Future plans for developing the title?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

dogancan

Future plans for developing the title?

Post by dogancan »

Hi,

I purchased the game 2 weeks before, but since it is a HUGE game with some complexity, I am still trying to learn basic dynamics.

anyway, my question is, I wonder about the future of the game. Is the title being developed (I do not mean patches but something like TOAW4 or so), or will it be developed? What are the plans for future? I checked forum titles briefly but could not find it. [8|]
This is Great War, everybody dies!
JAMiAM

RE: Future plans for developing the title?

Post by JAMiAM »

Yes, Ralph and I are planning to develop this more (a la TOAW IV).

However, don't worry about TOAW III being obsolete any time soon. We've still got some years to go on it, so enjoy your well-spent money until then...[;)]
dogancan

Post by dogancan »

thanks for the answer, it is good to knpw such a quality game will go on to develop - and will not develop too soon to render my purchase obsolete [:)]-
This is Great War, everybody dies!
DeadInThrench

Post by DeadInThrench »

If you have not downloaded and installed the latest patch from the TOAW3 page here on Matrix you should go there and get it. It has fixes, enhancements, and even some new scenarios.

I am hoping to see some of the suggestions I have made in a future patch along these lines. However, some of the suggestions I have made are too extensive and could not see the light until a TOAW4, if they so choose to include them.

A good source of scenarios is a web page called 'Rugged Defense'.... which has just about everything re TOAW, including scenario ratings, opponents wanted, etc. Appears to be a bit slower now than it used to be but still a good site.

I am relatively new also and two scenarios that I have played that are good for starters are the Italian East Africa scenario (as the British) and the Singapore scenario (as the Japanese). The latter can be a tough nut to crack starting as you start with your units having a supply problem and you have to cross some water and then they are in an 'unsupplied' state. You need to establish a supply line along the coast and the British can get two turns in a row and if they do they will try to push you out of that, thus leaving the units you landed still in an unsupplied state.

DiT

Link to Rugged Defense:

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/news.php
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
However, don't worry about TOAW III being obsolete any time soon. We've still got some years to go on it, so enjoy your well-spent money until then...[;)]

Thanks for this Jamiam. I guess it's about as close to a progress report as we're going to get. If it's years we're talking, this topic could get to be like watching paint dry. Still, it's a huge list, with a wide variety of requests. You and Ralph have my admiration and support(if it can be of value) for taking it on. I'd prefer more of a 'pay per patch' method though, I imagine big changes can require major code overhauls. I'll be watching for any updates.
vahauser

Post by vahauser »

And I'll offer a different opinion from macgregor.  I vote NO to a 'pay per patch' method of incremental changes to TOAW.  Here is why.

I play a lot of Steel Panthers.  There are a variety of mods to that game.  It becomes almost impossible to play PBEM because everybody is playing a different version of the game because of all the different patches/mods to the game.

I would much rather see TOAW kept uniform and simple to keep track of.  That way PBEM will be kept simple and standardized.  I vote YES to large comprehensive periodic updates/revisions, such as once every few years instead of every few months (which is what caused all the PBEM troubles with Steel Panthers).  I'd very much rather see TOAW 4 and TOAW 5 every few years instead of TOAW 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e, 3f, 3g, 3a1, 3b3, 3d3, 3f2, 3g3, etc., every few months (I vote NO to such incremental 'pay per patch').
Widell

Post by Widell »

Not sure if this is about voting for a patch policy, but the incremental, as opposed to "revolutionary", approach has worked quite well for, for example, WitP without causing too much trouble for the PBEM'ers. And, honestly, the risk you are taking with upgrading WitP in the middle of a PBEM game is, most of the times, a lot more significant to the TOAW PBEM's so, given that the developers take the time to secure "upgradability" when patching, I see no reason to wait with releasing patches. Why wait for years potentially? You'll only run the risk of the development being obsolete before you release it....
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

While I may prefer the 'pay per patch', it's largely because I want to see my own pet ideas as soon as possible. Do I want to pay for several patches before my wishes are met? Probably not. Though I would anyway. Jamiam and Ralph have obviously given this some thought and are leaning toward TOAW IV. TOAW III is very good. I don't think they should release an entirely new stand alone game but a patch, albeit a revolutionary one. How revolutionary? Say 24.99 worth. I like the idea of TOAW IV. I hope it doesn't take years.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

For the fans of TOAW it is always good to hear words such as these. Thanks to both you and Ralph.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

thanks for the answer, it is good to knpw such a quality game will go on to develop - and will not develop too soon to render my purchase obsolete -

Don´t worry. TOAW Never goes obsolete and that´s with a capital ¨N¨. [:D]
¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”