'll receive a message stating, "so and so demands to rest today". Also, a player with a low ATT rating will take longer to return from injury to ensure that he's healthy. This player will be more likely to decide to sit-out prior to the beginning of the season in order to renegotiate his contract, and more likely to demand a trade. Having said that; a player with a high ATT rating will be more loyal to your team, easier to re-sign, and willing to restructure his contract.

The ATT rating could also help with AI trades. Teams in last will want to unload players with low ATT ratings, now you'll have to decide if you want to risk giving up a prospect for somebody talented, but a problem child. Think about the off-season draft. There's a pitcher that looks like a can't miss prospect, but he has a 22 ATT rating. Do you take a risk and sign him? Of course the ATT rating can change as the player gets older and more mature, but of course this won't always happen.

For me this game is about the thrill of managing games, but let's face it; to be a manager in any era, you sometimes need to manage personalities.

Just a thought--sorry for the long post, and I realize something like this is easier said than done.

Hmm -- the way I look at it, any player that refuses to play because of an "attitude" would soon find himself released or traded. We really don't need prima donnas in this game, ya know what I'm sayin'? [:D]

Would you REALLY want a prized free agent sayin' "show me the money!" ?
Beach23BoyP

Post by Beach23BoyP »

An end to the "animated ball era".
CBeasley37

Post by CBeasley37 »

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

An end to the "animated ball era".

lol ....... touche Beach23Boy
VanScoy

Post by VanScoy »

Have to agree that the UI is very dated....
QuikSand

Post by QuikSand »

From what I have gathered with my *very* limited exposure to the most recent game, it sounds like the game would really benefit from a re-thinking of its financial system.  It seems to me that the salary structure for various levels of player (minor league scrub, major league bum, solid player, superstar player) are not at all well defined, rendering the incentives in the game completely perverted.
Walewander

What else...

Post by Walewander »

Wow, lots of good ideas...

I would like to have the option of customizing the Hall of Fame criteria and even being able to manually induct a player if need be. Along the same lines, I'd like to be able to decide on the criteria for the Best Pitcher and MVP awards...

Return to “PureSim Baseball”