World at War like Axis and Allies??

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

derhexer

World at War like Axis and Allies??

Post by derhexer »

I've been reading after action reports on World At War, as well as the descriptions on Matrix' web site.

World at War sounds very much like the old AH/Milton Bradley board game Axis and Allies and the laster Hasbro electronci version.

Is WaW that much better than Axis and Allies? If so, why and how??
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
christian brown

RE: World at War like Axis and Allies??

Post by christian brown »

There is no comparison other than certain (by no means important) similarities with the maps. AWD is a thinking man's game and takes about 30 hours (the first turns pass quite quickly, even 10 minutes or so, but as things go on, they last longer and longer) to finish a human to human match up with players of relatively even skill levels. Logistics (supplies) are represented and must be taken as seriously as other military aspects of play. I could go on and on but choose not to. I will say this, if you liked A&A and have the patience it takes to spend an hour or so per turn, you'll like AWD.
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
GKar

Post by GKar »

If you liked Axis & Allies but always wanted to think and plan a little more, you will probably wet your pants on AWD. [8D]

The reasons: Research, logistics, much better combat system, more strategic depth, some espionage and diplomacy, graphics up-to-date for a grand strategy game - did I miss anything?
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Ok, that answers my other question. Now for my main one. Is this game comparable to the Heart of Iron series? ( techno tree, unit builds, natural ressources, etc..)
As always, ur imput is appreciated.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
GKar

Post by GKar »

I wrote about that some time ago: *Link*.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”