Is this worth buying now?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Noakesy

Is this worth buying now?

Post by Noakesy »

May seem a blunt question, but I used to own these as Talonsoft games donkeys years ago, and have noticed they've been re-released but there seems to be a lot of correspondence regarding bugs and so on. Does this game now work well or are there still problems?

Many thanks
Noakesy
Arkady

RE: Is this worth buying now?

Post by Arkady »

Game is working fine
There are some bugs but they are not game breakers and most of them will be addressed in next patch
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

ORIGINAL: Arkady
Game is working fine
There are some bugs but they are not game breakers and most of them will be addressed in next patch

Thanks - and can you play games and campaigns both hot seat, pbem and against the AI? Even though I moved on to SSG games I used to enjoy these battles (and some of the bigger ones, especially Typhoon which used to be my favourite).
Noakesy
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

only stand alone scenarios can be played against human (Hot seat, PBEM and online)

campaigns are AI only
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I took the plunge and got my copy yesterday. I have the originals and used to play them all the time. For a while I moved on to other games but have been keeping an eye on these updated versions.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

I took the plunge and got my copy yesterday. I have the originals and used to play them all the time. For a while I moved on to other games but have been keeping an eye on these updated versions.

Thanks for purchasing!

Ensure you are up to date with the various updates and patches.

Jason Petho
Viriathus

Post by Viriathus »

Simply answer yes.

I owned EFII and RS and loved them but bailed out in frustration after too many crashes.

The Matrix version hasn't crashed once. It is great fun and excellent support ensuring the few, minor bugs are dealt with. Also new scenarios and campaigns are being developed.

My only concern was that I might have been looking back at the game with rose-tinted spectacles or that the game would be dated. Neither has happened; I am getting more pleasure from this game than any that I have bought in a long time and I expect it to be on my harddrive for many years to come.

Given that we all take punts on new wargames hoping that they will suit us, Matrix have offered those of us familar with the originals a guaranteed value for money purchase. I would be interested to know how people who have come to this game without knowledge of the originals find it?
Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

Speaking of the old versions, I always thought that the cover of the EFII box was the best of all games i have ever seen....the Darth Vader looking german soldier still gives me the creeps.  Jason, is it possible to change the first EF screen (where one selects gameplay) in JTCS EF Module to the black silhouetted German soldier?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Panzer Captain

Speaking of the old versions, I always thought that the cover of the EFII box was the best of all games i have ever seen....the Darth Vader looking german soldier still gives me the creeps.  Jason, is it possible to change the first EF screen (where one selects gameplay) in JTCS EF Module to the black silhouetted German soldier?

I would imagine it could be added.

Jason Petho
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

Mike who lured you into taking the plunge? :D

Artur.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: sztartur

Mike who lured you into taking the plunge? :D
Some dude from Hungary. [:D]

I always like this game it just kind of slipped to the back burner over time. Now, with some of the changes being made and having re-evaluated the depth of the Editor this might be a good engine for some future projects. [;)]
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway). My eldest son is now 13 and I'm thinking we could hotseat the game for a bit of fun. Pity the LCGs are still strictly against the AI as they used to be the only games I'd play on this.
Noakesy
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway). My eldest son is now 13 and I'm thinking we could hotseat the game for a bit of fun. Pity the LCGs are still strictly against the AI as they used to be the only games I'd play on this.

Pity you limited yourself to just playing the LCG's.

This game truly shines when you are playing a human opponent, especially online or hotseat!

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

Thanks for the responses everyone - has anything actually changed from the original (I see mention re the editor but I was never much of one to make my own games anyway).

Here is an intro to the list of changes:

tm.asp?m=1476058

Jason Petho
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

Pity you limited yourself to just playing the LCG's.
This game truly shines when you are playing a human opponent, especially online or hotseat!
Jason Petho

Thanks, I imagine I'll give it a go, and then play it against others. I enjoyed the LCGs, especially the Typhoon one. Will be buying this one now I reckon, thanks for all the comments.
Thanks
Noakesy
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

[X(]I've owned both a Talonsoft released version called Europe Aflame, that shipped with East Front, West Front, and Sealion. About 2 years ago, East Front ( badly scratched ) finally refused to install on my new pc, had to scrap it. I saw Matrix finally releasing the campaign series ( was getting fed up with the usual " in progress" status report) I just purchased it today, and soon, panzers shall roll East once again....
Incidentally, one of the German avatars ( chap looking to his right, dressed in his going out uniform) looks like the spitting image of my brother-in-law. ( the irony being, he's Polish) I showed him the pic, he freaked out, wondered if I took his picture and modified it. Of course he denies having German descendents that fought in the war. ( riiiight.)[X(]
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

A lot of Sileasians was forced to Wehrmacht [;)]
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

A friend of mine is polish and her father was pressed into the Axis forces at Normandy - they fired over the heads of allies as they raced up the beach, but sadly the allies weren't to know that once they were into the defences.
Noakesy
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Hey, I'm not complaining. My uncles were involved inthe "wrong" side in the last big one . ( lesee, one in Africa, one in Greece, another in Yugoslavia, and th elucky one was parked on the coast in Sardinia. Oh yeah, and Dad's unit got disbanded in 1943. [8|]
Just a total coicidence seeing one's in-laws in a wargame. Got a few chuckles, too..
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Noakesy

Post by Noakesy »

Ok, taken the plunge and bought the game, and loaded up the first patch. Did someone say there's a temporary patch too? If so I've a couple of questions:
1. Is it very important, and if so what does it do?
2. Presumably this means that when the next 'official' patch comes out I'll have to remove the temporary one?
Noakesy

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”