Documentary about U.S. build-up on Guam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Neilster

Documentary about U.S. build-up on Guam

Post by Neilster »

This is a link to a short documentary that was shown on the excellent Australian program Foreign Correspondent a couple of weeks ago. It deals with the large U.S. military build-up on Guam, which is assumed to be designed to better project power toward China. Various issues are discussed and there's plenty of footage of carrier operations etc. I thought some here might be interested.

There are links for Real Media and Media Player under the title "Guam, The Tip of the Spear" on this page...

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/broadband.htm

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

RE: Documentary about U.S. build-up on Guam

Post by Neilster »

I just realised this may not be accessible outside of Australia (Aussie taxpayers' money paying for it and all that). If this is the case...sorry I wasted your time. It's quite a good doco.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Yup I enjoyed it.  One has to wonder if they are building up Guam, then Hawaii must also be getting a few $$$ as well.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

About time other world powers start chipping in on their own defense.

Got to love the political undertones , the fact the interviewer asked the Girl (red shirt) “did you ever consider where the ordnance during the Iraq deployment was going” is about as tasteless as it gets., that’s a young adult doing her job and for that pompous jackass to ehave the balls to land on one of our carriers and pass judgment on her is testimony to how delusional the world media has become.

I do have one question ?

Interviewing a Iraq casualty widow was a nice touch, but I am at a loss as how that is related to the Military build up on Guam ?

That wasn’t a documentary , that was a political hack trying to suck the misinforming into his delusional ideology .
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Oh she was a looker..............knowing how the military PR wankers work she was no doubt the best looking out the 500 wimen onboard.  [;)]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Interviewing a Iraq casualty widow was a nice touch, but I am at a loss as how that is related to the Military build up on Guam ?

Because they were from Guam I guess. I think it was illustrating their sacrifices even though they don't get a vote.

I agree there was a bit of an anti-Bush Administration undercurrent to the report but it also dwelt on the positives to the local economy and employment possibilities for the young. You have to remember it was made for Australian domestic consumption, where the current U.S. government isn't exactly flavour of the month.

As a lot of people on this forum are American, I thought you might be interested in how your country is portrayed elsewhere. Jeez, if you think that was anti-American Sarge, you should see some of the other stuff out there. [X(]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

The build up in Guam is most likely compensation for not having the Philippean bases anymore.
I would be willing to bet there is a fair build up of material on that charming little island called Diego Garcia[8|] as well.
As for the footage, nice camera work. But the guy with the commentary is the typical clueless media type. He starts out saying that the aircraft carriers and guam are the spear point for China then slips into the Iraq/Afghan schtick. The guy can't even count aircraft. 68 on a carrier?! Try 100.

This is why you can't trust these type of people. They can't find their own a55 with both hands and a map! [:D][:D]
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

I was stationed on the USS Nimitz CVN 68 from 1988-90, and was in the Persian gulf area twice (once on another ship). Just in case anyone is interested. 

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

The build up in Guam is most likely compensation for not having the Philippean bases anymore.
I would be willing to bet there is a fair build up of material on that charming little island called Diego Garcia[8|] as well.
As for the footage, nice camera work. But the guy with the commentary is the typical clueless media type. He starts out saying that the aircraft carriers and guam are the spear point for China then slips into the Iraq/Afghan schtick. The guy can't even count aircraft. 68 on a carrier?! Try 100.

This is why you can't trust these type of people. They can't find their own a55 with both hands and a map! [:D][:D]

Didn't he say 68 combat aircraft? I can't remember. I wonder if he was just counting the fighters and not the ASW, AEW, liason etc

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I agree there was a bit of an anti-Bush Administration undercurrent to the report but it also dwelt on the positives to the local economy and employment possibilities for the young. You have to remember it was made for Australian domestic consumption, where the current U.S. government isn't exactly flavour of the month.

As a lot of people on this forum are American, I thought you might be interested in how your country is portrayed elsewhere. Jeez, if you think that was anti-American Sarge, you should see some of the other stuff out there. [X(]

Cheers, Neilster

My bad,

I didn’t realize your intent was to enlighten us Americans .

Carry on [8|]

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

You know Sarge, it's getting amore than a little tedious seeing people hosed because they mention the US...and it never seems to matter in what context. [:-]

Lighten up ffs [:D]
Alba gu' brath
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Cheers, Neilster

My bad,

I didn’t realize your intent was to enlighten us Americans .

Carry on [8|]

Say what? I've got no agenda here. I just thought someone might be interested. Why the facetious response?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
mlees

Post by mlees »

There have been persistant rumors/proposals (by Japan to the US) for the US forces on Okinawa to be removed. Guam may be being built up as an alternate place to base those forces.
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Think you could be right mlees, North Korea testing nukes got Japan very nervous.
One of the little known facts that I stumbled across was that Japan has the third largest navy in the world. I have heard that Japan was going to start building up thier defenses because of North Korea

morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Didn't he say 68 combat aircraft? I can't remember. I wonder if he was just counting the fighters and not the ASW, AEW, liason etc

Cheers, Neilster
As for "combat aircraft" the only ones that you could argue are not combat aircraft are the ones that the guy flew in on (C-2). The rest are all combat aircraft. Even the helicopters have an ASW role. If the guy cracked a copy of Janes, which would have been available in the ships library, he would have been a lot more accurate. But, these kind of media types don't usually let facts get in the way of their agenda.[8|]

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Cheers, Neilster
As for "combat aircraft" the only ones that you could argue are not combat aircraft are the ones that the guy flew in on (C-2). The rest are all combat aircraft. Even the helicopters have an ASW role. If the guy cracked a copy of Janes, which would have been available in the ships library, he would have been a lot more accurate. But, these kind of media types don't usually let facts get in the way of their agenda.[8|]
Yeah. I'd put that in the honest mistake category though. Even if the reporter had an agenda, deliberately understating the number of aircraft on a carrier isn't going to be part of it.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Cheers, Neilster
Yeah. I'd put that in the honest mistake category though. Even if the reporter had an agenda, deliberately understating the number of aircraft on a carrier isn't going to be part of it.

Cheers, Neilster
I do agree that getting the number of aircraft wrong one way or the other does not advance any agenda.
But, as to honest mistake, kinda depends if you accept sloth as honesty.

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

You know Sarge, it's getting amore than a little tedious seeing people hosed because they mention the US...and it never seems to matter in what context. [:-]

Lighten up ffs [:D]

Context ?

What context was it when the interviewer asked the young women while serving her deployment in a war zone did she ever consider where the ordinance was falling .

You see that as legitimate in the CONTEXT of the build up of Guam ?

Explain

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Say what? I've got no agenda here. I just thought someone might be interested. Why the facetious response?

Cheers, Neilster

No agenda ?

Funny there must be two of your posting here, the other Neilster was trying to enlighten Americans on how our country is portrayed .

Silly me

Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Cheers, Neilster

No agenda ?

Funny there must be two of your posting here, the other Neilster was trying to enlighten Americans on how our country is portrayed .

Silly me

Cheers, Neilster
By agenda I meant an "axe to grind". I'm interested in how my country is portrayed. Why wouldn't Americans?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “General Discussion”