HELP A NEW GUY PLEASE???

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

17poundr

HELP A NEW GUY PLEASE???

Post by 17poundr »

GREETINGS FROM FINAND..

AS an old TOAW-ACOW, and now, toaw-III player (with a history going back through the panzer general series, and then avalon hill boardgames, my first one being a cheap but simple game called 'armour at prokhorovka', that didnt even have a hardback playing board, but it got me hooked when I was nine back in 1979-80)...

And having learned all kinds of rulebooks, up to squad leader and cross of iron, which was getting too micro managering for me, and was a pain, as I never got to play the brits in 'crucible'...

Anyway, some games have just clicked, like from boargames, avalon hills, Barbarossa, and *Panzerkrieg*'Von Manstein on the southern steppes of Russia' (anybody remember that, what a classic)!

Then I got too old to be counting ever falling piles of small cardboard chips... But later when I got my pc, Panzer General came in, and although it didnt have any supply, ect, I loved it, and have loved a fiew other games, I played close combat 2-5... Aand, i just Looove TOAW. they work for me, it's so easy to start, then I got a game called 'decisive battles in Europe, Italy', and I thought, do'h! This coulnt be more boring, I mean I get it, essentially the same, but hey, way behind toaw imho.

Ok, then I hear about this series called Panzer Campaigns, I'm asshured it wont be a dissapointment, the guy is a good guy from www.armchairgeneral.com forums, and we have debated military history there... He recommended the Market Garden 44 for me.

I'm not shure it was a good choise for a guy who is on his first run, a clean desert perhaps would have got me focused on learnign the controlling, as it doesnt 'go' as easy as TOAW for example...

Some games are like automatic cars, toaw is one of them, others are gear shifting car's. And you have to take your time in learning the clutch, ect... If you dont have the patience, you will never get to the streets...

Panzer Campaigns, seems like a good ride, but it's a hand shifter all right.

No prob's, I'm european, our cars all have gear shifting sticks and foot clutches...

But, anybody, please after trying to play the tutorial minded stuff, I feel I'm just not getting it...

I have a funny way of learning, things go in steps, not an even curve, and I just havent got onto that step where I can take off and start playing for real, and then slowly learn the rest...

So, Please, give me some pointers, as what to try to do with a couple of units, and which scenario/campaignette, whatever, to choose to get the units that would get me on the drivers seat the fastest... I was figuring trying with lots of ss armour and fun stuff against some fairly helpless polish paras, but with the XXX corps coming along, so I hopefully get the grip, in time for the enemies armour... Something like that could 'trick my brain', into learning the way to play! [:)]

So, humbly yours,

Mr Poundr... And, btw, after I learn some, if anybody wants to pbm as a teacher, I wont forget, I have swapped books, dvd's ect with guy's in the US and Russia via my ranting in the Armchairgeneral forums, and I'm totally reliable... So, if you are interested in knowing or learning about Finnish based military matters, medals, films, ect, just dont be a stranger... I'm very friendly.

And I'm half British, so my english is good, even if I mispell the odd word...
Mr Poundr.

Attachments
FRIENDSST..OGETHER.jpg
FRIENDSST..OGETHER.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

"Gunner, panzer eleven 'o' clock, shoot"!
Jason Petho

RE: HELP A NEW GUY PLEASE???

Post by Jason Petho »

I would be happy to PBEM with you and provide some assistance.

Jason Petho
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

If you are looking for help with HPS Panzer Campaigns, try the blitz, Gamesquad and Wargamer forums.

This forum is for Matrix version of Talonsoft's Campaign Series, a platoon level game.

Have fun either way.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
17poundr

Post by 17poundr »

Yep, indeed... I have no idea how to pbm, and I got your message, I confused it with a toaw-3 related post, in the same forum, so I kind of answered thinking about a toaw-3 pbm, but hey, this sounds great too! [:)] Do you want to send me an e-mail with a 'move' that I load into the Market Garden game?

Or...?
Yours truly,

Mr Cook, aka, Mr Poundr.

Attachments
AadvarkF..campers.jpg
AadvarkF..campers.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 84 times

17poundr

Post by 17poundr »

I was wondering about that game... What is the Matrix version of Talonsoft's Campaign Series like?

do the units start to fire automatically as a regular unit would if the usual settings are on, or do you control everything??

Is it pure 'you go, I go'? Or realtime? Or somewhere in between (ability to stop time, and/or viewing both sides moves as a one minute 'movie'), style game???

Attachments
THEHOLYTHREE.jpg
THEHOLYTHREE.jpg (133.45 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

You can get a feel for how the John Tiller's Campaign Series plays by watching the tutorial video located here:

tm.asp?m=1546386

Jason Petho
andym

Post by andym »

Pounder,its probably one of the all time great games for the PC!I like you graduated from Cardboard games a la AH and the like.This game is the dogs danglies,you wont regret it and its not that hard to pick up.Just watch your Panzers go up in flame then remember not to do the same next time!LOL

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
british exil

Post by british exil »

Nice point about tanks going up in flames.
Just been relieved of my duty in the Kursk campaign, just as well I was on the Eastern Front,nowhere worse to be sent. Probably just get put in front of the firing squad.[8|]
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
thomas6

Post by thomas6 »

Maybe an After Action Report designed for new players would be a good idea...?

I'd write one myself but the Eighth Army have just moved on Gazala and.... Arrrrgh!

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”