Tutorial: Alternate Random Games

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

Tutorial: Alternate Random Games

Post by Vic »

Alternate Random Games

In the random game creator there is a buttom with a "m" on it that allows you to use a different masterfile then the default generic.ptmaster to create the random game.

Two things are realy important to understand:

1. You cannot just use ANY masterfile as a base to make random games. The masterfile must be designed properly.

2. Also you cannot make any sort of alternate games when you design an alternate masterfile. there are LIMITATIONS.

Attachments
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

RE: Tutorial: Alternate Random Games

Post by Vic »

On this screen in the editor you must set the rulevars for the masterfile that the random algorithm will use.

Attachments
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

To know what you can and cannot specify in the rulevars and what else you must and cannot do. I will now address all important points bullet by bullet.

1. The random game algorithm checks if rulevar(418) = 1 , if it is not the process will be aborted.

2. The random game algorithm uses the LT specified in rulevar(401) to fill the map with water, unless a 100% land map is specified or rulevar(401)=-1, in that case the map is filled with the LT specified in rulevar(402)

3. The random generator presumes no regime is present in the masterfile. Make sure your masterfile also has no regimes in the regimelist.

4. The random generator adds the number of specified regimes and gives them random colours, flags, unit and names.

5. Rivers are not painted if you specify either -1 for rulevar(407) or for rulevar(408), you can specify the same river # for both rulevars.

6. Mountains are not painted if you specify either -1 for rulevar(403) or for rulevar(404), you can specify the same LandscapeType # for both rulevars

7. VPWin is always set to 80% of total VP on map

8. All regimes are set at war with eachother

9. Each regime gets a capitol LocType specified in rulevar(410) and gets a free first Hq unit with in it SFType # specified in rulevar(411) in a quantity specified in rulevar(412). The people of the regime is always people # 0.

10. All town names are hardcoded. The inhabitants of each town are always people #0.

11. Rulevar(413) is the smallest town, Rulevar(414) is bit bigger, Rulevar(415) even more and Rulevar(416) is the biggest town. All these 4 rulevars must refer to a valid LocType #.

12. If you dont want to use a certain landscape like swamps then just specify a different LandscapeType, Plains for example or light forest.

13. There must always be a road type and a bridge defined in the masterfile. It is impossible to make a random games capable masterfile without roads or bridges. Make sure to set rulevar(409) to a valid roadtype. (though if you set rivers to -1 and roads to -1 as well i think it might work - no guarantee though)

14. The random game will also use any action cards and events defined in the masterfile. Make sure they will work with any random game if you put or let them into your masterfile. The random game will also use all the peoples defined in the masterfile.

15. Keep in mind predefined units defined in the masterfile will not be available in the random game.

16. Make sure all the landscapetype rulevars i have not mentioned here also have valid LandscapeTypes assigned to them.

17. Sprite 0 is used for the painting of all LandscapeTypes.
Vic

Post by Vic »

It might seem not to flexible a random game mechanism, but by using events you could randomize things a bit further. Let me give some ideas:

1. Make an event that only executes at start of first round and let it randomize sprites a bit.

2. Make an event that introduces wheater effects in certain rounds.

3. Make an event that randomizes the people living in certain locations.

4. Make an event that adds extra locations of specific types to the map.

5. But you can realy do a lot lot more. Especially if you use LOOPERS with the CheckRegimeCount in concert with RegimeVariables, so that your events can scale up to the ammount of players on the random map.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well...
thats it!

this was a rather small tutorial.
But it will help you if you want to design a random generator capable masterfile.

Kind regards,
Vic
Delyn Locksmiths

Post by Delyn Locksmiths »

Vic, how can i for example set a modified graphic as the one that the random game generator uses for e.g. plains.

Is that possible?
Vic

Post by Vic »

sure. just change the graphic of the plain LT in the masterfile that you will use in the random game generator.

kind reg,
vic
BULLDOGINTHEUK

Post by BULLDOGINTHEUK »

Hi Vic, I have done a set of graphics for random maps but when the map is made only 2 sets of regimes show up (German and Allied). Are only 2 regimes hardcoded into the random map generator (as I did graphic sets for Germans, Allies, Japanese and Russians)?

Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Bulldog,

Yes its hardcoded. But i added it to the list for changes.

kind regards,
Vic
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Hi Vic. How do I edit and existing masterfile ? Say for instance I want to modify an existing masterfile with new events etc, how do I edit it ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Vic

Post by Vic »

I would work in a copy of the masterfile if i was you, but basicly its very simple. You just load it like any other scenario and then got to the editor. However in the load dialogue make sure to swith file type from .pt2 to ptmaster!

kind reg,
Vic
Tufkal2

Post by Tufkal2 »

ORIGINAL: Vic
15. Keep in mind predefined units defined in the masterfile will not be available in the random game.

Is there any way to get any new units into a random game? If I understood correctly and random games do not have predefined units than this is not possible in AT?
Many thanks and Best Regards
duncan007

Post by duncan007 »

Is it possible to make a random game by using a specific map ?
[X(]
Tufkal2

Post by Tufkal2 »

Well the standard setup for a random game will first create a map from the parameters given by the rulevars and then assign territiory and initial units so that answer would be "no".
However it would be possible to write some events which work on a given map and distribute the map randomly between different regimes and set up some starting units etc.
Hope this helps?
Also: I have to correct my post directly preceeding: It is possible to include new units into a random game as Zaratoughda has demonstrated ...
duncan007

Post by duncan007 »

Thx for your help.
I am not yet ready for such work.
It could be a good feature to add.
Random maps are nice but i will enjoy to play random games with an european map for example.
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

I would work in a copy of the masterfile if i was you, but basicly its very simple. You just load it like any other scenario and then got to the editor. However in the load dialogue make sure to swith file type from .pt2 to ptmaster!

kind reg,
Vic

I don't understand?
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Is this page available as a .pdf somewhere?
tcl2828

Post by tcl2828 »

Vic,
How do I make it so when I start a new random game - the game will always use REAL country names and flags? I now how to go in and change them once I create a new game but I would like them to already be there and save me a few steps.

I am very new at this and I tried looking at you tutorial but it seems to be for the old AT not the new one with he leaders and all.

Thank you.
TLO
Vic

Post by Vic »

I think it would be easiest to just change all the regime name options in the relevant stringlists to have the real names and flags. You can delete all except 1 entry per regime name stringlist (1 for each people) but it would cause double names with 8 or more players.

best,
Vic
no_hope

Post by no_hope »

How would I go about to be able to make the random map generator make a purely arctic or purely tropical map instead of arctic-temperate and subtropic-tropic?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”