OT-Super Low flying F-14

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Wolfie1

RE: OT-Super Low flying F-14

Post by Wolfie1 »

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

ORIGINAL: USS America

On one of my deployments on board USS America, we had an F-14 and an F-18 do supersonic fly-byes. When they are that close, and that low, it's incredibly impressive to "feel" the sonic boom. [X(][&o]

Some terrorists took over a train in Holland, in the 70s I believe. The hostage rescue team coordinated their break-in to come right after a low, high-speed flyby of a pair of F-4s lighting their burners over the top of the train. Kinda like an early model flash-bang grenade.

They where F 104's,
Talk about a plane that could ONLY go fast.....

Try and turn it and you're in trouble[;)]

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Wolfie1
That one reminds me of when I worked in an office about 2 miles from the British Aerospace factory, it was about 1988 and a test pilot was on his last day before retirement - he took a Lightning up and basically broke every rule in the book. Every window in the canteen blew from the sonic boom and I watched him come down the river Ribble so low he was leaving a wake - just like that pic[:D]

I worked an air show every year when I was in college. Most of the time I worked on the announcer's stand feeding data to the guy telling the crowd about the aircraft, so I was kind of at the center of things.

One year we had a newly restored F-86 that had just gotten it's airworthiness certificate. The owner loaned the plane to a test pilot for Lockheed who after a few fly bys with some other aircraft radioed the tower that he had a bit of extra fuel and would it be OK if he did a few extra fly bys. He got the go ahead and proceded to beat up the field from one end to the other violating every FAA rule for airshows including knife edges right over the heads of the crowd. (It was one of the best air show performances I'd ever seen.) The FAA people were furious and almost shut down the air show.

I heard later that the FAA tried like mad to pull the guy's license for several months afterwards but found the DoD prevented it at every turn. A few years later, I put 2 and 2 together. This was right in the middle of the F-117 test program and this guy was probably vital to the program. He knew that he could do anything he wanted to and the FAA wouldn't be able to do squat about it.

The first year I didn't go to the airshow, the F-86 met a tragic end. The owner was flying it and had a flame out right after take off. There was a freshly plowed field just past the runway he could have bellied in, but he tried to turn at low altitude with no power, stalled, caught a wing tip and cart wheeled down the runway. The F-86 was reduced to scrap metal and the pilot killed.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
CJ Martin

Post by CJ Martin »

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

I am sure the pilot caught some flak about this flyover[;)]
Photo taken from CVN Stennis....

Wrong on both counts.

This picture was taken on the USS America during a dependents day cruise in 1989. The pilot was Dale "Snort" Snodgrass, then XO of VF-33.

http://www.sponauer.com/snodgrass/index.html

-CJ
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Thx CJ, that was an interesting read.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

I've met Snort several times. He was finishing up at Fighter wing When I was starting my Navy Career. I had a hand in producing his retirement video. Still have a copy. Pretty Eye watering. And I mean the flying...
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

timtom

Post by timtom »

Wonder what's going through the backseater's mind? [:D]

Attachments
6206EFF2BF..9B7621D8.jpg
6206EFF2BF..9B7621D8.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Where's the Any key?

Dunedain

Post by Dunedain »

Probably something along the lines of, "Oh God, please don't let Dale make even the smallest mistake or anything go wrong with the plane!". :)
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: CJ Martin

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

I am sure the pilot caught some flak about this flyover[;)]
Photo taken from CVN Stennis....

Wrong on both counts.

This picture was taken on the USS America during a dependents day cruise in 1989. The pilot was Dale "Snort" Snodgrass, then XO of VF-33.

http://www.sponauer.com/snodgrass/index.html

-CJ

Thank you! I thought I'd seen that picture before, earlier than the Stennis.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: timtom

Wonder what's going through the backseater's mind? [:D]

Probably: I don't want to swim today!!! [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”