Naval Unit Supply/Movement?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

pad152

Post by pad152 »

Naval units seem to go from several turns with full movement 100% supply then next turn to zero were there movement goes to 1 hex, that's going on?

F5 Map supply show green?

I'm not sure how supply works for naval units at sea. I don't like it when my naval units go from full movement to a movement of 1 hex on the next far from port!

seille

RE: Naval Unit Supply/Movement?

Post by seille »

Naval units have their supply stored onboard. They can use this supply for their movement over sea.
When they need new supply (stored supply low) you have to move to a own port or send them supply from a
HQ with enough supply and cargo ships. That´s another good way.
SlowHand

Post by SlowHand »

I need to hear about this too.

Most of my games have been land-focused, but currently I'm also playing a very Sea-Intensive (for me) PBEM, namely the World at War User scenario by tweber, available at AdvancedTactics.org here. Amazingly well-conceived, but there's tons of stuff the Allies need to get going from all corners of the globe on a Huugggge Map.

I *think* the supplies of the Naval unit are tracked in that far Left Column of the Unit View window, but I cannot figure out how fast those on-board supplies are being used up. I *believe* it helps to have 1 or so Carg Ships along with a larger fleet to boost its Supply-carrying Capacity --- check the top box in that columnn to see what the Max Supplies Capacity is for the current formation.
seille

Post by seille »

Behind that value you found (the stored supply) you can find a second value in brackets.
That is the number of turns you can feed these ships with. Based on the actual consumption.
Correct me when i´m wrong here, Vic.[:)]
Vic

Post by Vic »

Nope this is correct.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

Small screenshots always help when pointing these things out. [:)]
SlowHand

Post by SlowHand »

ORIGINAL: seille

Behind that value you found (the stored supply) you can find a second value in brackets.
That is the number of turns you can feed these ships with. Based on the actual consumption.
Correct me when i´m wrong here, Vic.[:)]

Ahh Haa !!! And Eureka! And thank you!

Makes perfect sense now. I always wondered what the number in brackets was (next to number at top of far left column) was and hadn't played with Naval Forces enough to puzzle that out.

I don't recall reading that in the manual? Checking 9.0 and 9.1 (pages 50 and 51) in the Manual ... no mention there.

At some point, hopefully some dutiful soul will accumulate these "Tips and Tricks" which, once approved by management, could be made into a sticky FAQ/Clarifications? I've got a text file going where I save little snippets like this, but is is huge and haphazardly organized. And incomplete.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Word of advice. Assign naval units to a headquarters in a port and make sure that Headquarters has a good number of cargo vessels and supply assigned to it ( cargo ships must be IN the headquarters). Then what ever port you pull into will have a reasonable chance of resupplying your naval units.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
SlowHand

Post by SlowHand »

ORIGINAL: bbmike
Small screenshots always help when pointing these things out. [:)]
OK, attached here is a Screenshot showing my Naval Force selected on the map. Looking at the Unit View info below that, at the top of the left-hand column labeled "Supply Stats," my total supplies with the Naval Force are 1096, and the number in parentheses, 4.7, is the number of turns of full movement (I think) I have left, if I correctly understood what seille and Vic said.

Assign naval units to a headquarters in a port and make sure that Headquarters has a good number of cargo vessels and supply assigned to it ( cargo ships must be IN the headquarters).

Amen to that, TwoTribes. I believe you can get a rough idea of how much supplies to send based on the (Supplies in Naval Force) / (Number of Turns of Movement remaining).
Attachments
Naval_Move..Supplies.jpg
Naval_Move..Supplies.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

I think having a cargo ship or two in a fleet with other warships will allow that fleet to carry alot more supplies provided those cargo ships are loaded up with supplies?
-Warspite3-
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

I seem to have run into a problem with this system. With a combat group the method of computing supply tells me how many tuns of supply I have in (). However, as the next three images show, a transport group of 5 cargo ships carrying two divisions that weigh a combined weight of 60 does not adhere to this method.

Image 1

Attachments
Ship1.jpg
Ship1.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

Image 2

Attachments
Ship2.jpg
Ship2.jpg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

Image 3 Could someone please help me understand this.

Attachments
Ship3.jpg
Ship3.jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 88 times
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Plutarch

I seem to have run into a problem with this system. With a combat group the method of computing supply tells me how many tuns of supply I have in (). However, as the next three images show, a transport group of 5 cargo ships carrying two divisions that weigh a combined weight of 60 does not adhere to this method.
It looks like the combined set of three units are all drawing their supplies from the onboard supplies that the transports started with. That is what would be expected. What problem do you see with this?
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

That makes sense. True. And I agree that it probably has something to do with the problem. However, I had the same problem with a different game where I had four separate transport groups. They were all made in the same location, supported by the same HQ and left port at the same time. One group had two units, two had three units, and one had four units loaded. They all had approximately the same loaded weight. They all ran out of supplies at the same time. (Sorry, no screen shots.) If it were a direct correlation, as you imply, to the number of units carried then the group carrying four units would have run out of supply before the others.

SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

supply is not related to the number of units tho - it is a factor of the number and type of sub-formations - each subformation has a supply useage (can't do screenshots sorry), so actual supply useage for a unit depends on the number and type of sub-formations in it.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

That still does not completely answer the problem. The group of four different transport units had to travel about 5-6 turns distance wise to reach the landing area and only made it 3-4 turns. How, exactly, am I supposed to determine how far I can move a loaded transport group?
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

That still does not completely answer the problem. The group of four different transport units had to travel about 5-6 turns distance wise to reach the landing area and only made it 3-4 turns. How, exactly, am I supposed to determine how far I can move a loaded transport group?
Aye, there's the rub. It would make sense if the transports displayed the expected number of turns adjusted for the actual supply usage of the travelling group, but clearly it is not. Good question.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I guess you don't - all you know is that they're going to use a lot more supply so be prepared by having a HQ handy with plenty of supply and some cargo ships and keep an eye on their supply each turn.

It's not a great problem - I didn't even realise that the number of turns supply was on the screen until this thread & I've run several major naval/amphibious ops in random games vs the AI.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Plutarch

Post by Plutarch »

I had gotten the impression that your ships had to be in port to receive supply from a post on this thread by TwoTribes and from another thread I had seen some time ago. I just went and tested what you say and I can transfer supply to a naval group(unit) of any type as long as I have the carry capacity in the attached HQ. Unlike land units where HQ's are the only type that can receive supply transfers made by the player.

Summary:

1. Land and Air units receive regular supply directly from the HQ, if a connection is possible, through the automated supply system that does not require player interaction.

2. Land units do not receive supply from HQ's by player controlled transfer unless that unit is also an HQ and the originating HQ has the carrying capacity in trucks.

3. Sea units receive supply directly from an HQ through the automated supply system if that sea unit is in a port that is directly connected to the attached HQ.

4. Sea units do not receive supply through the automated supply system if that unit is at sea.

5. Sea units that are at sea can receive supply from the attached HQ, by direct control of the player, if that HQ has the navy carry capacity because it has cargo ships in that HQ. The player has to do this like he would transfer extra supplies from HQ to another HQ.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”