OT? Teaching Kids Math Concepts

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

OT? Teaching Kids Math Concepts

Post by KG Erwin »

So, everybody in the working world uses calculators. Yet, for some reason, in school, the kids have to know the difference between prime and composite numbers. I can't recall ANY real-life situation in which this distinction becomes vital.

Help me, guys. The info is on the web, but this type of practical math is of no use whatsoever to an accountant or auditor or legislator (I'm a tax auditor, so I HAVE to know certain formulas). Is it simply to recognize numerical relations or some such nonsense?

Hell's bells, I thought I achieved a major breakthrough when I understood the formula to calculate an earned-run average in baseball. (earned runs *9)/ innings pitched

Of course, these days, it is vitally important to be able to calculate interest payments on credit cards and home/car loans. THAT is practical math.

morvwilson

RE: OT? Teaching Kids Math Concepts

Post by morvwilson »

I think you are correct KG, a lot of math is not directly usable in and of itself.

But what math is realy is a training tool to get people used to thinking logically.

IMO, if you master math, it is your ticket into any career path you wish.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Sarge

RE: OT? Teaching Kids Math Concepts

Post by Sarge »

When you use your credit card over the net your browser encrypts , which uses prime numbers .

Prime numbers are just a way to quickly round out a situation with a uncountable amount of outcomes down to a handful possibilities by removing the composite or prime possibilities.

Basically used for/on enormous equations [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”