Eliminating pockets

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

IS2m

Eliminating pockets

Post by IS2m »

Greeting all.

In my PBEM game, I encircled 11 Chinese corps at the crossroads east of Homan (Stock game w/ Nik Mod). This was in late January 1942. I then marched some troops west to capture Homan and Sian. I have bombed, shelled, and assaulted the daylights out of the pocket for almost three months. (It is now April 1942) Roughly how long can a large pocket like this hold out? I know better than to shock-attack the pocket, and I only assault when my disruption/fatigue is at about 10/30. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks again
niceguy2005

RE: Eliminating pockets

Post by niceguy2005 »

For some reason troops in the "wilderness" (non-base hex) can hold out a very long time without surrendering. If they are at a base you just have to keep doing what your doing.

The final assault odds during a combat phase (not casualties and not initial or raw AV numbers) will be your best gauge. The troops will surrender when the odds are high enough and supplies and moral are low enough. Once that happens you NEED to use shock attack. Once you start getting 3:1 odds or better you can start to shock attack and that will kill them off in droves.

Just keep doing a good job of managing disruption of your troops.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
IS2m

Post by IS2m »

Thanks Niceguy.
trollelite

Post by trollelite »

As a matter of fact. If you don't eliminate these chinese, then they could never respawn anywhere.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: trollelite

As a matter of fact. If you don't eliminate these chinese, then they could never respawn anywhere.

True, but if you eliminate them, you get the victory points. I tend to use 3-4 days of bombardment and
1 day of deliberate attacks. Use all the aircraft you can afford( this is great for training new or rebuilt
air units ).
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

Also when they respawn they will be at 1/3 strength and if the supply situation is poor it can take a long time to rebuild.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

Return to “The War Room”