Flak and empty bases

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

RUPD3658

Flak and empty bases

Post by RUPD3658 »

My opponant just dropped paratroopers at Miri on Borneo and my flak, which so far has been pitifull, shot down 14 of the C-46s and damaged about another 50.

The strange thing is that I did not have any units at Miri and there had not been any there for over a year.

Any idea how this happened?

Stock scn 15 latest version
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RUPD3658

RE: Flak and empty bases

Post by RUPD3658 »

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

You won't get an answer to this one, I already asked about it YEARS ago.........
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Since my flak is pathetic I was just happy to see some Allied planes get shot down. Maybe I should leave all my bases empty.

RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: Historiker

[:D]

Who told you about our secret plans? Spies!

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

IIRC...a base itself is supposed to have an instrinsic AA value. It was a long time ago admitedly.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I was wondering if -overflight- of an enemy base with flak might trigger it.  As i recall, there's mention somewhere in the manual about air transports being intercepted in route.  Is it a possability that the path of the transports are over-flying an enemy base, and taking flak there (just as they might get intercepted by nearby enemy CAP).

I dunno.  It's pure conjecture.  A possability?

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Yes, there is that too.
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

One would think that the officer who planned this OP would route the a/c around any known flak locations during the trip to the target!!!
ORIGINAL: Feinder

I was wondering if -overflight- of an enemy base with flak might trigger it.  As i recall, there's mention somewhere in the manual about air transports being intercepted in route.  Is it a possability that the path of the transports are over-flying an enemy base, and taking flak there (just as they might get intercepted by nearby enemy CAP).

-F-
pauk

Post by pauk »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

IIRC...a base itself is supposed to have an instrinsic AA value. It was a long time ago admitedly.

so, basiclly it is better to leave the base empty than put few IJ AA units there?

RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

-F-

I thought of this too but all bases that were crossed are empty

RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: pauk

so, basiclly it is better to leave the base empty than put few IJ AA units there?

I am not sure since this only seems to happen with transports. Bombing AF/Ports at a base without LCUs does not seem to have the same effects

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: pauk

no.....the AA value of the units will be added as well. I believe transports on a para mission though are a special case and are purposely made more vulnerable when attempting to drop troops. That along with having a decent ground LCU or two helps prevent an easy conquest though its not like the Allies are ever short of replacement C-47's. [:D]
Dino

Post by Dino »

Would trashing the base prior to paradrop help suppress the intrinsic AA ?

wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

ORIGINAL: Dino

Would trashing the base prior to paradrop help suppress the intrinsic AA ?

I am virtually 100% sure that bombing the base into the stone age will not make the slightest difference in it's " instrinsic " AA value... This undocumented "feature" only work on "certain" bases. Most of the time when I drop para's on an empty base nothing happens, just once in awhile my entire transport fleet gets shot to hell....
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”