I am FINISHED...ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Knavey

I am FINISHED...ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!

Post by Knavey »

YES...the 1 kill in this mission killed one of my aces with 18 kills! And damaged a bunch of my planes to boot! ONE stinkin' bomber! This game is so borked it is not even playable! [:@]

Why do we even bother????

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/22/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Akyab, at 30,29

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 5

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Blenheim I bombing at 1000 feet
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
TIMJOT

RE: I am FINISHED...ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!

Post by TIMJOT »

Yes, yes Knavey, Major Takeo Kato the IJAAF first great ace was shot down and killed, by a Blenheim turret gunner Sgt. Jock McLuckie "an appropriate name if I ever heard one". He subsequently damaged and drove off 3 other attackers. The fact that the Blenheim was wave hoping didnt allow for much manuvering by the attackers, I believe.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

What's the problem... ?

Unarmoured and undergunned fighters going after a (fast)bomber and one gets shot down by a dorsal gunner ?

Murphy's law.....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Williamb

Post by Williamb »

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/ ... II-Ace.php

Group finds remains of German WWII ace shot down over Italy
The Associated PressPublished: August 14, 2007

ROME: Italian volunteers located the plane of a German ace shot down during World War II as well as the pilot's remains, including the dog tag and good luck charms he carried into combat, they said Tuesday.

The volunteers found the plane flown by Flight Sgt. Maximilian Volke — a Munich-born pilot credited with shooting down 37 enemy planes — near the site of the German defensive line that witnessed months of bloody battles as the Allies fought to liberate northern Italy.

The dig yielded artifacts including the plane's engine and the pilot's radio microphone, as well as a wallet with money, documents and images of the Virgin Mary and an African elephant.

"He probably carried the images for good luck," Venieri told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "The positive identification came from the dog tag we found in his pocket."

Volke, a veteran of campaigns in Russia and Africa, was 29 when he took off from a northern Italian air base on Sept. 5, 1944, with three other fighters to intercept a group of nine American B-25 bombers. He was shot down by gunners in one of the U.S. planes, Venieri said, citing witness accounts and the bomber squadron's logs.
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

don't give up...there is still hope.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

pauk

Post by pauk »

oh, he got you guys, once again![:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Aside from the very first poster to respond, methinks.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: William Amos

ROME: Italian volunteers located the plane of a German ace shot down during World War II as well as the pilot's remains, including the dog tag and good luck charms he carried into combat, they said Tuesday.

The volunteers found the plane flown by Flight Sgt. Maximilian Volke — a Munich-born pilot credited with shooting down 37 enemy planes — near the site of the German defensive line that witnessed months of bloody battles as the Allies fought to liberate northern Italy.

The dig yielded artifacts including the plane's engine and the pilot's radio microphone, as well as a wallet with money, documents and images of the Virgin Mary and an African elephant.

"He probably carried the images for good luck," Venieri told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "The positive identification came from the dog tag we found in his pocket."

Volke, a veteran of campaigns in Russia and Africa, was 29 when he took off from a northern Italian air base on Sept. 5, 1944, with three other fighters to intercept a group of nine American B-25 bombers. He was shot down by gunners in one of the U.S. planes, Venieri said, citing witness accounts and the bomber squadron's logs.

Anything can happen (old Slavic proverb: "Even blind chick sometimes finds corn")... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's Slavic? Didn't know that...
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Terminus

You use it as well?

If yes then it's international... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

A law of applied combat science: Bullets are not discriminatory. If you are there, when it is there, you are somewhat diminished. No matter if the plane had a single machine gun, or ten, it is the single almighty bullet in your space which is the determining factor.
Nothing more.

I kinda like the "corn thing" though.

tabpub

Post by tabpub »

Anything can happen (old Slavic proverb: "Even blind chick sometimes finds corn")...

Hehe....

Over here, it's:

"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile......" or...
"Even a blind pig finds a corncob once in awhile...." or.... well, you get it...
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

A law of applied combat science: Bullets are not discriminatory. If you are there, when it is there, you are somewhat diminished. No matter if the plane had a single machine gun, or ten, it is the single almighty bullet in your space which is the determining factor.
Nothing more.

I kinda like the "corn thing" though.

"I'm not worried about the bullet that has my name on it; it's the ones with 'to whom it may concern' that scare me."
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

ORIGINAL: pauk

Ayup. He's good at it. Keeps 'em far enough apart that the old "rant" isn't remembered. This Nuc is good. Brings a tear to my eye everytime with the way it carrys it off. [:D]

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Terminus

You use it as well?

If yes then it's international... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Yup! "Even a blind hen can sometimes find corn"...
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I'm used to it.

I grew up with him.

I still remember the time that he pain-stakingly opened every Oreo in the cookie jar, and added a little Tabasco for seasoning; then waited with anticipation as I unwittingly selected one...  [X(]

Lucky for him, Dad wasn't the one to try the Oreos first...

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

pauk

Post by pauk »

[:D]
Big B

Post by Big B »

I have to agree...I forgot what he was doing (again) until reading further down...

He is a master at his craft![:D]
ORIGINAL: Whipple
ORIGINAL: pauk

Ayup. He's good at it. Keeps 'em far enough apart that the old "rant" isn't remembered. This Nuc is good. Brings a tear to my eye everytime with the way it carrys it off. [:D]

Whipple
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Oh ye of short memories. I was going to google for information on that particular combat, except that my PBEM turn arrived just as I was reading Knavey's opening post of this thread. I knew that someone else would find the information while I was playing my turn...
fair winds,
Brad
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: William Amos

Anything can happen (old Slavic proverb: "Even blind chick sometimes finds corn")... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"
Naw.. there's a Southern variant of that. "Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while!"
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”