New Titles? Fredrick the Great? 30 Years War? Marlborough?

AGEOD’S American Civil War - The Blue and the Gray is a historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

barbarossa2

New Titles? Fredrick the Great? 30 Years War? Marlborough?

Post by barbarossa2 »

I know this may be a little early, but I am wondering what other types of titles people would like to see from this system in the future. I know that most of us are damned excited about the Napoleonic title which we can soon expect. But what is next?

I would love to start a wish list here. I will post a few possibilities (primarily within the "Age of Rifles") which balance commercial potential with interesting gaming, and a style of warfare which would be suitable for this type of system and would love to get votes here.

1. The Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871)
2. The Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905)
3. The Wars of Frederick the Great (1750s and 1760s)
4. The English Civil War (1642-1651)
5. The Campaigns of Marlborough and the War of Spanish Succession (1700s)
6. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648)
7. The Italian Wars (1495-1530s)
8. Any of the many wars between Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Russia, etc. which took place through the 1600s and 1700s. Fascinating stuff. I recently compiled a list of battles and battlemaps from the era and entered over 500 of them in Google Earth (complete with political boundaries), and these are fascinating, hard fought wars for national existance in many instances. Where are they on the market?

Another possibility would be to do an engine which supports, say campaigns of the 1700s in it, provide a map of Europe, and give the players around 10 campaigns from the era... ranging from Marlborough's amazing Blenheim campaign to Charles XII's campaign against Russia (which ended in disaster at Poltava), to Frederick the Great's campaigns. Of course, the greatest would be to have this type of 1700s engine, and give players a scenario design capability which would allow the placement of everything from depots to units to fortresses and poltical options. Maybe this is all dreaming. But like I said, I am ready for something new in gaming and am getting pretty tired of seeing the same titles... one after another. An AGEOD "Bulge '44" would probably force me out of the market entirely! [:D] Thoughts?

Just getting tired of the same old Civil War/Napoleonic/WWII rigamarole and would like to see something...ANYTHING different.

I am often amazed at how many fascinating and stunning campaigns of history are completely overlooked. I am an American living in southern Germany, and recently had an American friend come and visit me. So used to the standard Civil War/WWII offerings, I took him to the battlefields of Blenheim (1704 - War of Spanish Succession) and Nördlingen (1634 - Thirty Years War - we were stunned to find remnants of earth works over 370 years old!). I made sure to print out battle maps and histories of the campaigns then read them to him on the way to the battlefield (while he drove). These were amazing and fascinating campaigns upon which the fate of Europe hinged. My friend is now interested in these periods as well and we are both looking for offerings on the same level as Birth of America.

My two cents.
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.
denisonh

RE: New Titles? Fredrick the Great? 30 Years War? Marlborough?

Post by denisonh »

I believe the next two "new" titles for Ageod are "Napoleon's Campaigns", which this engine is well suited to handle, and "Vainglory of Nations", representing the 19th Century period of Eurpean colonialism.

Both should be great given their products out now.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi barb, there was a poll on the AGEOD forum about this. I totally agree with you, it would be nice to see some games cover less well trodden periods (and some BBC or History channel documentaries for that matter).
I voted for an English Civil War version but I would be happy with any really. I think some other more recent threads have even suggested obscurities like the WW1 campaign in Africa.

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014

Cheers, Chris

P.S. If anyone has a few grand to invest I think they are always open to suggestions.

anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Out of the list, I would put Frederick the Great's campaigns and the Great Northern War up there at the top. Probably throw in the Hundred Years War as well.
barbarossa2

Post by barbarossa2 »

Hobbes... I liked the idea of "seed capital" to get AGEOD to do something "different."

If anyone at AGEOD is listening, how much "seed capital" would be needed to get you to do a 1690-1783 (perhaps even 1495-1783?) version of the game in Europe which would allow players to design their own scenarios (including fortresses, supply levels, perhaps even a few political options). Just curious. Perhaps this is impractical. Pehraps 1690-1783 with 15 scenarios from the period would be adequate. ;D

Cheers![:D]
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I was very interested in doing this a year ago before my circumstances threatened to change. They were certainly interested to hear from potential investors and the price was not as much as you may think if it was a new version of the existing game engine (mainly artwork and OOB's).
Things may have changed since then but if anyone is interested I would advise you to contact them.

Chris

berto

Post by berto »

I vote for, and would most certainly purchase:

3. The Wars of Frederick the Great (1750s and 1760s)
6. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648)
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
korrigan

Post by korrigan »

ORIGINAL: barbarossa2
If anyone at AGEOD is listening, how much "seed capital" would be needed to get you to do a 1690-1783 (perhaps even 1495-1783?) version of the game in Europe which would allow players to design their own scenarios (including fortresses, supply levels, perhaps even a few political options).
ORIGINAL: Hobbes
They were certainly interested to hear from potential investors and the price was not as much as you may think if it was a new version of the existing game engine (mainly artwork and OOB's). Things may have changed since then but if anyone is interested I would advise you to contact them.

Yes, contact Philippe Thibault, when he does not design games he is the guy doing all the business things [:D]
To answer your question specificaly, a scenario editor module would ask for an important work. Pocus could say better but I would say at least as much important as for the improved battle module you're asking for. We keep everything in mind but right now, our work agenda is full with the new economy and diplomacy modules needed for VGN.

Best regards,

Korrigan

AGEOD Team
Support independent developers!
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

You've got my vote for Frederick the Great Campaigns & the Thirty Years War as well.

I still remember SPI's magazine game of Frederick the Great.  The AGEOD's system fits very well for that period.  It's not too far off from the Revolutionary War time frame.
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

You've got my vote for Frederick the Great Campaigns & the Thirty Years War as well.

I still remember SPI's magazine game of Frederick the Great.  The AGEOD's system fits very well for that period.  It's not too far off from the Revolutionary War time frame.
barbarossa2

Post by barbarossa2 »

Actually, my vote would be:
1. Thirty Years War
2. Frederick the Great
3. English Civil War
in that order. ;D

[:D]
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Noypi53

I still remember SPI's magazine game of Frederick the Great.

SPI's Frederick the Great title was one of the greatest war games of all time, IMO. (And I've been playing war games for 45+ years.)
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Shawkhan

Post by Shawkhan »

...Actually, I think that Frederich der Grosse and Napoleon were close enough contemporaries to include him in Napoleon's Campaigns just as the War of 1812 and the French/Indian War is included with Birth of America. Similarly, The English Civil War and the Thirty Years War could be included in one title. More Bang for the Buck! Couldn't hurt sales, that's for sure. Put me down for one of each.
PJL1973

Post by PJL1973 »

Wouldn't surprise me if there were user made mods for those campaigns once the Napoleon's Campaigns game is out.
berto

Post by berto »

But will the user mods be of high quality? I am under the impression that scenario mods are tremendously difficult, what with getting the graphics, the OB, and the era- and situation- special rules done right.

Return to “American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray”