WoW It's HUGE!!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ravinhood

WoW It's HUGE!!

Post by ravinhood »

I just got my 19" Acer Flatscreen LCD Monitor I won off of Ubid last week for $92 bucks and I am amazed at the size and quality and crispness and sharpness of the picture. I was worried about those pixels things I'd read reviews about from other people who bought other monitors. But, no pixel problems that I can see. But, this screen is just HUGE!! Man...I'm playing on 1400 x 1050 and I cannot believe all the extra information I can see and read and I finally don't have to lean into the monitor to read stuff. This is awesome. ;) I'd been using a 15" CRT monitor for years, wow since like 1998 and was just waiting for a good price on one of these. Ubid's a good place to get one if you want one at bargain bin prices. ;O) I had bought a couple of CTX AMD's from them several years back before I started buiding my own. Very good prices. And this monitor package came with all the cables and built in sound. Though the sound heh isn't that great, but, I didn't buy it for the built in sound anyways. It's almost like watching a mini movie picture show with this wide screen. I'm going to have to get used to this cause I'm so used to sitting about 6 inches from the monitor. lol I might save my eyesight afterall now.
One thing about all the reviews I read ACER got the best of them all overall with recommendations and happy with their purchase and I spent a long time reading reviews before I bought one. I got the 5ms 800 contrast one, there's all kinds to select from. I saw some 2ms 1000 contrast ones but they were more expensive and I don't play FPSers and from what I read that's what those types are for. What kinda monitors yalls got? ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

rogueusmc

RE: WoW It's HUGE!!

Post by rogueusmc »

Westinghouse 20" flatpanel here...I'm very happy with it.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Dude, 19" ? that's so like, 2 years ago.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Dude, 19" ? that's so like, 2 years ago.
Bah! I've had 19" monitor for past 4 years already! It's CRT though, but resolution goes up to 1600x1200 with 85 Hz
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

My place was robbed about 5 months ago. In the robbery they took among other things a 13" regular tv from my gameroom. They also destroyed my quite new 27" living room tv. Now I have a 22" HD LCD flat panel, and though I have never used it for the computer, I probably will be tempted someday to use it for that, especially when hdtv's or the new kid that's not quite on the block yet lowers their prices quite a bit more. What rh said is true of mine as well, that I don't see any bad pixels, but I'm using it just for tv. It's some off-brand called Insignia. If I ever get something in HD with a larger screen, then I can very seriously consider using the current LCD in the computer room, but to be fair, I don't think my eyes could take a full 22" up that close. You would just about have to have the set on a different stand further back from the desk where you're sitting. A 22" screen sure would make internet browsing quite a bit easier though.

Oh man, I just checked Insignia at Best Buy where I bought the 22" about 3-4 months ago. I think I'm going to be sick. this thing is only 70 more expensive than when I bought the 22". http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8274379&st=insignia&type=product&id=1171058028982

Not a total loss though, as it does show me the price has come down considerably. Mine was a 720p as well, but I think I will get the larger tv at 1020p  As good as my 720p looks, it sure is tempting.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Up until lat year I had a behemoth flat cathode ray tube 21" Sony Trinitron monitor.

I gave it to my brother when I got a Samsung 22" wide screen flat panel display.
Hans

Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Oh good, the thread is ok!

I keep getting spam emails with similar titles, and I hated to see our forum advertise as well.[:D]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
mack2

Post by mack2 »

I had a 17" crt. Then I had a 19" crt for a few years. This year I upgraded to a 22" flatscreen, widescreen ChiMei LCD running at 1680x1050. Pure Awesome.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Well I bet at least one person on this forum will agree with me that when you finally hit middle age like me your back is very grateful for a LCD monitor that weighs only a few pounds at most [:D]  [:-]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Zap

Post by Zap »

Yea I,ll agree the light weight along with the smaller footprint. I can now see my desk. With a CRT there was little room left to put papers and do other work.
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Switched from 17" NEC CRT to LG 20" Widescreen..This is heaven for me. ( although, I am eyeing that LG 22"...humm, Cristmas IS coming up)[8|]
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Well I bet at least one person on this forum will agree with me that when you finally hit middle age like me your back is very grateful for a LCD monitor that weighs only a few pounds at most [:D]  [:-]

Yeah I remember having a 17" monitor one time and it weighed a ton. They are just so sleek and lite weight. I got dizzy playing Guild Wars as it felt like I was right there with the crispness and sharpness of the picture now. If you position your head down looking at the ground and spin around you'll actually get vertigo just like in real life. Now that's realim. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Just bought 22" acer today.
This was mainly to play hornet leader.
Nothing under 19" in pc world would go to 1024 x 1050
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

He who has the most toys wins.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Twin 19" Flatscreens on my rig.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Playing the Paradox games in 1400 x 1050 is awesome now. So much more screen to see what is going on now. And what is the advantage of playing with two monitors on the same rig?

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: mack2

This year I upgraded to a 22" flatscreen, widescreen ChiMei LCD running at 1680x1050. Pure Awesome.
Really? HDTV resolution is 1920×1080. When I get my next monitor, I'll make sure it supports that resolution.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I'd love an HDTV res monitor, but they're a bit too expensive for me to afford at the moment. Currently I have 2 19" flatscreens (one is widescreen)

Most games don't support dual monitors but some do (FSX is one that does) Apart from gaming though, it is great having 2 monitors. If you do any video processing you can have the video on one screen and the editor controls on the other (that's the reason I got a 2nd one) but, once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to 1 even for normal use. A game that runs windowed means you can have the internet on the other monitor. Or use the 2nd one for TV, or just for checking email while browsing, etc etc
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

Hey guys, when thinking in the negative, those super-heavy monitors aren't so bad. At the time of the burglary I didn't have the 22" HDTV, but I had the 27" flat panel alongside actually a couple of 19 or 20 inch computer monitors (one of which was an old one I don't use). The thugs were looking for lightweight stuff, such as cash, rifle, stereo components. They took the small tv (13"), but they didn't bother any of the computer monitors. I guess they hated that my main tv was a 27" they couldn't carry, so they decided to bust that one. Actually they didn't bust it directly, but knocked over the video console it was on, basically a piece of furniture, and it just so happens the fall killed it. They also knocked over a book shelf with no audio/video equipment on them, while another bookcase in the living room they ignored. Funny too, because on that bookshelf I had a company ring that had like 5 diamonds in it easily seen in it's glass case.

Now if I get a return visit, my HDTV is most assuredly gone.
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

Yah know Charles if you put up a sign on your front door "Beware of Pet Rattlesnake" you know I don't think you'll ever be robbed again. I know I haven't. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”