JTCS Unit Viewer

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Arkady

RE: JTCS Unit Viewer

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Great tool, very nicely done. [:)] I did notice one little bug though, If you click on a unit with no description it retains the previous one. i.e. if you click on a leader then any air support, it keeps the leader description.
ups, I think that I take care about this but I probably forgot, thanks for info

ORIGINAL: coralsaw
Great tool Arkady!

I was in the middle of creating one of my own, but no need to now, yours is pretty good so I'll stand back. A few points if I may, with a view to help improve the tool even further.

* There's additional (special camo, early/late etc) bitmaps, are they already displayed?
early/late and winter camo are displayed if available (you select camo from drop down combo box)
* I think it would be better to display soft/hard attacks in digits as well, instead of the graph, since it would be easier to understand values, and display them in-form so that the extra click is saved. Would this be possible?
I'll put data in table under graph
I made utility for size 800x600, of course today's standard is larger but I want to keep with this size. I'll try find more room in main form.
* Jason was kind enough to share with me while I was doing my own tool the attached UnitGuide file. Most probably you can display more data based on this classification (credit to beta testers, I believe).
thanks, I'll look at it...now I reach limit for free users and can not download it, If you can, send iot to me to arkady@arkady.cz
* Out of curiosity I see the footprint of your app is pretty small, what is it written in? Are you using an in-memory data representation (most probably) or a database created on the fly?

Regards,
Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
- it is one of free tool for .NET programming
I read all data into memory streams

ORIGINAL: JoMc67

Just did a quick look thru at Arkady's Unit Viewer:
Noticed in both EF, WF, that the Tiger 1 has a range of 16 and the Tiger 2 has a range of only 12, please tell me there is a discrepincy in this.
Joe
well, those data are from weapon.pdx files, you must ask develepors why they have range for hard targets 4km/3km

check stats for guns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_KwK_36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KwK_43_L/71

and this page http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html
states that effective range for TIger I is 3000 m with armour piercing and 5000 m with HE rounds
Arkady
Arkady

RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - New Version

Post by Arkady »

Hi,
I finished new version.
Just download and replace old files.
http://arkady.cz/utilities/JTCS_Unitviewer.zip

4 new features
- Change Path button allows you select path to different location if you have more than one game installation. Selected path is stored.
- Table with all attack values for hard and soft targets under Weapons Range Chart
- Numbers explanation for Targeting, Indirect Fire, Carry/Tow, Digging and Unit Type values. Just hover your mouse over different color cells and tool tip with description appear
- Units comparison for up to four units (withing selected game only but different nations supported). If you select one or more units with Compare/Remove button, new panel appear with all tables - unit(s) stats and weapon attack values

First post updated too.

Arkady
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

And some screenshots [:)]

Different Camo selection

Units comparison (and values explained)

Weapons Range Chart with attack values table
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

[X(]

cool thanks [:)]
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

A superb update, for an already superb addon. Does that make it superberer? [:D]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: MartNick

A superb update, for an already superb addon. Does that make it superberer? [:D]

Sounds reasonable to me! I should say looks reasonable to me! [:D]
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Wow - I finally got around to download this and it really is AMAZING!!!

Very well done - you are Da Man!!

- Louie
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

Your utility comes w/ 2 files.  I saved to my desktop & it is a very professional product. I have 2 questions...

Do you have a recommendation on where I should save the 2 files? 

What is the best way to access the program while playing the game.

Thank you!
Jack
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Both files (fmodex.dll and settings.txt) keep together with executable file.
I advice that you make directory somewhere on your disk, place all files there and then create shortcut on your desktop.

If you want access utility while you playing the game use Alt+Tab to switch between applications. It doesn't matter what you run first. You can run utility first then Campaign Series or vice versa.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Hello Arkady,

First let me say what a wonderful piece of work you have provided to us. Thanks! ... I downloaded successfully and have your original JTCS Unit Viewer working perfectly. However the updated version doesn't seem to be working for some unknown reason?. I downloaded latest version and replaced the old files. But when I bring up my JTCS Unit Viewer all I see is my old version that I replaced. I've tried this over twice. Once by removing the JTCS unit viewer completely and then downloading the latest version. No success though. Any ideas ? .... thanks!
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Hi,
They looks similar, if you see Change path button on main screen then you have new version

Comparison tab appear only if you select some unit(s) to compare

You can check for your version by right click on JTCS_UnitViewer.exe, select Properties, switch to Version tab - it should be 1.0.2.1

I hope that it helps

1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

When I try to launch, I get the following message:  "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).  Click on OK to terminate the application."  Any suggestions?  Do I need to download the supplemental programming mentioned in the very first post?  Is it a different problem?  Neandrathal Ned here needs some advice.  All the comments are incredibly enthusiastic about the Unit Viewer, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Yep, it seems that you need .NET 2.0 framework runtime.
Link is in the first post of this thread.
Download and install it and try again, let me know if problem persist

Arkady
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Thank you, Arkady.  I'll give that a try tonight and report back.

How does a person celebrate a birthday in the 27th Penal Battalion?
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

Thank you, Arkady. I'll give that a try tonight and report back.

How does a person celebrate a birthday in the 27th Penal Battalion?

<officer in hearing distance>
- work, work and more work to create better JTCS Unit Viewer
[;)]

<no officer>
i'm going to be dead drunk
[8D]
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

LOL
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

The NET 2.0 framework runtime allowed me to run the Unit Viewer.&nbsp; It's really impressive.&nbsp; Thank you very much.
&nbsp;
I'm not able to access during a game by pressing Alt + Tab.&nbsp; I'm assuming there's something odd about my computer, because the Unit Viewer appears to be working fine for everyone else.
&nbsp;
Thanks again for your help.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

What's happen if you Alt+Tab from the game ?

Keep Alt key pressed after first Tab and panel with all running applications will be visible. Keep pressing Tab key until you select desired application (Unit Viewer for example) then release all keys ...
Temple

Post by Temple »

With the new revision changes (especially the compare function!) this really is just a brilliant application to help me out with all the new units and even the older units. The tables in the original manual put the information for a unit type in two different sections, but this app places them together. Bravo!&nbsp;
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

ORIGINAL: Arkady

What's happen if you Alt+Tab from the game ?

Keep Alt key pressed after first Tab and panel with all running applications will be visible. Keep pressing Tab key until you select desired application (Unit Viewer for example) then release all keys ...

You're brilliant! (I'm not going to comment on my own limited abilities.)

When I initially hit Alt+Tab, I naively thought something would jump onto the screen and stay there for me to study. I saw the horizontal bar, but it vanished, and I didn't realize its significance. I then saw a black screen.

With the help of your instructions, when I launched the game, and when I hit Alt+Tab and held it, I saw the running applications to which you referred. I did not, however, find the Unit Viewer. I exited the game, launched the Unit Viewer, minimized the Unit Viewer, and launched the game again. This time when I hit Alt-Tab with the game running, I saw the Unit Viewer logo and was able to launch it from within the game.

Is this the way it's supposed to work, or have I still missed a step or messed something up? Do I have to launch the Unit Viewer and minimize before going into the game, or is there a way to launch both the game and the Unit Viewer at the same time and avoid having to launch and minimize the Unit Viewer first? If there's a way to mess something up royally, I usually find it.

This really is a great addition. Thanks again.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”