Prob with Modded Masterfile for random games/Tolkienesque

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

PDiFolco

Prob with Modded Masterfile for random games/Tolkienesque

Post by PDiFolco »

Hello
I wanted to try to play a "random tolkienesque" scen. I was supposing it should be possible..
So I saved the tolkien scen as a masterfile, and fiddled a lot to make it "generic" :
- Thrashed the map and all the placed units
- Thrashed the victory conditions, all the diplo cards and actions/events
- Activated the various "neutrals" regimes to make them standard factions
- Gave all the regimes the action cards to get monsters
- Changed the rulevars to make the game "random possible"
- Then changed the random settings of the rulevars to use correct town loctypes (the references where set for the standard masterfile, but the loctypes "city", "capitol" etc didn't exist anymore)
I made all this through trial and errors, I had many crashes before even generating a map.
Now I *can* make random maps with this Tolkienesque master .. but it still crashes when I try to play [:(]
I think there's a bug/problem : the regimes used for the random game seems to be "normal" ones (with the usual names "Communist Society", etc..), not the ones from the modded masterfile.
Then it's not even possible to edit the random game, it crashes immediately.

Is that normal ? Is the random game generator supposed to work with any masterile, or are there some other "hidden" limitations ?
[&:]
PDF
Vic

RE: Prob with Modded Masterfile for random games/Tolkienesque

Post by Vic »

The random generator only works with a file specially designed to be used by it.

I guess i have to do a tutorial on this too :)

i think you need to remove more from the tolkinesque scenario in order to make it work. also remove the regimes for example and probably the predef units too, and about anything that is not needed. mail me the file 'to vic@xs4all.nl and i'll have a quick look.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Thanks Vic
In fact now I'm near success, maps are generated, but I had a problem with the starting units that I set to SFType 0 instead of -1, plus some other small things. The predef units, cards and so on don't seem to be a problem [;)].

I'll try yo have stg as close as possible to working and send it to you (pride [:D]).
PDF
Vic

Post by Vic »

the random map generator only generates regimes with people=#0... so it will be hard to get a varied map.. i dont think this is a very good scenario to adapt to random games actually :(. also the action cards are tied to specific map coordinates for the Tolkinesque map...

but i will look into it if i can try to post an example of how to do a different random game masterfile soon though.. might be a week or two though untill i have time to that tutorial.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
pad152

Post by pad152 »

I really like the idea of a random map game using the Tolkinesque units! [:)]
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Hello
I have something that "works" ... well games are created, turns can be played, units built, but there are *alot* of errors due to scripts/events.
Plus I don't know how big chunk of map areas get "annexed" to players as soon as turn 2 !
So it's not really playable yet ... Vic, can you fix it ? [&o]

file is here : http://pascal.difolco.free.fr/Tolkienesque.ptmaster
PDF
Vic

Post by Vic »

No it is to complicated to do a quick fix. I will do a tutorial on making alternate random games in the next weeks though.

PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Well, I can try do it myself ...
What I'd like is to keep the special units (Dragons et al), activable by cards, else the game will be rather bland (or need alot more work to include magic/summons as "tech", that's close to making MoM2 [:D]). Is that possible ?
PDF

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”