2 More Questions....

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

wzh55

2 More Questions....

Post by wzh55 »

1. What happens when a brigade is captured and then the side whose unit was captured gains a victory in the end? Ex. reb unit is captured, rebs gain the victory in the end. It seems that I have never seen that this unit "remained captured". Shouldn't that unit "remain captured" no matter who wins the battle? Just because the battle was "lost" doesn't mean that the prisoners were set free. If the unit is supposed to remain in enemy hands, I have never seen it, always the opposite. Things like that make it hard for me to continue hating then damn yankees. Just a joke and a thought. Some of my best enemies have turned out to be good northern boys.

2. Why is it that neither AI side never attacks at night? I see movement messages during the evening, but the AI has never attacked. I know the casualty level is reduced at night, but if you can come up on their rear or flank, you can at times, cause enough casualties to make it worth the fatigue level. Again, if the AI is programmed for night attacks, I have never seen it. Thought number 2.

Thanks again for the efforts to make this game better and better.

Attachments
1x_killcav.gif
1x_killcav.gif (6.45 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Bill Hawthorne
Ironclad

RE: 2 More Questions....

Post by Ironclad »

The AI used to attack at night just as during the day, except for reduced sighting ranges, which was very unrealistic and gave no natural break for units to recover fatigue (and sleep!) or reorganise. To stop this a change was made so that any unit attacking at night disorders itself. Result is realistic night behaviour from AI and players too - a vast improvement.
wzh55

Post by wzh55 »

I have many times continued to attack at night, (not all night, some rest IS needed), and the units I attacked with never became disordered (as the human player). Is this proper or is there some problem?
Bill Hawthorne
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thats interesting I thought it applied to both sides (which would be fair), although during night retreats it seems suspended. I think it was introduced at the last main update but I would need to check the readme.

Edit: It is there - "Any fire attacks at night now always result in fatigue for the attacker and defender". Didn't see any reference to charges - although it was a very quick look.
wzh55

Post by wzh55 »

I do receive fatigue if I continue to attack or even move at night; sometimes it is worth the effort. But never to the point of becoming disordered.
Bill Hawthorne
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Whatever the extent of the fatigue it certainly did the trick in curbing AI night attacks which was the reason for the change.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Re your first question I suppose for game purposes it makes it easier for the victors to recover any captured units otherwise it gets too complicated. I can't recall ever checking what happened.
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

To 1. Indeed victors gets any captured troops back. My assuminption has always that how it suppose to be. In regards to realismn i think u could argue both ways, so m fine with it.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”