To Buy Or Not To Buy? That Is The Question...

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

New York Jets

To Buy Or Not To Buy? That Is The Question...

Post by New York Jets »

I own Forge of Freedom but have been playing around with the AACW demo and am intrigued. Is it a better game than FoF and why/why not? I am considering buying AACW and would like some input.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
Erik Rutins

RE: To Buy Or Not To Buy? That Is The Question...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Chris,

There are several threads devoted to that question here in the FOF forum, at The Wargamer and at AGEOD. Some folks prefer one or the other, but most who like grand strategy and the ACW recommend both. I know that's a very simple answer, but it's pretty much what it boils down to.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
New York Jets

Post by New York Jets »

Well, that's no help without links to the aforementioned forum threads.

Whatever...

- Casey Stengel -
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

Game is worth getting to be sure.

Is it a better game? Not exactly. I'd say it's just as good but for different reasons. I say just as good meaning that crown of glory and forge of freedom are a couple of my favorite games. I also say that because aacw and birth of america are also a couple of my favorite games.

When I play any of these four games, I always end up with the dreaded one more turn-itis!

Aacw has a good historical flow to the game. The way the game is designed allows one to play a relatively historical game. Clearly you won't repeat history exactly as it happened. We never do with games. The results of battles, the concerns of supply, production, and manpower are all present and give a good representation, in my opinion from what I've read, of the challenges and strengths of the union and the confederacy during the war.

The demo should give you a pretty good idea of the game, so if you like it, then the game is definitely worth getting. The company provides excellent support both technically and also in discussing issues/concerns.

In my view it was never a choice of which game, but when can I get both (fof and aacw).

Here are some links to other comparisons/discussions of aacw and/or fof:

tm.asp?m=1525082

tm.asp?m=1499807

tm.asp?m=1492195

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3608

Happy reading...
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Chris Trog
Well, that's no help without links to the aforementioned forum threads.

Sorry, I figured you'd use the search function. [;)]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Eric the search function does not work very well.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Not to Buy that is the answer. Well, my answer anyways. I find the AGEOD engine boring and I don't like the text based combat window that just tells me what happened I wanna SEE it happen when I do it, not a month later. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

New York Jets

Post by New York Jets »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Not to Buy that is the answer. Well, my answer anyways. I find the AGEOD engine boring and I don't like the text based combat window that just tells me what happened I wanna SEE it happen when I do it, not a month later. ;)

Wish I had read this earlier. They got my money.

Anyway, Empires in Arms is out and in my possession and I just started playing World of Warcraft.

So, hopefully I'll get to AACW after I retire. Hopefully by then they will have patched it enough to make it palatable.

OK thta's really dreaming.

I'm really dissatisfied with the product. I won't get bitten again.

By the way, who is that in your avatar. I can picture her in the movies but I can't remember her name? If that's your recent photo, however, I'm free this summer.

- Casey Stengel -
CTB123

Post by CTB123 »

What don't you like about AACW?
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

Yeah I used to figure it that way but I found that FoF with its endless tactical games and 200000+ on each side and having to fight all them tactical battles to have any chance to win was to much for me. That plus the economic thing was to much for me. AACW is a much better game and plays much more like the civil war. The roll your own rules approach is not for me as it gives you to much control over the situation and the economic factors.
To be fair I have not played FOF after the patch and a good friend says it fix's many of the problems but I just like the look feel and play of AAC W. This is something you have to decide for yourself as they both offer a different way to experience the Civil War...so to each there own. (or both)

Lawrence
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
berto

Post by berto »

I think that with AACW, AGEOD "got it right." And what they didn't get right, they can and will fix.

AACW covers all the important aspects of the war and leaves very little of relevance out. Nitpicks about this or that UI element aside, it's astonishing to see how well they've integrated everything.

It helps that they re-use modular code across their gaming lineup. So that, for instance, recent improvements to their newly released Napoleon's Campaigns game (e.g., Rules of Engagement tabs, AI improvements) they can easily retrofit into their earlier titles, such as AACW.

Now, you may hunger for tactical control over battles, in which case AACW may not be to your taste.

But in my estimation, AACW is the Real Deal. An excellent operational and strategic simulation, and very fine game, of the American Civil War indeed.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Yank

Post by Yank »

I have recently started playing this game a lot after really struggling with the graphics/interface which at first I found ugly and hard to use (I still hate dragging those placard things around), but I am starting to adjust quickly. Underneath the unhappy graphics/interface is a really deep and playable game with sensible and realistic rules and just enough detail to keep a grognard like me hooked. I don't think there's anything more realistic out there that gets it this close to perfect at the operational and strategic level. Now that I've become a little more used to the game mecahnics and interface, it's got that "just one more turn" addictive aspect.

I'd love a tactical module, but I'm more than satisfied with what's there. You guys should give it another shot. As an aside, I found FOF unplayable and a lot less realistic compared to this.
Ils ne passeront pas

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

In my very small humble opinion, this game has provided me the most enjoyable, satisfying wargame experience I have ever had in a current PBEM game I have going with Widell. I have issues with some aspects and would really like to see the combat resolution re-vamped, but aside from that, I think it is brilliant.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Chris Trog

... By the way, who is that in your avatar. I can picture her in the movies but I can't remember her name? If that's your recent photo, however, I'm free this summer.

I'm not sure he even knows, but she's Veronica Lake; her hallmark was wearing her hair over her left eye.

There's a much clearer headshot of her on ravinhood's member page.

For the record I own AGEOD's BoA and have greatly enjoyed it, but recently I ordered FoF because of it's historical approach and 3rd party recommendations. However, you won't go wrong w/AACW; it's a good engine and AGEOD is constantly patching and improving its games.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Could someone who has purchased this game tell me about how long it took to receive it? I live in Missouri and ordered it about 2 weeks ago. . . just wondering how much longer I should expect to wait. . . .thanks!

Steve
The meaning of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other poor Bastard die for his - Patton
bigus

Post by bigus »

I enjoy both games. i've been waiting for an operational\strategic game since Frank Hunters` Civil War .....Their both good.

I tend to lean a bit to AGEod though since they have battle and theater scenarios. If I need to play a quick game ...I can.

bigus
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: ColdSteel
Could someone who has purchased this game tell me about how long it took to receive it? I live in Missouri and ordered it about 2 weeks ago. . . just wondering how much longer I should expect to wait. . . .thanks!

Digital download. About 10 minutes between starting to d/l until it's installed, including the latest patch.... No idea how long snail mail will take?

As for the game, I have to agree with Marcus the Leper: This is a truly great game, and our PBEM is a nailbiter. Unfortunately I fried the motherboard of the computer I hace ACW installed on, so we have a standstill of about a week until I get the computer fixed. Anyways, the new patch is a blockbuster and greatly improve an already great game!
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

ARGGHHH, as if our game was not nerve wrecking enough! Hurry Widell, dying of anticipation here!!!
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

I've never played it..., but to judge from the "ghost town" lack of activity on this forum I'd have to guess it wasn't very good.[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Widell

Post by Widell »

Not sure what you mean, but that's the wrong conclusion as the main forum for ACW is not here at Matrix, but at AGEOD: http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

IMHO it's a great game even if the game Marcus refer to seems to have died due to RL issues. Several good AAR's over at AGEOD, plus the Modders are really active as well. Since my game with Marcus seems dead, I'm kind of looking for someone to fight out the PBEM mod with....

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”