Need Advice - Not for Divebomber's eyes.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Need Advice - Not for Divebomber's eyes.

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

I believe my surprise is complete - my landings in Northern Japan are imminent.

Now that that is out of the way: in my game (late July '42, stock, PDU's off) my China defensive line has held, and Changsha is nearly at a level 7 airfield. Supplies in China are good, I have 144 P-40B's and E's along with Spitfires and Hurricanes. Soon I intend to move the bulk of my fighters to Changsha along with 64 B-17E's and 48 B-24D's. I intend to start an aggressive anti-resource bombing campaign throughout Siam, China, and Korea.

Here are my questions:
1) Should I await only somewhat clear weather for strikes of entire groups?
2) Or should I split up my two big Wings, and attack with 1/3 of each every turn?
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
1EyedJacks

RE: Need Advice - Not for Divebomber's eyes.

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

I believe my surprise is complete - my landings in Northern Japan are imminent.

Now that that is out of the way: in my game (late July '42, stock, PDU's off) my China defensive line has held, and Changsha is nearly at a level 7 airfield. Supplies in China are good, I have 144 P-40B's and E's along with Spitfires and Hurricanes. Soon I intend to move the bulk of my fighters to Changsha along with 64 B-17E's and 48 B-24D's. I intend to start an aggressive anti-resource bombing campaign throughout Siam, China, and Korea.

Here are my questions:
1) Should I await only somewhat clear weather for strikes of entire groups?
2) Or should I split up my two big Wings, and attack with 1/3 of each every turn?

I would not divide my forces - I'd hit targets with everything you've got. It's the divide and you fall concept...
TTFN,

Mike
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IMO, it is too early for this unless you have the Burma road open. Those big 4e's will eat up your supplies in a few days. [:-]  If you do so, do it only for shock value to force him to react to your moves for a bit (less than a weeks bombing). [:D]  Check out your supply situation before you start and then after a days worth of bombing to see if you can maintain it for any length of time.

I would base them at Calcutta/Dacca as you have plenty of supply in India. Hit what you can reach from there. If you are going to base bombers in China, use the B-25/26 and British 2e bomber that have longer legs.
[center]Image[/center]
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

IMO, it is too early for this unless you have the Burma road open. Those big 4e's will eat up your supplies in a few days. [:-] If you do so, do it only for shock value to force him to react to your moves for a bit (less than a weeks bombing). [:D] Check out your supply situation before you start and then after a days worth of bombing to see if you can maintain it for any length of time.

I would base them at Calcutta/Dacca as you have plenty of supply in India. Hit what you can reach from there. If you are going to base bombers in China, use the B-25/26 and British 2e bomber that have longer legs.

The Burma road is inexplicably open. Dive had it cut for a long time besieging my units at the river crossing but abandoned the effort a few weeks ago. Supplies are flowing; all my bases are fat, dumb, and happy. I already bombed his Burmese resources flat a while back and ran out of targets. My experience levels are in the 80's now.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (143.08 KiB) Viewed 43 times

Tho. Jackson
okami

Post by okami »

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

IMO, it is too early for this unless you have the Burma road open. Those big 4e's will eat up your supplies in a few days. [:-] If you do so, do it only for shock value to force him to react to your moves for a bit (less than a weeks bombing). [:D] Check out your supply situation before you start and then after a days worth of bombing to see if you can maintain it for any length of time.

The Burma road is inexplicably open. Dive had it cut for a long time besieging my units at the river crossing but abandoned the effort a few weeks ago. Supplies are flowing; all my bases are fat, dumb, and happy. I already bombed his Burmese resources flat a while back and ran out of targets. My experience levels are in the 80's now.

Looking at this map, I would change your strategic objective. Flatten Akyab and take it back. Rebase your bombers there and flatten Hanoi, Saigon and Kuala Lumpur. Land and take Sabang especially if he has improved it's airfield. With this flatten Singapore and Palembang. Japans chief weakness is supplies. Make them spend supplies. Flatten all ports and airfields and then take out resources. After you have done all that then take out oil. You will deplete his economy not at the source but at the end of his supply lines thus curtailing his ability to strike back. China will cost to much and will be a burden on your supply lines always try to bomb China from outside of China and leave those supplies for defense or offensive operations in China.
"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

This is July 1942??  I need to talk with your opponent!  Yikes is my official comment....

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

This is July 1942?? I need to talk with your opponent! Yikes is my official comment....

That bad, huh?

Okami,
You have given me an idea, and I appreciate it. I am now planning a surprise landing at Sabang a few months from now WITHOUT the work you mentioned as preparation. I intend to come at the base out of the blue from the West with a Marine Div. With sufficient surprise I think I can take the place and land serious reinforcements before Dive can react. The logistics still have to be worked out, but I think a combined US-Brit CV force is required.
At the moment I have nearly 3000 AV's preparing at Dacca for Mandalay: I intend to move on the place via Myit in a couple of months. I welcome all the forces he moves into Akyab and Imphal because of the tenuous supply lines. I have to mention that my opponent has been making a major effort through the Aleutians lately that I am pretty sure I can stifle.
I have enough PP's saved to transfer the 1st USMC to Karachi, but I need to think about how I will go about this.

Tho. Jackson
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I'm glad your adding screen shots. I haven't played stock in so long, I can hardly remember what is on the map and how much diiferent it is from AB's extended map.
Now, I'm getting ready to jump into RHS (you need to try to install it and just look at the map v7...sweet [&o]). Or just visit my AAR once I get my game with John III started. [;)]

If you want to stay closer to home, go for the Andamann Islands to the west of Ragoon.
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”