Tutorial: Simple scenario creation 101

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Vic

RE: Tutorial: Simple scenario creation

Post by Vic »

Now click on the diplomatics tab and set the relation of the Netherlands with Germany to 0. (means war).

Now we have setup almost everything except the actual units.
I will start with making the HQ units: The Dutch Supreme Command and the German 18th Army.

Attachments
pic19.jpg
pic19.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

We need to go to the map and select the hex The Hague for the Netherlands and then click on the units button (a). We will press the add unit button (b) and then the add subformation button (c) for the newly created unit. If we select that subformation we can set its type to staff by pressing the SFtype button (d).
You might want to set the xp too. Also dont forget to set these units to be HQs by setting the HQ to true (e).

I will give the Dutch and German HQ enough staff to cover for all troops and add some trucks for transfer capability.

Then i will add some normal non-hq units as front units.

Dont forget to set the people of the german units to German instead of Dutch!

Attachments
pic20.jpg
pic20.jpg (96.46 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

On this picture you can see i created the two HQs. Now i'll change all towns HQs to their respective HQs. We do this by clicking on the hex of a location (a) and then on the set HQ button (b).

Attachments
pic21.jpg
pic21.jpg (214.34 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

if i have to add a lot of more or less the same units. i usually note down the number of the unit i want to copy (a), then add a unit (b) and select the make copy of other unit # (c) button. That last button will ask you for a unit number, give the number of the unit you want to copy.

Dont forget to set the HQs of the units by the way!

Attachments
pic22.jpg
pic22.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

The OOBs are ready. Yes the graphics are not customized much. You should set a different left corner graphics for the dutch and select nicer HQ graphics.. but i want to stick to the essentials here.
What you really still have to do is set initial production for all towns (make sure there is enough initial supply set). you do this like you would do in game.

But i noticed that the production is way to high compared to the time scale and unit sizes. So we will set production 75% lower.

Attachments
pic23.jpg
pic23.jpg (351.19 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

We do this by going to the peoples subscreen again (a), then selecting a people(b) and setting its production if owned by its own peoplegroup to 0.25 instead of 1.

One other thing thats odd for this scenario is that the range of aircraft is only 10 hex. which in real life scale is really small. So we will make a quick event that will set the range of aircraft a bit further.

Attachments
pic24.jpg
pic24.jpg (121.62 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

click on the events button and then click to add an event (A), add a code line to that event (b), then click to set that code line to exec (c) and set the Exec to ExecMoveType for movementtype 6 , and set its movement cost modifier to 50% of normal cost. This will double the range of aircraft for this scenario.

Now the last thing we have to do before calling this scenario basicly playable is to set everything ready. This is very important to do.

Attachments
pic26.jpg
pic26.jpg (141.25 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

Go to the settings subscreen (a) and press the Set Ready button (b). This will give all units full supply, readiness and the ammount of entrenchment they should have. Make sure to always press this before calling your scenario finished.

Save the scenario. And go and try give it a spin. If you play it a few times you'll see what you'll have forgotten to setup properly. Play testing your scenarios is very important. dont forget it. It always stays a bit of trial and error.

I hope this quickly written tutorial will be a bit of a help on making simple scenarios with the default units and rules.

Kind regards,
Vic

Attachments
pic25.jpg
pic25.jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Vic

Post by Vic »

Here is the scenario we just build.

This concludes the Simple Scenario Design 101.

I hope to do a Simple Scenario Design 102 on this scenario to show how to put the dots on the i.
Attachments
netherlands1940.zip
(99.63 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
rickier65

RE: Tutorial: Simple scenario creation 101

Post by rickier65 »

Excellent Vic - Thanks for taking the time to go through this!

Rick

Delyn Locksmiths

Post by Delyn Locksmiths »

This is great VIc, as soon as I have some paper I'll print the rest off and have a read. I hate reading from a screen!
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

This is great VIc, as soon as I have some paper I'll print the rest off and have a read. I hate reading from a screen!

Delyn,

Check out his community web-site. http://www.advancedtactics.org/

He has a Documents section where these are formatted in PDF for nicer printing.

Rick
Delyn Locksmiths

Cheers Rick, I had to drive 3 and a half hours to pick up some parts for a job tommorow - on bloody boxing day too. [&:] Still, now it means I can use the ink in my fathers printer [;)]
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

Cheers Rick, I had to drive 3 and a half hours to pick up some parts for a job tommorow - on bloody boxing day too. [&:] Still, now it means I can use the ink in my fathers printer [;)]

Silver linings and all that. Boxing Day? I've actually heard of that, but what is it?

Merry Christmas!
Rick
Delyn Locksmiths

I dunno [:D], the day after christmas.

Nothing to do with boxers as far as i know [&:]
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

How are national borders made?
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Yes thanks i'm using it to try to build a red dawn scen :)
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

Would it be possible to get a .pdf file of your Scenario Design tutorials?
Vic

Post by Vic »

there are PDFs available at www.advancedtactics.org

Rik81

Post by Rik81 »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”