Movement Replay

Share reports of your greatest triumphs and most humiliating defeats here.
Erik Rutins

Movement Replay

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi, here's a movie version of the replay Andrew posted to show a battle with vehicles moving around in difficult terrain, to address concerns about vehicle pathing/movement:

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CloseComb ... Video2.wmv
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Awac835

RE: Movement Replay

Post by Awac835 »

Very nice video, thanks for that Erik.
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

Downloading now. Really, the pathfinding and infantry/vehicle movement makes the game unplayable. If this video shows things differently, then maybe it is just my computer and will accept the fact that I'm out $29. No big deal in the long run.
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

I was sure the game pathfinding needed to be tightened up, but this video shows that it must just be my computer. I guess there's no reason to hope for a patch now. Oh well, like I said, no big deal. Especially since it only effects me.

AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

Vehicle movement can be very touchy. I have time where a vehicle appears to be on the road, but just close to the edge, and they complain that the way is blocked.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
dutch08

Post by dutch08 »

Oh, that's definately a classic issue I'm having...sadly there's no fix. It's a problem with your machine.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

From what the experienced developers and players have told me, it comes down to micromanaging your waypoints. If you do that, you get results like you see in the video. I'm not a CC expert, but from what I understand this is how it's been done for pretty much all the CC releases.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm sure that's historically been the case, that movement cannot be from poitn A to point B over a long distance and differing terrains. IIRC you had to give several waypoinrs, being specific about where you wanted you vehicles to travel.
Alba gu' brath
RD_Roach

Post by RD_Roach »

As a long time CC player,micromanaging your teams esp vehicles/tanks is a must esp when playing other long time players,i can count the amount of times ive held off with a zooka/faust,waiting for the other players vehicle/tank to do the spin around before fireing. If you keep a eye on your vehicles/tanks after your order movement,you can see when they run into terrain they have to navigate around(this was very noticable in the original CC games due to bad pathfinding and they either spun around on the spot or went on a joy ride to anywhere ) Vehicles/Tanks in the new releases require less management,and move to where you want them to(unless they encounter deficult terrain depending what is coded into that perticular map)...For the most part,they go where ordered to.
CC greatest game ever!

http://www.reddevilscc.com
sgtrock111

Post by sgtrock111 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi, here's a movie version of the replay Andrew posted to show a battle with vehicles moving around in difficult terrain, to address concerns about vehicle pathing/movement:

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/CloseComb ... Video2.wmv

Hi. First off, thanks for the movie. I appreciate you guys taking the time to post things like this. In fact as a very (VERY) old CC fan from way back, I find your customer service approach a very refreshing change from the bad old days of Atomic Cafe's head in the sand, sometimes rude ways of dealing with customers (and potential customers).

I do have a comment, though. I have a dual boot Unbuntu Linux/Windows XP Pro system. I spend more than 90% of my time in Linux these days, and only boot up Windows to game. While I can play many video formats in Linux, I've struggled to find a consistent, reliable solution for playing .WMV files. In the future, would it be possible to post your videos in a format that has better cross platform support? MPG by preference?

TIA.

Return to “After Action Reports”