MCS User WISHLIST

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

leek

RE: OOB Mod

Post by leek »

Thank you,

I did not know that you can load and append files. I was able to open the OOB file in Note Pad and cut and paste that way also, except that I had to re-number the unit ID# so there was no duplicate ID#

Lee
baltjes

Post by baltjes »

I think there is some misunderstanding. What I mean is that, within the OOB editor, you should open (load) your favorite organization, store it under a fancy name and then append the same organization. ALL HAPPENS WITHIN THE OOB-EDITOR. It has nothing to do with Notepad or whatever!

Hajo
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: leek

Thank you,

I did not know that you can load and append files. I was able to open the OOB file in Note Pad and cut and paste that way also, except that I had to re-number the unit ID# so there was no duplicate ID#

Lee
baltjes way is more simple but you don't renumber units if you edit org in notepad, just append it to empty oob in Org editor and program renumber units for you
Panzer Capta

RE: MCS User WISHLIST

Post by Panzer Capta »

I speak from the perspective of my eyesight only, but I would really appreciate a better means of highlighting organizations so that weary old eyes like mine can easily distinguish differences. For example, the color scheme used ito distinguish the different organizations in the John Tiller Squad Battles Series would be perfect in the 2D mode of the JTCS.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Panzer Captain

I speak from the perspective of my eyesight only, but I would really appreciate a better means of highlighting organizations so that weary old eyes like mine can easily distinguish differences. For example, the color scheme used ito distinguish the different organizations in the John Tiller Squad Battles Series would be perfect in the 2D mode of the JTCS.

Any chance of providing a screenshot so I can see what you mean?

Thanks
Jason Petho
Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

Jason,

Think of the 2D icons in JTCS, either the military symbols or the graphical symbols, with a small colored bar across the bottom. All units in the same organization would all have a bar of the same color.

I am not at my home pc so I cannot provide a screenshot...perhaps one of the other lads would be kind enough to provide a Squad Battles screenshot illustrating the color scheme used for differentiating the different organizations on the map at the same time.

Thanks,

David
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

In addition to the main scenario description, separate Allied and Axis briefings ala Combat Mission.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Hammer732

Post by Hammer732 »

Dear Jason,
Here are a few wishes for the list:

All CS:
Engineers that can lay mines in addition to clearing them.
Engineers that can construct bunkers, trenches and blocked hexes in addition to improved positions.
Officer units riding in armored vehicles.
Officers able to fire back like HQ units.
Disabled armored vehicles captured and repaired for use by opposing forces.

WF:
Implementation of ME 262 for ground attack in hypothetical scenarios.

Thanks!

Panzer Capta

Post by Panzer Capta »

And, engineers and/or equipment (dozers) that can clear wrecks from roads and particularly bridges.
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Took the words outa my mouth[X(]
ORIGINAL: Hammer732

Dear Jason,
Here are a few wishes for the list:

All CS:
Engineers that can lay mines in addition to clearing them.
Engineers that can construct bunkers, trenches and blocked hexes in addition to improved positions.
Officer units riding in armored vehicles.
Officers able to fire back like HQ units.
Disabled armored vehicles captured and repaired for use by opposing forces.

WF:
Implementation of ME 262 for ground attack in hypothetical scenarios.

Thanks!

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
The Rattler

Post by The Rattler »

My copy is in transit so im stuck with old talonsoft version until arrives, but reading the efforts of Prince Eugen and shelling the coastline to slow the soviet advance late in the war while under constant air attack ,some on map naval units could be nice. The invasion of norway could be recreated with destroyers and i think it was the cruiser hipper in support while the british race to intervene.
Aircraft, fighter/tactical bombers on map.(ala divided ground vietnam helis) Halftracks with more firepower than old talonsoft version levels.
The engineers abilities as previously stated. maybe some options(mods) for different camo schemes for armour and infantry? for example waffen ss pea spot camouflage. May be a bit hard to show with the .bmp files i agree but armour could be a go. Great job anyways by all those involved from all i have read thus far
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

In Rising Sun, extend the "battle dates" available for US/Japan to November 1945, or even 1946 to simulate Operation OLYMPIC and CORONET.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

In Rising Sun, extend the "battle dates" available for US/Japan to November 1945, or even 1946 to simulate Operation OLYMPIC and CORONET.

Tis on the list of To Do's!

Jason Petho
sgtsteiner

Post by sgtsteiner »

Hi Jason

An old chestnut but a restriction on the ability of Half-Tracks to used in Close Assaults when 'empty' or at least unaccompanied by foot-sloggers in same hex.

A major headache to code I suspect :-)

Cheers
Gary
"Merry it was to laugh there-where death becomes absurd and life absurder. For power was on us as we slashed bones bare. Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder." Wilfred Owen
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I would really like a set of keys to activate double time, examine vehicle contents, toggle between "Show visible" and "Show possible paths".  The mouse based buttons get old in extensive gaming.

Chuck
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

Gentlemen,

After playing around with this excellent game here is my wish list:

For ALL programs:
-if a tank platoon is ASSAULTED by infantry in a forested/city/other dense hex the tanks should suffer penalty in their defense
-if an infantry platoon is ASSAULTED on open terrain hex by tanks the infantry should suffer penalty in their defense
-being able to choose which turn in a scenario my paratroopers will land and especially WHERE
-engineers being able to build pontoon bridges :)
-would very much like to have copy-paste function in the map editor. that would allow the usage of big master maps and the creation of scenarios/LCGs from it.

For the future modern module release.
-Thermal image (TI) devices which allow to see not only at night but also through smoke
-Radar units (can see through smoke as well)
-Infra devices which allow night vision
-anti ATGM devices like VIRSS
-units with ATGM(foot and motorised as well) should be able to fire their ATGM ONLY IF they did not move in the present turn (ATGM is a defensive weapon!!!)
-cluster munitions(artillery and planes)
-artillery radar vehicles
-wild weasel type air stikes
-UAVs
-more advanced tanks should have more accurate attack rating aftr moving
-and many more :).

I know that is a long list especially for the modern module, but this is already working in WinSPMBT very nicely on a lower tactical level. Good luck with the enhancment of this very good game!

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
serg3d

Post by serg3d »

ORIGINAL: sztartur
-being able to choose which turn in a scenario my paratroopers will land and especially WHERE
Arn't that is exactly the reason why most of paradrops failed ?
Being able to control papadrop up to the kilometer precision wouldn't be realistic in WWII

Most probably existing AI will not be able to handle all the modern staff.
sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

ORIGINAL: serg3d
Arn't that is exactly the reason why most of paradrops failed ?
Being able to control papadrop up to the kilometer precision wouldn't be realistic in WWII

Of course there has to be some uncertainty about the drops, BUT when you have a 100X100 map or grater you shoud be able to plot a target area and have the troops land around it not farther than 3-4 kilometers or so. Also on bigger maps where maneuvering can be decisive you want the paras to support your advance which can be very different depending on your battle plan. It also increases scenario replayability.
ORIGINAL: serg3d

Most probably existing AI will not be able to handle all the modern staff.
Without including those features the modern era simulation will not be too realistic IMHO. The AI of course will never be so challenging as HI but with a good scenario setup and proper OP fire filtering that can be vastly improved.

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
hueglin

Post by hueglin »

I like the 2D maps but I find that the largerest one is still too small to want to play on most of the time.

I like the large 3D map but find the smaller ones of much less use.

Is there any way to take one of the smaller 3D map views and change it so that it is a larger 2D map view. I would like the hexes and counters to be about twice the size of the current ones on the large 2D map. I'd really like to get a look that is close to the PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader games in terms of hex size and counter look.

sztartur2

Post by sztartur2 »

Playing Steel Panthers a lot one knows that there are different platoon sizes in different armies/eras for infantry units. The infantry platoon size should be from 6 sp to 10 sp. That would mean a platoon would consist from 3 to 5 infantry squad. As far as I know 1 sp represents one half infantry squad.

Artur.

PS: What are the chances of the things mentioned here to be implemented?

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”