Another Question - Blockade Runners

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

JustusII

Another Question - Blockade Runners

Post by JustusII »

Is there anything as the Union I can do to interfere with southern blockade runners? I understand I can't intercept lone ships (which they always seem to operate alone). Per the manual, it appears each Union ship has a chance to damage BRs if they are in the same province at the end of a segment, is it worthwhile to put some ships out patrolling the seas, hoping to hit one? Does it matter if it's Frigates or Ships? Thanks.
Gil R.

RE: Another Question - Blockade Runners

Post by Gil R. »

A fleet has a chance at intercepting runners, so long as the fleet is not blockading a port. Obviously, the fleet needs to be moving around the area freely, rather than tied down. So be aware of that key rule for interceptions.

I'm not at home so I can't consult the manual, but I'm 95% certain that ships must be in fleet containers to have an impact. Also, if the manual doesn't state that there's a difference between frigates and ships in this respect, there probably isn't any. (There's always the chance we left something out of the manual, but I don't think so.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Gil,
ORIGINAL: Gil R.
A fleet has a chance at intercepting runners, so long as the fleet is not blockading a port. Obviously, the fleet needs to be moving around the area freely, rather than tied down. So be aware of that key rule for interceptions.

Are you sure about that? I thought Eric said blockading ships also had a chance. After all, the blockade runners need to go to and from a port.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I'm pretty sure, but might be wrong. Not being at home, I can't check on any of this. I guess we'll have to wait for Eric to weigh in.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

This issue was raised previously and Eric confirmed that ships in a blockading fleet possessed the same kill chance for runners.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Oh. I guess I was remembering the discussion, but flipping around what the upshot was. Thanks.

I'm too busy editing bios to actually play the game, is my defense...
MilRevKo

Post by MilRevKo »

If a ship or fleet starts the turn in the same sea zone as a blockade runner is there a 10% chance of the runners destruction?

--
Utinam populus romanus unam cervicem haberet!
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Yes, blockading fleets should have a chance to damage runners.

(Quod Caligula dixit, numquam expectaveram aliquem scribere!)

moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Oh, an opportunity to brush off my dusty latin skills!
Here goes:

"Utinam populus romanus unam cervicem haberet!" = If only the roman people had (but) one neck!

Having a bit of trouble with the verbalforms in the second quote...
Let me see... "Dixit": present perfect tense, singular, third person - easy enough - but "expectaveram" ...?
God, it's beeen a while ... (thinking) ... ...
Ah, eureka! (greek, I know [;)])
It must be a ... pluperfect active indicative, first person singular (luckily one of the few I still know by heart) - now it makes sense.
So it's something like this (I hope):

"Quod Caligula dixit, numquam expectaveram aliquem scribere!" = What Caligula has said, I had never expected anyone to write (down).

See, now you can all sleep calmly tonight without nightmares of unknown latin quotations with big, pointy teeth chasing you down endless, darkened hallways...
All you have to do yourself is look up Caligula on Wikipedia and you'll even get the joke too.
Ain't I nice to you. [:)]

(God I need a vacation)

regards,

Briny
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Plus bonus, gratia tibi [&o]
MilRevKo

Post by MilRevKo »

Well done!  Good Show...
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
B/snafu

Post by B/snafu »

When your fleets intercept blockade runners--do the results of it show in the turn report or does it just hamper the southern supply level?

Case in point--I am currently in a game where I'm at late 62'. I have 5 fleets containg 2 ships & 3 frigates each--all are set on blockade at dfferent southern ports & all are set on intercept & seek battle. I have seen quite a few times where individual reb ships are in the same zone as one of my fleets & sometimes they stay there for a turn or so. I do not believe I have seen mention in the end of turn report of any "blockade runner" interception. Will it show? or if my fleets posibly intecepted some runners would it have only possibly reduced the resource gathering of the south for that turn only??

Lastly--does the armanant of the fleets factor in?? Due to my using all my "gun points" on repeatedly upgrading my western land armies (where most of the large scale fighting is going on in my current game) all of the ships in my fleets are still only "improvised". Would arming them better give me results in interception??
"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I don't think the USA gets a message when it damages blockade runners, though I think the CSA does.  I don't have the source code with me to check for certain.

Weapon type doesn't matter.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”