Cannot start game

Post bug reports, ask for tech support and general requests for help with getting Maximum-Football working in this forum. This is for official support on official versions. Reports based on public beta versions should go in the Public Beta forum.

Moderator: David Winter

Silverbullet

Cannot start game

Post by Silverbullet »

Today when i went to start game I received an error message.
"ActiveX cannot create object".
I have never had a problem before.
I updated my monitor and grapphics card driver today !!!
The grass is always greener, the air is always fresher, and the hot dogs are always better at the ballpark.
DirkGildun

RE: Cannot start game

Post by DirkGildun »

What operating system are you using, Windows XP or Vista?

Hopefully, someone can come up with a good solution for you. Last year, I had the exact same problem with the original version of the game, and the only way I could fix it was to re-install Windows (XP). Some system file or other had gotten corrupted over time.
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet »

I am forced to use that absolutely horrible Vista.
I bought a new computer and they said they could not take Vista off and install XP Pro like I wanted.
The grass is always greener, the air is always fresher, and the hot dogs are always better at the ballpark.
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Hi.

The game does work on Vista. I run it on my vista machine often during the development and testing process as do a couple of the private testers.

There are a couple of things you may want to check.

1. Ensure your graphics drivers are up to date.

2. Ensure you have the most recent version of DirectX. The game installation package update this for you. Do not cancel the process. The computer needs to have an internet connection for the directx update to work properly.

3. Do the utilities work? (can you open the utilies and view/edit teams and players?).

4. How exactly did you install the game? Did you install 1.0 then update to 2.0? Or did you use the stand alone installation package for version 2.0?

5. Check that you are installing as an administrator. Vista has enhanced(some would say annoying) security features and the problem could potentially be caused by your account not having enough privilages to install software.

edit - Also be aware that the system specifications for running the game on vista are much higher than on WindowsXP. This is simply due to the higher system requirements of the OS itself. On one of my laptops, when I run the XP partition, the game runs extremely smoothly at all the high resolutions. Using the same hardware but from the vista partition, I have to reduce the screen resolution down to 800*600 to get acceptable frame rates.

What sort of machine is this by the way?

thanks
David 
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet »

I reinstalled the 2.18 update, and the game works now.

But I do have the following.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. Ensure you have the most recent version of DirectX. The game installation package update this for you. Do not cancel the process.

I purchased the 2.0 version and I did skip the DirectX because Vista has DirectX 10 so I felt it wasn't neccessary.

What sort of machine is this by the way?

HP Media Center PC m8100n TV PC
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
3072MB System Memory
500GB Hard Drive
Nvidia 8500GT Graphics Card

I purchased it about 6 weeks ago and I have all the drivers up to date. 

edit - Also be aware that the system specifications for running the game on vista are much higher than on WindowsXP. This is simply due to the higher system requirements of the OS itself. On one of my laptops, when I run the XP partition, the game runs extremely smoothly at all the high resolutions. Using the same hardware but from the vista partition, I have to reduce the screen resolution down to 800*600 to get acceptable frame rates.

So I can install XP on my machine even though I have Vista.
Would that be an an advantage or a detriment to my Computer? 

5. Check that you are installing as an administrator. Vista has enhanced(some would say annoying) security features and the problem could potentially be caused by your account not having enough privilages to install software.

The game is already installed so how would I know if it is installed as an administrator?

Thanks
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

I purchased the 2.0 version and I did skip the DirectX because Vista has DirectX 10 so I felt it wasn't neccessary.

The game uses DirectX 9.0, not 10. DirectX9 is still being updated. The version of DX9 that the game was compiled to was released several months after vista. As the game is working for you then at some point your version of DX9 has been updated.

DirectX (both 9 and 10) is updated about once every two months.

So I can install XP on my machine even though I have Vista.
Would that be an an advantage or a detriment to my Computer?

You can put multiple operating systems on any computer as long as the computer is setup before hand to do that. I would not expect any store bought computer to do that out of the box and I would not attempt to do that unless you're comfortable partitioning your drive or using a ghost system.
The game is already installed so how would I know if it is installed as an administrator?

If you installed it and it ran, you installed it as the administrator [:)]

Glad it has been sorted out.

thanks
David
"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet »

David;

Thank YOU very much for getting back to me so quickly on every issue.

Return to “Maximum-Football Support”