The MWiF Test Plan

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Greyshaft

The MWiF Test Plan

Post by Greyshaft »

Hi Troops,
Here's an update on the MWiF Test Plan. This is being posted in the Public Forum since:

a) there's nothing in it at this point which is not already Public Information (i.e. the existing WiF Ruleset), and

b) this document will form the basis of the future structured testing of MWiF so a knowledge of how the Test Plan works will really look good on the resume of aspiring betatesters (plus contributing to the Forums, helping Capitan with the unit writeups, giving Steve a shoulder massage etc etc – gee… how many hints can I drop?)

So how does it work?

The WiF ruleset was already divided into logical chapters by ADG. I have copied those chapters into separate tabs of an Excel spreadsheet (see attached) and divided the rules into cells with approximately one paragraph per cell. The right hand column of that Excel sheet will be used to provide information about reconciling WiF and MWiF such as “There are no off-map boxes”, “There are no ‘chits’ drawn for US entry.” Based on discussions with Steve I will be reconciling the dual realities of “WiF RAW” and “MWiF the computer game” in this area of the spreadsheet. Wish me luck…

At that point, Robert Nebel takes over. He examines the agreed rules for MWiF and compiles a set of tests to determine if the software is working in accordance with the design. His work consists primarily of creating lists of questions (see screenshot in next post) and making them available to the testers.

When a Tester wants to do structured testing they download one of Robert’s sheets plus the latest version of MWiF and answers the questions. Robert and I are responsible for collating the answers and getting the information back to Steve in an organized fashion – we’re still thunkin’ on how that process will work.

This process is distinct from the ad-hoc bug reporting which is currently occurring where the testers are running their own race on finding bugs in loading the program and screen resolution etc. This version of the test plan is primarily to ensure that MWiF accurately reflects the WiF ruleset.

We hope to have the first Test sheet ready for next weekend – 21st October (but since that’s my wife’s birthday I may have other duties on that day). There will doubtless be a bit of give and take during the first few weeks as we bed the system down and smooth out the process.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachments
TESTPLAN1.jpg
TESTPLAN1.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 158 times
/Greyshaft
Greyshaft

RE: The MWiF Test Plan

Post by Greyshaft »

Here's part of Roberts (aka Nebert) spreadsheet covering the same section of the rules. Since there aren't many compromises between WiF and MWiF on land movement it is fairly straightforward translation of the WiF rules.

EDIT: I originally uploaded an old screenshot hence Steve's comment in the following post. All fixed now - here's the current file...

Attachments
TESTPLAN2.jpg
TESTPLAN2.jpg (191.78 KiB) Viewed 159 times
/Greyshaft
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Here's part of Roberts (aka Nebert) spreadsheet covering the same section of the rules. Since there aren't many compromises between WiF and MWiF on land movement it is fairly straightforward translation of the WiF rules.

You might want to update the example of Robert's spreadsheet with his more recent version - it eliminates the column for Map, for instance.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
You might want to update the example of Robert's spreadsheet with his more recent version - it eliminates the column for Map, for instance.
Will do... I hadn't noticed that I used the old file.
/Greyshaft
Ullern

Post by Ullern »

Check that movment points cost = 16? [&:]

Also I note: strom instead of storm
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: ullern

Check that movment points cost = 16? [&:]

Also I note: strom instead of storm
Thanks ullern... That's the kind of feedback we're looking for.
/Greyshaft
NeBert

Post by NeBert »

[:)] Thanks for the "Strom" - Microsoft´s automatic spelling check and correction is not always helpful [:(].

The 16 necessary movementpoints will exceed the movement capability of all unit-types - so the only check could be that after the move all unit-types will suffer the effects of such an "incomplete" move.

Further comments are welcome!

Robert
NeBert
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

I'm impressed. This is meticulous, detailed and a completely unglamourous bit of dedication by you guys. I'm looking forward to working with it.

Jimm

Return to “World in Flames”