U7

Questions regarding the creation of custom graphics (uniforms and stadium art).

Moderator: David Winter

kshinner

U7

Post by kshinner »

How does U7 "work"? I'm trying to figure out how to line up my custom numbers. Is the program grabbing a specific width from the U7 file and pasting that on the model (i.e. grab the first 25 pixels wide and that should be the 0)? Or is it sophisticated enough to look for a the first non-background colored pixel between numbers. What's up? Anyone know?
"We got our own ammuninition - it's filled with paint. When we fire it...it makes pretty pictures - scares the hell outta people." - Oddball
Marauders

RE: U7

Post by Marauders »

The easiest way to do this is to modify an existing U7 file.

I have always thought it strange how 3D programs can grab multiple items of artwork from one graphic file.

DONMVP, Local8h, Tbird, or David can explain the details.

nmleague

Post by nmleague »

I use Paint Shop Pro and here is how I created new U7 files.  I opened the original one.  Started a new layer over that.  Used the text tool and did the first number, I sized that over the same  original number. Did the same for the rest of the numbers so I then had a new layer with all the new numbers. Then added a layer bewteen the original layer and the layer with the new numbers.  Did a flood fill of the layer with the purple transparent color found on the original layer.  Then merged all layers.  Sound like it take time, but really it goes pretty fast.  I think created about number with 4 more fonts, just saved them something like u7A-u7D.  Then just copied the one I wanted to the team I wanted and renamed u7.
kshinner

Post by kshinner »

That's what I've been doing as well, however, my question is: Do I need to make sure MY "7" is no wider than the CURRENT "7"? Do I HAVE to adjust and fit every number to the size the current ones are? Where does my serif "1" (that looks like "1") have to be placed versus a sans serif "1" (that looks like "l")? There has to be a method to the madness.
"We got our own ammuninition - it's filled with paint. When we fire it...it makes pretty pictures - scares the hell outta people." - Oddball
nmleague

Post by nmleague »

I just try to keep the new ones within the boundries of the original ones. Below are 3 that I have done, I have used all three for uniforms and they look fine in the game.

Attachments
fonts.jpg
fonts.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 230 times
DONMVP

Post by DONMVP »

I think also , you need to keep in the same boundries for each number on u7 . When i attemped to try and make u9 numbers , by downsizing u7 , what a can of worms i opened . You`d have thought numbers were high on weed . So think what mmleague suggest is best especially layering . Here have same art program , and after 1 yr and 1/2 still don`t know layering to good. So if i see numbers i like that others have used in uniforms i always save them , and just add different colors .To match teams i make . Sorry can`t be to helpful.
DONMVP
nmleague

Post by nmleague »

I guess I didnt really answer your question.  The reason that I place the new ones over the old is so that I can make sure I stay within the boundries of the old.  Since I didnt know the size limitations I just took the original number size as the max and figured as long as I stay within the original numbers boundries I would be safe.
nmleague

Post by nmleague »

Lately I have been fooling around with increasing the border size.  I wanted to try a number that was the same color as the jersey but with a thick border of a contrasting color.  Example for a black jersey, I made the fill color of the number black, with a border of bright red, so I looks as if the number is just made up of the border with an empty interior.  I would post a screen shot but I have uninstalled the game getting ready for the release.
bassman58

Post by bassman58 »

Here's a tip for Paint Shop Pro users, if you create vector numbers you can add a stroke easily by editing the font. Once you merge any layer it becomes a raster layer and adding borders using the Magic Wand will not look good. You may get magenta bleed through due to the antialiasing. For my template I created a group with each number on a seperate layer. This makes changing colors, adding strokes and changing fonts much easier. You may need to re-position and re-size the numbers.
kshinner

Post by kshinner »

Thanks, guys. I was hoping someone would know the size limitations (although I probably didn't express it well) but it doesn't look like any of us know.
ORIGINAL: bassman58

Here's a tip for Paint Shop Pro users, if you create vector numbers you can add a stroke easily by editing the font. Once you merge any layer it becomes a raster layer and adding borders using the Magic Wand will not look good. You may get magenta bleed through due to the antialiasing. For my template I created a group with each number on a seperate layer. This makes changing colors, adding strokes and changing fonts much easier. You may need to re-position and re-size the numbers.

If you do a vector number in PSP, you should be able turn off anti-aliasing so you don't get any bleed-thru. If you like the anti-aliasing on the edges, you could put your anti-aliased numbers on a background that's the same color as the jersey. Then with careful use of the magic wand at a low tolerance, select the background color and change it to the transparent hot pink. Then you have anti-aliased numbers on the jersey color but with the correct transparency.

Lastly, if you want to thicken up an outline of a number, you can duplicate the layer with the numbers, convert the layer behind to rastor layer, select the outline with the magic wand, expand the selection by a pixel, and fill that selection with the color. Your upper layer should show the innards of the number (say in white with black outline) and the lower outline should appear to thicken the outline.

Couple of tips if it helps anyone...
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Good stuff here. kshinner and I seem to use similar methods.
If anybody wants my logo collection, let me know at

gary_l_sorrell@yahoo.com

Kyzt214

Post by Kyzt214 »

Gary and NMleague,

Fellas, I was wondering if I could ask a favor. I'm starting a 36 team World League. I'm using bits and pieces from the stuff you guys have posted at FBMax. The problem I'm running into is the numbers. I'm not real good with PSP (the fact that I've even created a uniform is amazing in itself). I was wondering if you guys could post your numbers creations somewhere or if I could get the files emailed to me? I would be greatly indebted.

Thanks,

Erick
"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I pretty much use the same number font for all my unis. So mine are all in the fictional packs I have on fbmax.

Kyzt214

Post by Kyzt214 »

Gary,

I was trying to modify some but I can't get the color palette to give me any colors. The white for the home uni's are fine but I'm trying to add color to the away numbers but I'm having problems there. Any advice?

Thanks

Erick
Kyzt214

Post by Kyzt214 »

Never mind. I got it figured out.

Thanks
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Yea. I did it that way on purpose. 4 color pallette. Whenever im editing them I just 'edit pallette' and change whichever color I need. I got tired of the fill command.
nmleague

Post by nmleague »

Are you asking about the U7 file that is with the uniforms, I think all the uniforms I sent to fbmax have a u7 file with them.  Unless, I sent them before I created numbers using new fonts, for example the number for the Devils, Extreme and Samuri all have different fonts.  If that is what your looking for I have a folder with 3-4 different font u7 files.
nmleague

Post by nmleague »

Just uploaded a zipped folder to FBmax, should be in the unsorted area, file name "newu7fonts.zip"
Kyzt214

Post by Kyzt214 »

nmleague- Thanks. I'm looking forward to using your Samurai numbers.

Gary- I can see how a limited palette would make things go faster.

Thanks to the likes of you guys I can see this game going a long way. Over the weekend I've learned my way around PSP and created 2 uniforms. So this game is educational as well.[:D]

Thanks
Erick
David Winter

Post by David Winter »

Each number in U7 is 42 pixels wide. So the 7 starts at pixel 294 and goes to 336. Because textures loaded into memory have to be power of 2, the bitmap file itself needs to be lengthend to the closest power of 2, which in this case is 512 pixels wide. So a bit of extra space at the end.

Uniforms are created in layers in the game. A basic directx render surface is created then the uniform texture applied, then I draw part of the U7 texture based on what jersey number I'm trying to create. Then I add any uniform mud if required.

Once the texture is applied to the model, I then apply the bump map to make the jersey holes and seams stand out.

"They're not dolls. They're action figures. Valuable Action figures!"

Return to “Graphics Related”