Map & counter mod

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

jesperpehrson

RE: Map & counter mod

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter
the Russian Civil War and the Spanish Civil War

Yes please [:)]

[&o]
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

See, I knew there were guys that wanted to see someone cover more esoteric subjects.  Thanks capitan  :-)
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Why not just make a wargame of early 20th century Europe??!! [8D]
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
ejs6263

Post by ejs6263 »

SPI used to make great board games on more esoteric subjects. The ones I loved were Search & Destroy (Vietnam), South Africa (basically a hypo of a Rhodesia-type insurgency in South Africa against the apartheid government), and Fulda Gap (Soviet invasion of West Germany). I remember they had ones about the Russo-Japanese War of 1905 and the Russian Revolution. They kept us elementary and junior high school nerds busy back in the day. It's a shame that no one ever really picked up that mantle (beyond what Operations Art of War does).
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

The Russian Civil War would be the natural sequel to Guns of August. A fascinating and neglected period of history.
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

ORIGINAL: Lascar

The Russian Civil War would be the natural sequel to Guns of August. A fascinating and neglected period of history.

Indeed. I did play a boardgame called 1917 or somesuch which was quite interesting. Kinda like WIF but could surely be transformed into GOA style as well.
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I had a board game of hte Russian Civil War perhaps from Avalon Hill??  It was boxed, and I well revall the purges, counterpurges and assasinations.  Everyone commanded troops from every faction and the game was exactly 6 turns long......but it packed a lot into 6 turns!! :)
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

I concur with the Russian civil war.

Other exotic areas I could find very interesting are the Boer wars and especially the Imperial expansions during Pax Britannica. The boardgame was unique http://www.costik.com/pb.html.

I must admit I had to do a little checking up on what the Chaco War was all about [:D]
Hit them where they aren't
GJK

Post by GJK »

I've just uploaded what I think is the final versions of both the map and counters. I have rolled these up into one zip. IF you want to use both the counters AND the map, then simply extract this into your Guns of August install directory. IF you do not want to use either the counter OR the map, then extract this to a temporary folder and then just copy over either the map or the counters - they are in their respective folders.

Changes to the COUNTERS:
1. AH counters are a lighter shade of gray with a blue(r) NATO symbol to more easily distinguish them from Germans.

2. U.S. Inf, Shock and Cav are now Brigades instead of Corps (should be Brigade (+) I suppose).

Changes to the MAP:
1. None - so if you're using the map only, you don't need this update.

Download the file HERE (6.86mb)
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Why are US corps now brigades?  A 40 strength brigade?  Those units represent 2+ divisions.

GJK

Post by GJK »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Why are US corps now brigades?  A 40 strength brigade?  Those units represent 2+ divisions.

Correction, I meant division. Should they remain a Corps (-) ?

-Dean Vernon Wormer
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Yes, there's 15 US infantry units in the game whereas they had 40+ divisions in France by Sept 1918. 

GJK

Post by GJK »

Ok, I've changed the US units back to Corps where appropriate (Inf, Shock, Cav). Download link is the same as above.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Great map GJK, and thx.

I'm going to run with your map and IronX counters as I rpefer his counter look, but your map is awesome...thx
Alba gu' brath
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

I just downloaded the map - it looks great.
Many thanks GJK!

Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

This map and counters are a big step forward - Matrix should take note .

For me Matrix games are always a bit lacking on graphics . Much better to stick with maps and counters that look like they should be displayed in a military way rather then painted soldiers or worse still soldiers on stands on a hex map etc . I think that the graphic people at Matrix are always trying to serve the visual fest over neat presentation , the result is a muddle Battle In Italy is a particular example - horrible.

Well done indeed

Michael
TheBlackhorse

Post by TheBlackhorse »

Your map absolutely rocks! You are to be commended on super nice work. Well done.
gambler

Post by gambler »

Just as a note for those who dislike 'NATO' style... At least the Cavalry, Infantry and Artillery symbols date back to the Napoleonic era (NATO just kinda appropriated them).  
GJK

Post by GJK »

ORIGINAL: gambler

Just as a note for those who dislike 'NATO' style... At least the Cavalry, Infantry and Artillery symbols date back to the Napoleonic era (NATO just kinda appropriated them).  

And they date back to 1976 when used in the boardgame of the same namesake. :)

It's just a personal preference. I gather that many "old timers" will want to use the NATO style as that's what we had/have with board wargames. Many more will probably prefer the colorful look of actual men and material. As I mentioned before, the scale doesn't work for me when I see 1 man on a counter that represents a Corps, but that's me. I think it's great that we have a number of people working on different styles of counters, we can all pick and choose. And frankly, I think the originals looked just fine, except for the gradient coloring which I didn't care for.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: gambler

Some sort of symbols do - the Germans had some from teh early 1800's, but I'd be interested in a reference for this.

Germany used quite different symbols that yuo can find on the 'net, and the fact htat infantry "X" represents crossbelts, the artillery "dot" a cannonball, etc does nt mean they were actually thought of at the time AFAIK.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”