A Beginners Guide To Random Maps... By A Beginner!!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

dave74

RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!!

Post by dave74 »

I invest my pp's in researching a better type of tank. All in all things are going ok, my navy and airforce seem large enough and i am making ground on my battlefront against the british and germans. My only concern is if the ussr decides to open up a front against me i would be in trouble. I guess it will happen eventually but hopefully i will have time to prepare for it.

Attachments
img_068.jpg
img_068.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 190 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

TURN 26 -

My fleets have destoryed a lot of soviet supply and the soviets therefore move their feets out to attack mine -

Attachments
img_069.jpg
img_069.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 190 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

On the main battlefront i am managing to push the Germans back, although i am starting to take losses. The British also seem to have regrouped and are again launching attacks.

I have switched production on my home island to producing tanks and infantry instead of planes and ships as i need to push on in this area now.

Attachments
img_070.jpg
img_070.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 190 times
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Funny how the war is going free-for-all ! Maybe the game should have some minimal diplomacy to allow truces and alliances ! Or that will be for the next one ... [:'(]
PDF
dave74

Post by dave74 »

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Funny how the war is going free-for-all ! Maybe the game should have some minimal diplomacy to allow truces and alliances ! Or that will be for the next one ... [:'(]

You can set the ai's to be allied, but i would have stood no chance whatsoever then!!![;)]
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

I agree with PD. Some diplomacy beyond all AI allied from start to finish would be nice. Finite truces and alliances would add a little control, I think. [:D]

You say you're a beginner, dave, but I'll tell ya you've more skill than I do and I'm glad you're sharing! [8D] This continues to be inspirational for me. [&o]
Vic

Post by Vic »

it should be possible for a designer to make such a random game masterfile that uses action cards to accomplish such a feat.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

Really? Cool. [8D] Using the Editor, I presume. I think I'm going to read that part of the manual tonight. Thanks Vic.
darrellb9

Post by darrellb9 »

ORIGINAL: dave74
I really recommend this game, i cant stop playing. My girlfriend is none too happy with me tonight, i watched a film with her, bought her a chinese and then sneaked upstairs to play this!!![:)]

I've been sneaking away from my wife and daughters for days now. [:D]

This is a lot of fun to read. Thanks dave.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Brilliant reading Dave. You're doing really well :)

I haven't tried an island game yet. I was a bit concerned it might be a bit much for the AI but it seems to be coping, and looks great fun!
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

I guess I am really slow (witted, [:D]).

I know you answered this earlier, but it doesn't work yet for me: How do you change the name of "random regimes? I went into Edit, and click on Regime, and I can select their name but I cannot figure out anyway to get it changed. Need a little step by step I guess.

Also, nother dumb question. When you start up the scenario, do you already start with an HQ?
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

It seems to get more and more interesting each turn! Oh Dave, what if the ussr starts to take some ground on usa and ends up beating them back? Thats a good size continent the usa has and if ussr manages to get alot of it, they could be alot of trouble for you. Another thing, it looks like they are also going for the same continent you are fighting british and germany on. On the other hand, if the ussr is attacking germany, the same thing will happen to them what happened to british. They will end up fighting a 2 front war and you can beat germany back easily. Also, since I have only played the tutorial and a little of the training scenarios so far, I wonder what exactly does that number under the unit pieces indicate? Is it the strength of the unit? If so, that 999 fleet the ussr has will be hard to take out because all of your fleets there combined are just over 1000. I will check the manual see if it says anything about this. That airstrike on turn 23 was awesome, you did some solid damage and all your planes got away. I will be playing my own game soon, see how I do but I am not giving the AI a bonus and will probably only pick 1 or 2 AIs so I can get the hang of the game. [:D]
-Warspite3-
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

Well, I just played a random game with the same settings dave used in this game. Not even close, in fact it got so bad I had to surrender. By only turn 22, I was history. The regime who started on the same continent as me pretty much overran me. I lost my first few divisions quickly and then they kept coming until my capital was completely surrounded. I fought as best I could for being pinned down. Then, when I seen a fleet of 10 cruiser IIIs (from a different regime too!) off the coast adjacent to my main capital, that did it. [X(] This is what made me say, time to surrender. All I had was one or two destroyers so forget that. I don't even think Vic could have fought off this offensive I was dealing with. [:'(] Really it was near impossible. Now I am new to this game, but I did actually know enough of what I was doing thats for sure. Whats funny is I thought I was doing good at first, went out and quickly took a town and city. Immediately after is when I discovered the first couple of enemy units. Then 15 turns later, game over for me. Not sure what I could have done different, guess not play with all AI+, maybe just plain AI which I will try in my next game. I did say I was going to play AI with no bonuses in the post above but during setup I changed my mind, thought I could do good... but no way, maybe next time.  
-Warspite3-
therockyfroggy

Post by therockyfroggy »

LOL..Warspite. My first few games were about the same...had to surrender after 15-20 turns, mostly smaller maps. I started an island game but have not figured out how to disembark troops yet...I have cargo ships loaded with riflemen but don't ever see a disembark option...driving me nuts.

I usually never read AAR's but I'm glued to this one, and kind of upset there have been no updates tonight...lol...just kidding.
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

You think his girlfriend caught him halway up the stairs?

[:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]

Doh!

Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: therockyfroggy

LOL..Warspite. My first few games were about the same...had to surrender after 15-20 turns, mostly smaller maps. I started an island game but have not figured out how to disembark troops yet...I have cargo ships loaded with riflemen but don't ever see a disembark option...driving me nuts.

I usually never read AAR's but I'm glued to this one, and kind of upset there have been no updates tonight...lol...just kidding.

Click on a passenger unit inside the cargo ship unit and then the unload button will show up.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Sorry for no updates last night guys, will get some up here today (Pika - you were right i got press-ganged by the girlfriend into spending time with her last night[:)])

I would like to thank you all for your comments and support, it makes it worthwhile writing an aar - not that the fact that the game is so good dosent already!!
dave74

Post by dave74 »

TURN 27 -

Things are really hotting up, the soviets sank two of my subs for no loss on their turn and my armies were attacked by the british and germans, they held but losses are mounting.

There were also reports of land battles between the germany and the soviets as well as germany against britain.

The most important move by the ai was this succesful assault by the soviets on the US, giving them a beachead on the US home island -

Attachments
img_071.jpg
img_071.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 192 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

My combined air and land attacks have destroyed many german divisions on this turn. I am able to advance all along the front. I notice the British seem to be manouvering to outflank me, so i have to pull a few divisions from the line to watch my supply does not get cut -

Attachments
img_072.jpg
img_072.jpg (128.67 KiB) Viewed 192 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

For research i decide to invest in something that i hope will help me fight the more armour orientated formations i am now facing -

Attachments
img_073.jpg
img_073.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Return to “After Action Reports”