Supply - healing & consumption

Birth of America is an American Revolutionary War/French and Indian War grand strategy title based on a simultaneous monthly turn style of play.

Moderator: MOD_BoA/AGEOD

George40

Supply - healing & consumption

Post by George40 »

I am really enjoying the game, but stuck on 2 issues:
1. What are the rules for units healing damage while resting inside towns? Sometimes I park a damaged unit in a town and it starts healing right away. Other times it seems to sit there for months before it starts healing. I know they will not heal if besiged. These are units sitting in towns with no enemy near by and plenty of supply. I have not been able to figure out the pattern yet if there is one.

2. Is there anyway to tell how much supply an army consumes? I am struggling with a big army in NY that never seems to gain any ground on resupplying, but it seems to me that NY with a depot should be resupplying them.

Related issue: what is the supply penatly for raised and is there one for winter months?

Thanks for any help. I am really loving the game. I am going to try the Civil War title in this series when I have run through this one a few more times.

George

decaro

RE: Supply - healing & consumption

Post by decaro »

From BoA Instruction manual v 1.09: Rest & Refit

Unit elements (companies) can recover their losses by resting the parent unit/regiment in a friendly structure at a monthly rate of 20 % for towns, 30 % for depots and 10% for forts.

But if the element is destroyed, the unit will have to draw from the replacement pool; then it must rest in a level 2+ city or fort. If there aren't enough replacements to go around for all units, they will be allocated according to unit posture, passive posture getting the most replacements.

However, since units under seige won't train, I suspect that they don't get reinforcements either.

When my units get mauled, I combine similar troops by selecting both units and hitting Ctrl-C. One drawback to this is that units that have experience will lose it when they are combined w/units w/o experience.

Under the latest patch 1.12a, large armies don't fare well as far as supply is concerned, as was the case historically. You can check their status by the icons in the upper right of the message panel. I generally put large armies in port cities that have a friendly populace (popular support), but some regions can't support large armies well; use the supply filter to see where not to go for the winter.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
George40

Post by George40 »

Thanks Joe.  I think I figured out what was not making sense to me.

Each town seems to have a limited amount of unit healing it can provide per month.  So a large stack with many damaged units looks like nothing is happening because it is spread so thin.  In contrast, a single unit in a town heals reasonably quickly (more pressure to disperse, neat).

So healing is a limited supply per town, rather than applying to all.  The last thing I have not quite figured out is that some towns seem to contribute healing much faster than others.  It is not clear to me that size is the key nor is loyalty the key, so still tring to sort that one out.  I am guessing it is an interaction of several things, but I haven't figured that one out.

The manual certainly provides some basics, but not quite the level of specificity I am aiming for.

George
decaro

Post by decaro »

If you think the current (English) manual is lacking, you should have seen the first version, which was poorly translated from the French!

I've noticed that trying to train too many units in the same spot at the same time slows down each individual unit's transformation from militia into infantry; apparently the same holds true for Rest and Refit.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

I think that the same factors that affect supply production affect 'repairing' a regiment (eg. size of city, depot, fort, etc.)
Roads

Post by Roads »

'Healing' damaged subunits requires an excess of supply. If you can only just supply the army none of it's subunits can be healed. With the latest patch you pretty much need to have a depot to heal a fair number of units at once.

Return to “Birth of America”