HQ questions

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

randell765

HQ questions

Post by randell765 »

I have 3 questions on HQ's

1)Can Hq's be taken over?

2)Can Hq's be damaged?

3)Do Hq's add anything if you bring them into battle?
SMK-at-work

RE: HQ questions

Post by SMK-at-work »

[vaguely Asian voiceover]
Good questions young glasshopper.

For the first the answer is.....

No...your head quarters units never fight for the other side!

Your second question is deep and meaningful...and after much careful consideration I can reveal that...no, your headquarters cannot be damaged.

Lastly...this is WW1 ....what do you think a general leading from the front would achieve?? Nothing!! And the game accurately refelcts that because that is what they add to combat...nothing.

And so glasshopper, the cherry blossom knows no bounds.....

[/vaguely Asian voiceover]
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

3)Do Hq's add anything if you bring them into battle?

HQ's may provide an improvement to readiness, which translates into a better combat capability. Units stacked with HQ's in combat appear to lose less readiness when fighting.

j campbell

Post by j campbell »

good to know- i exected like SMK that they did nothing and so kept them off the front lines.  perhaps i will have to put a few back in. 
"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Wonder if Frank could chime in on this HQ Readiness boost possibility?
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Ot it might be that Def's attacks where he had HQ's were at better odds so he lost less readiness....they didnt' add anything in the beta - the only question asked about them was whether they should lose activation points if they were over-run......
mikebowen1962

Post by mikebowen1962 »

If HQs can not be damaged you could abuse this by using a line of HQs to slow an advance forcing a player to use a HQ point to activate perhaps HQs on their own could be entered by a player without spending an AP
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

ORIGINAL: Mike Bowen

If HQs can not be damaged you could abuse this by using a line of HQs to slow an advance forcing a player to use a HQ point to activate perhaps HQs on their own could be entered by a player without spending an AP

Well...

To enter enemy territory you have to activate an HQ, so it doesn't cause the player to "burn" activations.

The only hindrance would be to cavalry which could normally move into an enemy hex without a HQ activation. So... yes you can "game" it a bit here but it isn't going to help you very much.

Ray (alias Lava)
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

Hi SMK,
Ot it might be that Def's attacks where he had HQ's were at better odds so he lost less readiness....

That is certainly possible.

I generally put my best corps in the hex with the HQ, not wanting to risk losing its offensive points.

But I have noticed, in combats with & without an HQ, that the hexes in which an HQ is present appears to lose less readiness. Is there maybe a readiness boost for an HQ? It would make sense if they did...

Maybe Frank could weigh in and answer for us.
TheBlackhorse

Post by TheBlackhorse »

Actually, Any HQ that is forced to retreat will lose Activation Points. This means, you might NOT want to keep those HQ in the front lines proper. 
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

And cavalry can enter enemy occupied hexes except cities, ie those with troops in them, without activation as long as they start stacked with infantry....so there's really no upside for this [8D]
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

still,  since there is no radius of hexes for Hq (they all have 1 surrounding hex radius) it would seem more beneficial to burn them down 1 at a time.  Chances are that you will never hace all your HQ's at Full strength after the first 2 turns anyway.  you can successfully use a "0" Hq as  part of your line to slow an enemy's advance.  if you lose is oh well there are many more where it came from.  seems like an effective albeit dangerous strategem.  if he does not recon the unit he may believe that it is a lv A 24 str inf unit.  Cav or no cav. 

hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Or you can defend with artillery units only, barraging the enemy before being forced to retreat. Could be quite a heroic hollywood movie [;)]
Hit them where they aren't
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

are arty units the same way? i hadn't realized that?  if you attack a hex with only arty units are they not just destroyed?
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Nope - only if receiving an additional damage from artillery barrage.

Although i don't have any hard data on the possibility of receiving damage from ground combat as well - can anyone help out on this ?

But i have never lost damaged artillery from ground combat so far.
Hit them where they aren't
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

thats not good if it is true-they shoudl be destroyed as well as HQ units if attacked alone.  why not give HQ units a str of like 3-5 or something?
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

j campbell the point is that having a HQ unit alone in a hex doesabsolutely nothing - it does not slow the enemy advance because it makes no difference to how they can advance into the hex compared to an empty hex - they either spend an activation point or send in a cav unit.

so a hex with a HQ unit in it has EXACTLY the same effect on teh enemy advance as an empty hex that you own.

QED - putting HQ's alone in hexes to slow the enemy down or cause him to use resources is a pointless exercise.
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

i would not say that it has absolutely no benefit.  if you screen a city (deploy the 0 hq unit 1 hex in front of  threatened city-one that could be taken in 2 impulses by actively moving inf units) then the enely has to regard it as being an inf unit rather than an hq unit unless he knows otherwise. 

If you have adjacent to me a unit-i know not the disposition or strength of it and i wanted the hex i am not sending in a cav unit for gods sake-i am sending in a massed inf assault.  but what if its not an inf unit at allbut a 0 lv Hq?  then it just retreats with no effect and i have used an activation-see it does in fact serve a purpose.
j campbell

Post by j campbell »

it would not serve the russians adequately to send in 1 inf unit if the german unit was a lv 24 inf unit and not a lv 0 hq-that my point-if the ruskies will assault they will do it on force (if they are wise). hence perhaps using a lv 0 hq to screen your line may serve useful-whether or not you will find a place for it in the game is another matter.  perhaps this tactic can be used on the west front but it is small so i don't know-by the way i have never tried this just thinking aloud.  
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I'd happily send a cav unit against a single unknown unit - it saves me an activation point and tells me what's there if I haven't recce'd it already.

Unless I'm pushing hard and don't have any cavalry, in which case I have to spend an activation point anyway...and that is the normal case for me - if I'm making a push then using cavalry to scout only slows me down, so I don't.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”