JTCS Unit Viewer

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

LarryP

RE: JTCS Unit Viewer

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: LarryP
This viewer reads the path to the files it needs through the Resistry of XP. Put it anywhere you want and run it. It will find what you need by itself. Hope that helps. [:)]

I wonder how that works for multiple installs?

Jason Petho

Ohhhh, that's a good question. [&:] The programmer needs to implement that. Free software can become a burden, huh?! [;)]

Jason... you NEED to be getting paid good cause you sure do a lot of thinking. And fast! [:D] [&o]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Ohhhh, that's a good question. [&:] The programmer needs to implement that. Free software can become a burden, huh?! [;)]

Here's hoping!

Jason... you NEED to be getting paid good cause you sure do a lot of thinking. And fast! [:D] [&o]

Ah, I wish.

Thank you!

Jason Petho
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Ah, I wish.

Thank you!

Jason Petho

Well, then we need to take up an offering brothers! [&:] Can I get an Amen?!
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Amen!  (For emphatic graphics, imagine a smiley face doing multiple cartwheels.  I didn't see one of those in the selection.)

You're over my head again.  Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer?  Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

There's also a subsequent download with a correction or two.  Can I go with just the second?

Not only does Jason think fast, but he types fast.  If not for both talents, I'm fairly sure others would beat him to the post.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank
You're over my head again.  Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer?  Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

I was referring to multiple installs of the Campaign Series.

For example, I presently have four installs of the Campaign Series installed on my machine for testing and modding purposes. Which of those installs would the JTCS Viewer actually be reading?

Jason Petho
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

You're over my head again. Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer? Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

Not only does Jason think fast, but he types fast. If not for both talents, I'm fairly sure others would beat him to the post.

I thought Jason meant multiple installations of the game, not the viewer. Gosh, maybe I took him wrong?! [&:] Just when I think I have my brain functioning correctly, along comes trouble... [:D]

If it were not for Jason, where would this section be??? I think he answers before we even click "OK." [;)]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

How in the heck did you get your post above mine?????? See what I mean, Bruuthers??? [:D][:D]

Should have been a reply to Jason, not myself! What a ding a ling.[:(]
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

This viewer reads the path to the files it needs through the Resistry of XP. Put it anywhere you want and run it. It will find what you need by itself. Hope that helps. [:)]

I wonder how that works for multiple installs?

Jason Petho

Well, in registry is path to last installed version, I believe that one installation is enough, if you need separate version for mods you just copy entire folder to different location

But of course my utility read only registry path, I have now two improvements in work,
a) Change Path - you should change path to different location, it can help with viewing units in mods

b) Unit Compare - you can mark unit for comparison against other unit(s) (up to four units...it is enough IMO)
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Do you have JTCS Unitviewer working now ?

I'm leaving for next few days so if you need help with install, let me know quick [:D]
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: flying scotsman

WOW! Arkady, Many thanks for the excellent information. In the other post you mention, what do you mean by "West Front
platoon09 - unit number P09232 - in obx file are wrong delimiters after fire cost and concealment values"

What are "delimiters"
values are separated by spaces, I call them delimiters [:D]

It is probably my deformation as everything that separate data is delimiter to me (commas, spaces, tabs, semicolons etc. )
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

ORIGINAL: Arkady

Do you have JTCS Unitviewer working now ?

I'm leaving for next few days so if you need help with install, let me know quick [:D]

Seems to be working perfectly [&o] Many thanks again.

Did a search on delimiters. Didn't realise it was to do with some serious programming !!
Will leave it to the experts, although I did manage to get it fixed, more by luck than anything else.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: Arkady
It's pretty cool to see all the new toys we'll get to play with some day...

did notice an error when opening United States for WF.....error on line 70 or something like that....[&:]

2. How does the game know which picture to show for each unit? I'm talking about the small black and white photograph, of each unit, the one that appears in the bottom left of Arkadys unit viewer utility?
In the example, P09232 3 1 2 33 0 0 40 25 4 1 1 1 10 0 1 14 66 P09232 3 33 0 1 8 8 41 2 43 12 2 1 1 Loyd AT Carriers , AT Carriers , it is the first number, the unique unit identifier P09232.

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
cw58

Post by cw58 »

quote:

Also have a couple of quick questions if any one can help?

1. In a platoon .oob how do the numbers for unit type relate to the game? That's the 21st number to the right or no. 33 in the above example.

I know that Arkady has already answered this (and correctly) but if I might add a little to what he said: IMO the column has to do with the method of movement. The 33 in your example represents fully tracked movement (i.e. tanks that can cross a medium bridge). Others include 97 (larger tanks that can't cross a medium bridge), 36 (half-tracked), 2 (foot movement), 258 (combined foot/ski).

Also some numbers are sums of 2 numbers: for example, 33+128=161. The 33 is lt. tank movement, 128 is amphibious movement, so 161 in that column gives you lt. amphibious tank movement. Anyway, these are my observations from looking at Germany's platoon.oob files. Hope it helps.

Arkady: Wow! Your unit viewer is incredible. Keep up the great work![:D]

cw58
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Dear Arkady,

Thank you for the cool tool. If you want to open the project up I am a coder and would like to work on it. If you are interested in posting source code on your site I would be glad to work with you.

In any case, thanks.

Chuck
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Great tool, very nicely done. [:)] I did notice one little bug though, If you click on a unit with no description it retains the previous one. i.e. if you click on a leader then any air support, it keeps the leader description.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
coralsaw

Post by coralsaw »

Great tool Arkady!

I was in the middle of creating one of my own, but no need to now, yours is pretty good so I'll stand back. A few points if I may, with a view to help improve the tool even further.
  • There's additional (special camo, early/late etc) bitmaps, are they already displayed?
  • I think it would be better to display soft/hard attacks in digits as well, instead of the graph, since it would be easier to understand values, and display them in-form so that the extra click is saved. Would this be possible?
  • Jason was kind enough to share with me while I was doing my own tool the attached UnitGuide file. Most probably you can display more data based on this classification (credit to beta testers, I believe).
  • Out of curiosity I see the footprint of your app is pretty small, what is it written in? Are you using an in-memory data representation (most probably) or a database created on the fly?
Regards,

/coralsaw
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

[*] Out of curiosity I see the footprint of your app is pretty small, what is it written in? Are you using an in-memory data representation (most probably) or a database created on the fly?
[/ul]
Regards,

/coralsaw

Looks to me like Visual Studio 2005 in C++ or C#, hard to tell which. [8|]
sfinlay

Post by sfinlay »

Thanks for the help Guys. It's very encouraging to see so many people give their time and effort to share what they know about the game!
Krec

Post by Krec »

wow,

great info in a easy to use pc of software ,  Great Job.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

JoMc67

Post by JoMc67 »

Just did a quick look thru at Arkady's Unit Viewer:
Noticed in both EF, WF, that the Tiger 1 has a range of 16 and the Tiger 2 has a range of only 12, please tell me there is a discrepincy in this.
                                       Joe

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”