Rising Sun Issues

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

John in SoFla

Rising Sun Issues

Post by John in SoFla »

Hi Guys:

Any "new" news on when you will have a fix for Rising Sun? I am desperately trying to play "The Main Event" scenario and the game keeps crashing (indiscriminately) and I have wound up having to re-do entire turns...I have been doing this now for two days. Any idea why? It's not happening during the AI Japanese turns (I know caves are an issue) it's happening during my Allied turns (during movement, direct or indirect fire, airstrikes, etc.) very frustrating. I hate to think I wasted two days (thankfully not straight through!) on this game without seeing a resolution...but I'm ready to give up.

Any advice (from anybody) would be appreciated.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
Jason Petho

RE: Rising Sun Issues

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: John in SoFla

Hi Guys:

Any "new" news on when you will have a fix for Rising Sun? I am desperately trying to play "The Main Event" scenario and the game keeps crashing (indiscriminately) and I have wound up having to re-do entire turns...I have been doing this now for two days. Any idea why? It's not happening during the AI Japanese turns (I know caves are an issue) it's happening during my Allied turns (during movement, direct or indirect fire, airstrikes, etc.) very frustrating. I hate to think I wasted two days (thankfully not straight through!) on this game without seeing a resolution...but I'm ready to give up.

Any advice (from anybody) would be appreciated.

I will check my install tonight.

Have you tried reinstalling? Or at least reinstalling the updates and temporary patch?

There are also East Front and West Front to give a whirl if it continues not to work.

Jason Petho
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

Thanks, as always, for the quick response. Do I have to delete the entire game before I re-install? If I overwrite the exisiting game, will it delete the game in progress? I have v 1.02 installed and looked at the temporary patch and what issues it adresses, doesn't seem to me like it will affect what I have going on here...I could be wrong I guess, I'm not much of a "computer guy".

Thanks again. Overall, I like the game...it's these things that bug me, especailly when I have really gotten deep into a large scenario and it craps out. Very frustrating.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thanks, as always, for the quick response. Do I have to delete the entire game before I re-install? If I overwrite the exisiting game, will it delete the game in progress? I have v 1.02 installed and looked at the temporary patch and what issues it adresses, doesn't seem to me like it will affect what I have going on here...I could be wrong I guess, I'm not much of a "computer guy".

Thanks again. Overall, I like the game...it's these things that bug me, especailly when I have really gotten deep into a large scenario and it craps out. Very frustrating.

The temporary patch does have an EXE revision, so that could potentially be causing your issues. It is highly recommended to always keep the most recent version on your machine if at all possible.

Regarding your question, no, an overwrite should not affect any ongoing game you have.

Jason Petho
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

Jason:

Thanks for the suggestions and your timely help. Unfortunately...NOTHING is working and it's very very frustrating. I have wasted parts of the last three days now trying to get this thing to work...and it just doesn't. I feel like I need to say this now (and maybe I'll upset some folks, maybe I'll draw some fire back) but I am the type of person who, when he buys something, expects it to work. I don't understand how a product can be put on the market with the volume of flaws it contains, with known fixes that need to be made already planned. I know that software is a "unique" monster and does not always co-operate...but this is just not even entertaining any more...it's a real bummer. I want to like this game...I was excited when, earlier this year, I saw this was being reincarnated by Matrix as I really enjoyed the older versions...now I wish I had waited until you all had this thing figured out. I'm not going to delete "The Main Event" just yet...hopefully the fix will come along shortly and I can enjoy the rest of the game...until then, I will have to settle for two thirds of a product for which I paid 100% of the asking price.

Regards and here's hoping to a relatively quick fix.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Is it just this scenario that is causing the majority of problems?

Jason Petho
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

This is the latest Rising Sun scenario to give me trouble. The previous one that just locked up, seemingly for no reason, was "On Hallowed Soil". That would just freeze up around Axis AI controlled turn three or four. I had written in about this previous issue as well and was told by many folks that the prolem had to do with caves, and I should edit the maps. I am not a big "computer guy" and don't like messing with files, editing maps etc. so I have stayed away from RS ever since then (about a month and a half). I thought I would give it a try (especially after the temporary patch) but no luck. WF & EF both work fine...no problems at all...but RS is another story. Thanks, as always, for the fast response.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

This is the latest Rising Sun scenario to give me trouble. The previous one that just locked up, seemingly for no reason, was "On Hallowed Soil". That would just freeze up around Axis AI controlled turn three or four. I had written in about this previous issue as well and was told by many folks that the prolem had to do with caves, and I should edit the maps. I am not a big "computer guy" and don't like messing with files, editing maps etc. so I have stayed away from RS ever since then (about a month and a half). I thought I would give it a try (especially after the temporary patch) but no luck. WF & EF both work fine...no problems at all...but RS is another story. Thanks, as always, for the fast response.

If it is a cave problem, I will delete them tonight from the maps and reload the maps in this thread.

Hopefully that will fix it.

Jason Petho
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

That would be great as a temporary fix...Thanks Jason. Obviously, the best case would be to resolve the "problem" and retain the caves as they do add an element of surprise to the game that neither WF or EF have. I find myself keping a HMG or 50 cal in a captured cave in case of infiltration. The obvious question is...if I overwrite the maps with the cave "deletions" will I lose my current game or, will I still retain it with all of my current conditions intact? Finally, would ypu please add this to a "wish list " of 1.03 fixes so that the scenarios in which there are caves may be played to their fullest capabilities?

Many thanks...I'll await the new maps and hopefully can play out this scenario; albeit with an "*" attached!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

That would be great as a temporary fix...Thanks Jason. Obviously, the best case would be to resolve the "problem" and retain the caves as they do add an element of surprise to the game that neither WF or EF have.

Yes, obviously it would be a temporary fix.
I find myself keping a HMG or 50 cal in a captured cave in case of infiltration. The obvious question is...if I overwrite the maps with the cave "deletions" will I lose my current game or, will I still retain it with all of my current conditions intact?
Your current game will remain intact.
Finally, would ypu please add this to a "wish list " of 1.03 fixes so that the scenarios in which there are caves may be played to their fullest capabilities?

It is a coding problem. It is on the fix list, but I am unsure if it will make 1.03 or not.

Many thanks...I'll await the new maps and hopefully can play out this scenario; albeit with an "*" attached!

No problem.

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I have removed all of the caves from the scenarios.

This attached zip file contains a series of new Rising Sun scenario files. Unzip them into your Rising Sun directory, replacing the existing files.

Unfortunately, it means you will have to restart your scenarios if you are playing a scenario with caves.

I hope this temporary fix resovles the issue until the code can be sorted as to why it is crashing.

Jason Petho
Attachments
Rising_Sun..20070828.zip
(43.47 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

Thanks for all your help Jason...I'll let you know if this resolved the "lock-up" issue or, if not, then there may be an entirely different situation for you all to deal with.

I appreciate all of your assistance!
John in SoFla

Post by John in SoFla »

Hi Jason:

Quick FYI...all is well with the new maps. No lock ups...(I guess the caves ARE the issue). Looking forward to a permanent fix that will keep the integrity of the original scenarios intact. Until then, many thanks!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Hi Jason:

Quick FYI...all is well with the new maps. No lock ups...(I guess the caves ARE the issue). Looking forward to a permanent fix that will keep the integrity of the original scenarios intact. Until then, many thanks!

Happy to hear that it is working, for now.

Hope you're well
Jason Petho

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”