John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
acwbuff63

John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS

Post by acwbuff63 »

Just curious, how many of you folks have at least one copy of John Tiller's ACW or nappy games published by HPS?

If you do, then what is your opinion vs the BG series?

Just one request, we all recognize that the the 3D maps for the BG series are beautiful and unequal, so let's assume we all play in 2D.

What are you favorite HPS improvements

Motomouse

RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS

Post by Motomouse »

Sadly, not one.
I would really wish that HPS would offer downloads as well, I think there is quite a business potential for them. (He, I would love them to do this via Matrixgames).
Regards
Motomouse

Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Interesting, I have never downloaded a game.  What is the appeal?  Why not order the CD?  If you have the CD, you can reinstall and take it anywhere.
cgoddard

Post by cgoddard »

I have all the BG series and a couple of HPS games.

I find the HPS games a real clickfest that gives me RSI as there seems no way to reduce the reliance on the mouse without any break.

This has stopped me buying more of them which is a shame as the campaign choices you make to create the next battle are brilliant.
Motomouse

Post by Motomouse »

Interesting, I have never downloaded a game. What is the appeal? Why not order the CD? If you have the CD, you can reinstall and take it anywhere.

No shelf space, no shipping costs, easy recovery after data loss, no waiting, (nearly) instant available, no driving to store, no scratches, no cd necessary to play, better prices, better margins for the developer, ...

Most important to me: International version available, they get better support than localized versions most of the time (matrix support is good!), think patches and user designed scenarios compatibility

and especially consider shipping cost and delay if you are living on this side of the world

regards
motomouse
Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere
tbsfan

Post by tbsfan »

ORIGINAL: acwbuff63

Interesting, I have never downloaded a game.  What is the appeal?  Why not order the CD?  If you have the CD, you can reinstall and take it anywhere.

What Motomouse said. [:)]

Also, once downloaded, you can save a backup copy of the file to a CD or such if you like.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Alas, I only have dial up.
Ashantai

Post by Ashantai »

I've done this before, but these are my personal views of the strengths of the two series.

TS:
- Much better 3D maps. Hand drawn and with lovely detail.
- Overall better music IMHO.
- The videos are nice to watch every so often.
- The OOBs and maps are freely editable.

HPS:
- The scope and ability to fight a campaign.
- The range of titles.
- Availability of updates and new features.
- The 1 man make up of units.
- The orientating maps N/S! That really threw me sometimes with the TS games.
- Variety of OOBs (especially Gettysburg where there are 3 versions of every base OOB).
- Editors included.

On that basis, HPS wins hands down. If TS introduced some of the above they might be competition. As it is though, they're pretty outdated.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Motomouse

Sadly, not one.
I would really wish that HPS would offer downloads as well, I think there is quite a business potential for them. (He, I would love them to do this via Matrixgames).
Regards
Motomouse

I am in the same boat...never bought an HPS game because they don't do downloads. Also, as far as I know, they don't ship IN the EU...they ship TO the EU, but not in...so an extra $15.

If they opened a download shop, I'd probably have a few of their titles [:D] Being as I am a game whore
Alba gu' brath
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Try the NWS for cheaper prices on HPS games NWS Store

I own one each of the different series, Panzer Campaigns, Squad Battles. They play pretty much play like a computer port of a board game, not bad, but if you played one John Tiller you pretty much played them all. There has never been any real major improvements (graphics, sound) or evolution in gameplay, it's like wargaming stuck in the 1980's.
Zap

Post by Zap »

If they opened a download shop, I'd probably have a few of their titles [:D] Being as I am a game whore
[/quote]

[:D]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I quite liked the look of War over Vietnam
Alba gu' brath
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Well, not many comments about the original topic.  I suppose I must conclude that most have never tried the HPS series.  Strange, because they use the same basic engine and had been developed by the same programmer.  Th HPS games come with many new and improved features and a ton more scenarios.  Most BG games came with 20-30 scenarios, the HPS games come with 50-300 scenarios each.  The 2D graphics are better (IMHO). 

Take HPS Shiloh for example.  Not only can you play Shiloh, but also, Grant's campaign to Shiloh: Belmont, Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, then Shiloh.  You can even fight Mill Springs and a "What if" Battle of Nashville, plus many others.

New features include: Arty capture/Spike, Cavalry skirmishers, weather (including gun smoke), arty prolonge, bridge repair, single phase turns with opportunity fire, and more with more coming!

So buying a game like HPS Shiloh comes with much more than the original BG game.

New titles like Campaign Atlanta and Campaign Chickamauga (which includes battles like Perryville and Chattanooga).  

Yes, I started with all the BG games (everyone), but now HPS has my full attention. 

And yes, I appauld Matrix for coming out with these new releases.  I will consider buying them for sentimental reasons, but I play mostly HPS.   
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

As for cost, if you are looking at the HPS website, they will seem expensive, but if you look at other distributors like NWS online, they sell for $27 to $29.  Not sure about shipping costs.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

single man SP losses.
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

berto

Post by berto »

Yes, the HPS games beat the BG games in almost every way. But, damn, those default HPS 3D unit graphics are bad! You can substitute alternative 3D unit graphics, though, and I readily do.

Visit the ACW Campaign Games Design Center at

http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

and try the alternative 3D unit (and other) graphics sets if you haven't already done so.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

As I told before, it's not a matter of which serie is the "best one", the old BG or the new HPS, they are different things in my opinion, and it depends upon what a player is looking for in a game. Would be a great error to try to find what you have in the BG games in the HPS titles, because the two series follow different paths and have different goals. If your are looking for something which gives you a full immersion in the atmosphere of a great battle, the old BG games are still the top. Historical accuracy, playability, atmosphere, beautiful graphics and other quality media contents - the BG games still have the best ensemble of these factors.
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Thanks for the posts.  If I were to purchase a game, I would choose between HPS or BG.  I'm still not sure.
acwbuff63

Post by acwbuff63 »

Luciano,

I respect your view, but I disagree.  If you remove the HPS campaign feature (which is a vast improvement) from the equation, each battle can be played stand alone, just the same as BG games.

So how do the follow different paths and goals?? 

So tell me, why do you say BG games give more ACW atmosphere, playability and accuracy.  The media issue is irrelavant and it has already been agreed that the 3D grahics are better with BG games. 

As for accuracy, what in inaccurate about the HPS games.  Patches have corrected many errors. 

As for playability, perhaps the BG games, they use smaller maps, and perhaps that makes it quicker, but not more accurate.

As for atmosphere, please explain.  The new HPS features and upgrades have moved these games far ahead.  And if one wants to play like the BG series, they only need to turns off these upgrades.  Very simple!

I look forward to your reply. 
lancerunolfsson

Post by lancerunolfsson »

If you remove the HPS campaign feature (which is a vast improvement) from the equation, each battle can be played stand alone, just the same as BG games.
No they don't especialy the Napoleonic. The TS games are phased more like Miniature games
Red Move
Blue Defensive fire and counter charges
Red Fire
Red Charges
flip and repeat

Now for PBEM this blows, because you have four file swaps per turn. OTH the continuos phasing of the HPS games makes for fewer file swaps but unfortuneatly results in a Panzer Grupe Napoleon. as in a single move a guy can blow a hole in a line advance through it and then attack in rear or Flank without interuption. This can be fun but not Napoleonics.

I have all of the TS Nap and ACW games and actually play them sometimes. I have have Ozark, Ehkmuhl, Napoleons Russian Campaign. FIW 1812 and 1776 and never play them.
If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”