Review @ Out of Eight

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

JaguarUSF

Review @ Out of Eight

Post by JaguarUSF »

A review of Advanced Tactics: World War II has been posted at Out of Eight PC Game Reviews:
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/11/a ... eview.html
Enjoy!
dave74

RE: Review @ Out of Eight

Post by dave74 »

Agree with the writer 100 %.

Congrats to Vic on a 8/8 score!!
JaguarUSF

Post by JaguarUSF »

The good thing about reviewing games is that I get titles like Advanced Tactics. The bad thing about reviewing games is that I get titles like You Are Empty. That one's going up next. Yuck.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanks for the positive an comprehensive review Mr Allen!

I hope to make the game even better with all the feedback i am getting in now from all the new players.

kind regards,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Nice review and justly deserved score!
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Good honest review. I've been disillusioned with reviews lately, they just don't match the gaming experience everything is 8/10 or 9/10 and once you load it up its a 5 or infinitly worse. Its refreshing when a game like Advance Tactics comes along and the gaming experience match the reviews a well deserved 8/8
hazxan

Post by hazxan »

My first message here, just to say I agree that this is a good, honest review. Not just the praise and high score, Out of 8 has accurately hit on the high *and* the low points. I've been looking  for a game with complexity somewhere between Panzer General/Advance Wars and TOAW/WIP. AT seems well placed in this niche. Even better, it appears flexible enough to cover the whole area between these extremes.

According to the manual, it's even possible to chain scenarios together, so a Panzer General type campaign of small scenarios is possible. At the other extreme, I guess we'll be seeing some 2,000 unit WW2 scenarios with 52 varieties of Panzer tank accurately modelled! [;)]

I also thought the initial scenario list was a bit lacking. Not a long term problem as I'm sure there's going to be plenty of user creations. More importanlty, the random map feature is much stronger than I anticipated. I'm actually playing more random maps than scenarios as I learn the game.

Glad that JaguarUSF mentions the long AI turn wait.  This is my biggest downer with the game right now. For small to middling scenarios, it's not so much the time taken, as looking at an empty screen makes it feel longer than it really is. If you could see the opponents moves happening (like TOAW) it would be 10 * better! I really hope the AI turn can be optimised in future patches. How about an "AI-" mode where the AI performs quickly but not so deep? It would probably still beat me!

GJK

Post by GJK »

No review on this game has even begun to hit on what I think is the games strongest point, and that is the depth and detail of the editor - and this review still gives it an 8 out of 8. Wait until the reviewer starts poking around in the editor!
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

Vic

That is a well deserved score. I could not agree more. You hit this one out of the park.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Is it a surprise !
"Tanks forward"
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Thanks for the positive an comprehensive review Mr Allen!

I hope to make the game even better with all the feedback i am getting in now from all the new players.

kind regards,
Vic
You deserve it, you did a DAMN good job!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Congratulations, Vic!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mllange

Post by mllange »

Congratulations - this is the first game in a long time I recommend without reservation, and it will improve with age.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

Thats actually a very accurate review. I don't think he "gave" AT an 8/8, it earns the 8/8 without breaking much of a sweat. Its simple, this is the birth of a classic and the rest just falls right into place. [:)]
-Warspite3-
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

Wonderful review of the best game I've played in a looong time. [:D] Congrats Vic. [&o]

Of course, if one of us forum junkies wrote such a gusher, someone (ravenhood, maybe [;)]) would cry out 'fanboi!'

[:)]
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Good review, giving a well deserved score! :)

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”