importing database elements

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and to share your design work.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

gogol

importing database elements

Post by gogol »

Hi

i try to do a scenario from scratch
and i just can t figure out how i can import some database elements to help me

for exemple , i d like to have a bunch of pre-designed terrains values AND graphics to fill my map.
how can i do that ?

thank you

JSS

RE: importing database elements

Post by JSS »

The graphics for units and game elements are bmp files inside the ScenarioPicts.xcr for that battle.   Maps are bmp files inside the ScenarioMaps.xcr for that battle.    To make your map, you need a graphics program which produces the map bmp.  While the best looking maps have come from photoshop, very good maps have been produced using shareware graphics programs.  

You need an xcr extractor and recompiler program(s) to edit the files inside your ScenarioPicts.xcr & ScenarioMaps.xcr.   Programs I normally use are XCRexplus and XCRComp.   

Let me know if this answers your question.
gogol

Post by gogol »

yeah thank you
i did post a little to early. i should have go deeper before to post
so thank you

so , i guess the best thing to do is to edit an existing battle in order to have preset terrains and units values
is that right ?

i must say i am a little disapointed , and it s not the first time with a matrix game ! (Witp / HttR , etc....)
each time i read ``full editor`` in the feature list , so i buy , but each time i got my ass kicked
by the edition difficulty :(  i d like a point/drag and click editor (casual)

i understand that the more it is difficult the more you can do everything
but each time it is so difficult that i can t do anything
lol

anyway matrix games are great !  i just need them to do simple editors !

thank you
JSS

Post by JSS »

I've long compared the DB & BF editors to say MS Excel in level of performance (and learning curve)... very powerful once you learn the program.  Much like Excel, the BF editor either does exactly what you want or helps you not much at all.

Definitely I recommend taking an existing scenario and making an alternate version as your first try.  That way all the info is in place (biggest headache done!).   You then can see how the editor entries change how the scenario plays.  Make sure you make a separate folder for your new version.  Last thing you want is to alter the release version and not have a back up copy somewhere.

Return to “Scenario Design and Editing”