Getting Close Combat to run at all?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
redandy2

Getting Close Combat to run at all?

Post by redandy2 »

Purchased and downloaded CC:CofI last week and installed it, everything seemed to go well. Fired up the command centre which seemed to work apart from when I try to play the actual game! I get a roll of drums and then nothing! No game, no error messages, just nothing. I uninstall, repeat the whole process and run into exactly the same brick wall.
Disappointed.

I then spend the next five days emailing support and get completely ignored.
Very fed up.

What gives?

Andrew
lorentzt

RE: Getting Close Combat to run at all?

Post by lorentzt »

What kind of system you running on?
If you got Vista you can try running the game in compability modus.
Also several people have experienced a codec problem and need to install a new codec. Dont remember the link, but i know its posted on this forum, ill try to find it for you :)
BTW: what support adress was you using?
Any more details abouth your system and so on would be helpful.
Chess is the ultimate strategy game, unfortunately you lack the random chance to blame.

Lorentz
redandy2

Post by redandy2 »

Dear Lorentz,

Thanks for the reply, its nice to know I'm not stuck here in cyberspace on my own!

The email address I have been bombarding to no effect is support@matrixgames.com

I've got an 18 month old laptop running Windows XP Home, which I (perhaps rashly) assumed would be fine for CC:CofI as I still play CC: A Bridge Too Far (the best of the original five in my humble opinion) and CC5 on it. It has a 1.4 GHz Celeron M Processor, 512 MB memory and (perhaps most suspect) an integrated Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller.

Thanks once again!

Cheers

Andy
lorentzt

Post by lorentzt »

Check this post http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1471932.
There is a link there to the codec that solves the problem for several users. I am running the game on xp prof. myself, with a 3 year old pc.
If you still got the problem afther installing the codec try to run in compability modus win98.
Chess is the ultimate strategy game, unfortunately you lack the random chance to blame.

Lorentz
redandy2

Post by redandy2 »

Dear Lorentz,

Thanks very much for your second post. I installed the intel codec and that didn't solve the problem and unfortunately running it in Windows 98 compatibility mode didn't sort the problem either. In fact neither of them changed the situation at all. I click on the play button, get a roll of drums, the hard disc chunters for a bit and then that is it, no error messages, no weird things happening, just nothing!

Could the download have been corrupted?

Thanks very much for your efforts! Any more suggestions gratefully appreciated! Any guess as to why support are blanking me?

Cheers

Andy
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Try holding down the CTRL key as you click on play.

Then turn off the videos.
ImageImage
redandy2

Post by redandy2 »

Dear Andrew,

Tried that one as well and didn't make any difference. On the Command Centre I get the gun clicks when I move over items but they don't change colour (was reading that one in the manual) so I'm beginning to wonder if the command centre is working properly as well?

Cheers

Andy
lorentzt

Post by lorentzt »

Have you tried starting the game without using the command center? Its worth a shot to start the game directly with the exe file.
Shouldnt be a corrupt file as you didnt get any error messages when installing. But reinstalling is always worth an efforth, but i suppose you have already tried that. BTW: did you restart your computer afther installing the codec?

Lorentz
lorentzt

Post by lorentzt »

Which file did you set to run in 98Compability mode? The HQ or the CC3 file? Be sure its the exe that runs the game not the one used to start the HQ.

Lorentz
Andrew Williams

Double click on

C:\Program Files\Close Combat\Close Combat III\cc3.exe

try that
ImageImage
Andrew Williams

Game requirements
  • Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
  • 133 MHz CPU (300 MHz rec.)
  • 32MB Free RAM (64 MB rec.)
  • 1MB Video RAM (8MB rec.)
  • Soundcard
  • Display capable of 1024x768 resolution or higher
[/align]
ImageImage
redandy2

Post by redandy2 »

Dear Lorentz and Andrew,

Thank you for your continued help, finally seem to be making some forward progress! I had tried starting the program directly and that didn't work, I had remembered to restart computer after putting in the intel codec but I was running the HQ file in Win98 mode!

Running the cc3.exe file in Win98 mode has allowed me to fire up the actual game, HURRAY!

I hope setting up Internet play is not quite as painful ...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Andy
lorentzt

Post by lorentzt »

If you get trouble starting a internet or lan game you need to open up some ports the game use.
Open up the readme file it lists the ports. If you get trouble setting up your router/firewall witht he correct ports you could try using Hamachi vpn to bypass the problem.

If you get any problem feel free to post and ill do my best to help you.

Lorentz
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Redandy2, try this, it worked for me.

1. I moved all of the AVI files in the video directory to the TEMP directory.

2. I copied an AVI file that I knew ran on my computer to the VIDEO directory and made multiple copies of it there.

3. I renamed all the copies of that AVI to the original names of the AVI files in the VIDEO folder.

4.I hit PLAY, the AVI that I knew would run did run, and there was the game - at which point I could shut videos off for good.

Bizarre and somewhat silly, but it worked. Hey, Matrix! The game needs a way to disable the videos from the Command Center!
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Andrew Williams

holding down the CTRL key as you click on play will bring up the options box.

Then turn off the videos.
ImageImage

Return to “Cross of Iron Support”