MWiF Map Review - Africa

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

RE: MWiF Map Review - Africa

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Tanganyika. A great name to pronounce.

Attachments
Afr1015200710.jpg
Afr1015200710.jpg (487.2 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

The Horn of Africa

Attachments
Afr1015200711.jpg
Afr1015200711.jpg (419.73 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

Red Sea

Attachments
Afr1015200712.jpg
Afr1015200712.jpg (420.77 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

14th and last in series. The Middle East.

Attachments
Afr1015200713.jpg
Afr1015200713.jpg (366.82 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Steve

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Beautiful stuff. [&o]

I think it would be better to label the islands with their controlling country, frex Fernano Po (Sp) or (Spain) makes more sense than (Rio Muni), even if you are using the political status of Rio Muni inside the program to keep track of who controls those hexes. Didn't Rio Muni itself used to have a port? Not that this area of the map will ever see any action.

'Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean' seems like a draft version and a simple (Fr) would look better I think. If it is too hard to figure out how to keep track of their political status, get rid of them. This map suffers a little from putting every speck of dry land on it. Recall that every hex on the map allows two corps + a division + hundreds (or a thousand+ with an engineer or HQ unit) of airplanes to exist on it. Is this really true for each of those islands? Again it won't matter for game play but if they don't matter and are small, a less cluttered map would be better in my opinion. The only thing that would ever happen to them would be an additional bit of computing task in the Vichy phase.

Was it really called "Trucial Oman" and not "The Trucial States" ?
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

The Trucial Oman was never a single entity with a recognised ruler. It was a collection of disparate Sheikhdoms with different needs and aspirations and each of which dealt with the British in their own way and to suit their own needs.

The British set up a Trucial States Council in 1951 under the direct chairmanship of the British Political Agent in Dubai. This council was the direct ancestor of the present day UAE Supreme Council.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: brian brian
'Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean' seems like a draft version and a simple (Fr) would look better I think. If it is too hard to figure out how to keep track of their political status, get rid of them. This map suffers a little from putting every speck of dry land on it. Recall that every hex on the map allows two corps + a division + hundreds (or a thousand+ with an engineer or HQ unit) of airplanes to exist on it. Is this really true for each of those islands? Again it won't matter for game play but if they don't matter and are small, a less cluttered map would be better in my opinion. The only thing that would ever happen to them would be an additional bit of computing task in the Vichy phase.
It is their rightfull name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattered_ ... dian_Ocean
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: brian brian
I think it would be better to label the islands with their controlling country, frex Fernano Po (Sp) or (Spain) makes more sense than (Rio Muni), even if you are using the political status of Rio Muni inside the program to keep track of who controls those hexes. Didn't Rio Muni itself used to have a port? Not that this area of the map will ever see any action.
Rio Muni is the controler of this island. Santa Isabel is also the only port of Rio Muni.
It is different on the WiF FE map (not because of me, because of the original CWiF map's designers), a rare place where the map is not the same, but I've searchd it and it is more accurate that way.
Largus_Means

Post by Largus_Means »

Wow, thanks Steve and the rest of the team, maps are unbelievable!!! Any chance we can have a peak at Argentina/Chile, always fun to have a little cross Andes war down there. :-P

Cheers
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Largus_Means

Wow, thanks Steve and the rest of the team, maps are unbelievable!!! Any chance we can have a peak at Argentina/Chile, always fun to have a little cross Andes war down there. :-P

Cheers
There is a thread somewhere in the forum where I did a similar circumnavigation of South America. Indeed, the whole world has been done at least once previously. I redid Africa because it was out of date. I'll try to do one large land mass per week - as a review for newcomers and to show any changes that might have been done. To that end, I'll follow the order in which I originally did these, replacing the oldest next each time.
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Mziln

The Trucial Oman was never a single entity with a recognised ruler. It was a collection of disparate Sheikhdoms with different needs and aspirations and each of which dealt with the British in their own way and to suit their own needs.

The British set up a Trucial States Council in 1951 under the direct chairmanship of the British Political Agent in Dubai. This council was the direct ancestor of the present day UAE Supreme Council.
I suppose this is the reason why it is merely a Territory, and not a Minor Country.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
There is a thread somewhere in the forum where I did a similar circumnavigation of South America. Indeed, the whole world has been done at least once previously. I redid Africa because it was out of date. I'll try to do one large land mass per week - as a review for newcomers and to show any changes that might have been done. To that end, I'll follow the order in which I originally did these, replacing the oldest next each time.
USA map starts here :
tm.asp?m=1251212&mpage=11&key=

Central America starts here :
tm.asp?m=1251212&mpage=13&key=

South America starts here :
tm.asp?m=1251212&mpage=14&key=

There might be updates in following pages.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

Sorry, double post.
Largus_Means

Post by Largus_Means »

Thanks, thats exactly what I was trying to find.

Cheers
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

Africa Map looks good brings back lots of good memories. How were the extents of the various deserts/other terrains determined ? just for interests sake please.

re citys:- Jo'burg really should be there I believe, as for the twin cities hmmm not that important?, does that mean Buda and Pest are two cities ? what about Dallas/FortWorth? (I've not seen the US map)

Cheers Dale

We're here for a good time not a long time!
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: dale1066

Africa Map looks good brings back lots of good memories. How were the extents of the various deserts/other terrains determined ? just for interests sake please.
The original ADG map designer decided these. In the MWiF project, we only reviewed it all, and maybe changed 0,01% of what they did.
re citys:- Jo'burg really should be there I believe, as for the twin cities hmmm not that important?, does that mean Buda and Pest are two cities ? what about Dallas/FortWorth? (I've not seen the US map)
Johannesburg is here.
Budapest is one city only.
Dallas / Fort Worth are here too.

Return to “World in Flames”