National Flag Bases for JTCS

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

Lesbaker

National Flag Bases for JTCS

Post by Lesbaker »

Hi all,
First i would like to thank all those involved in this brilliant re-release of one of my favorite war games, and applaud there hard work in expanding the scope of the game.[&o]

I'm in the process of producing some alternative unit bases using the national flag of each country, which works fine for most of the country's involved in WWII, except for Axis Russia (Soviets)and Communist China (Axis),

In the case of the Russians are these depicting the era of German/Russian co-operation as in the invasion of Poland, or do they represent the 750,000 members of the Russian Liberation Army (POA) fighting with the Germans against communist Russia?

As of the Axis Chinese i suspect that these units represent the large amount of Chinese troops from the puppet states such as Manchukuo and the Nanjing nationalist government fighting with the Japaneses, however i could be totally wrong.[&:]

If any of the designers could expand on there intentions concerning these units would be a great help, please find attached a sample of the bases for EastFront.

Attachments
EastFrontBases.gif
EastFrontBases.gif (198.44 KiB) Viewed 195 times
1925frank

RE: National Flag Bases for JTCS

Post by 1925frank »

These are really cool. 

I thought the Axis Soviets were for actions against Poland in 1939 and for hypotheticals for the near British/French v. Soviet Union in Finland in 1939.

I thought the Axis Communist Chinese were so you could have scenarios pitting the Communist Chinese against the Nationalist Chinese.

Designating them as Axis is a misnomer, but the game apparently requires fitting the combattants into one of two camps -- Axis or Allied.
Lesbaker

Post by Lesbaker »

Thanks for your input, perhaps i'm looking at this Axis/Allied thing in the wrong way.[X(]

However i could make several different bases for the Russian and Chinese axis forces to suit the battle your playing; so that you could change them using something like the Generic mod enabler before you start the game. 
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I wasn't the designer, so I don't know.  That was just my impression.  I could be wrong. 

I like your idea of having different bases depending upon the battle you are playing very much.  I think a lot of people would like different bases and victory hexes in West Front for the Canadians, the South Africans, the Australians, the New Zealanders, the Indians, and any other Commonwealth countries I may have left out.  There were other countries that are currently found under the Great Britain bases and victory hexes, such as Poland and maybe some Czech units, for which players may want other bases.  I don't know if it can be done on a scenario by scenario basis. 

I like what you've done and look forward to future postings.
Udet

Post by Udet »

1925frank:
hypotheticals for the near British/French v. Soviet Union in Finland in 1939

A very interesting hypothetical conflict. For simulating it properliy I would like to have France and Great Britain in the EF game or Finland in WF. Otherwise there would be no Finnish units in the battles.

Udet
Udet
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Those are very good observations, Udet.

I don't know where I got the idea a hypothetical conflict between France/Great Britain and the Soviet Union was intended.  It may have been wishful thinking on my part.  It's hard to imagine what might have happened if France and Great Britain had successfully intervened on behalf of the Finns in 1939.

To reflect a France/Great Britain and Soviet Union conflict properly, you would need Allied Finns in West Front.  (I believe there are already Axis Soviets in West Front, but I haven't checked.)  Or you would need France, Great Britain, and Allied Finns in East Front along with Axis Soviets.  My understanding is that at some point Matrix will join all three games under one umbrella.  If that occurs, you would still need Allied Finns.

Regarding the Axis Soviets, I haven't checked to see how they are equiped.  Generally if one nationality is fighting under another country's flag, the base is the country flag and the nationality is reflected only in the unit information (F2).  For example, there were Polish units fighting for France in 1939 and 1940, and I believe they're found in the French OOB and identified as such.  And the Spanish Blue Division is found under the German OOB.  I would expect the POA to be identified as such under the German OOB.

Are the POAs Hiwis, or were Hiwis something different?
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

"Hiwis" and ROA(РОA in cyrilic =  Русская Освободительная Армия - Russian Liberation Army) are different

Hilfswillige - local civilians or Russian prisoners who volunteer or Red Army soldiers who desert to join the Germans. These wear full German uniform with their own ranks and badges. They are attached to German regiments.

ROA aka Vlasov Army - formed in late 1944 by general Vlasov and Committee for the Liberation of the Peoples of Russia after Heinrich Himmler persuaded  Hitler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiwi_(volunteer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Liberation_Army

In CS, Soviets(Axis) are equiped with standard Red Army weaponry, they are created probably for mentioned hypothetical conflicts (post-war or pre-war)

Udet

Post by Udet »

Yours are very good observations, 1925frank!

Allied Finns would also be good for making battles from the last phase of war in Finland between the Finns and the Germans.
Are the POAs Hiwis, or were Hiwis something different?

As far as I know POA (oder ROA) stands for Russkaya Osvoboditel'naya Armiya, the Russian Liberation Army or Vlasov Army. Hiwis were all foreign volunteers serving in the Wehrmacht, but maybe I'm wrong with this.

Udet
Udet

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”