Uncommon Valor 2.0 beta

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding. The graphics and scenarios are easily modifiable. Discuss your experiements in this area and get tips and advice!

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Lebatron

Uncommon Valor 2.0 beta

Post by Lebatron »

I have made some changes to my Uncommon Valor scenario to incorporate some new features of the game engine. Plus have made some map improvements to boot.

Get it Here

Quick list of changes

A new map featuring a more pleasing ocean color along with the old WAW style land zones.
Map changes in Africa prevent unrealistic marches thru Africa's center. Same in Australia.
Sea changes by France correct the range between England and Spain(making it 3) and introduce new gameplay.

Using new transport rules. The base valve of a transport is now 15 with an adjacent port giving a 15 point bonus. At 1 sea zone from a port the bonus becomes 10. At 2 or more sea zones from port there is no longer a bonus. In addition to these values, hostile territories which are adjacent to a transport cause a 10 point penaly to transport capacity. New ports have been added to help spread this bonus over more sea zones and several old ones have been slightly moved.

France has factory multiple 1 at start of game now. Added Infantry and Arty to que to speed up deployment, along with a bump in starting population to deploy these new troops. Would also have liked to set US to FM1 at start, but NMRC is not flexible enough to allow me to specify a 39 and 40 comsumption. Instead it's based on factory multiple. Perhaps changes can be made here so in the future this could be introduced.

Germany's NMRC is set to 3 until at war with Russia or FM3.

Russian factory multiple 2 is bumped to 13WR to force some strat moves to Eastern Poland. Helps Germany do a little more damage during Barbarossa.

Using new Abomb win conditions. When Japan's at 5VP's or less, surrender will trigger when A-bomb is dropped on a populated region that turn.

Reduced the WR bump when German subs sink UN transports from 25%/50% to 20%/40%. In my experience it felt to high which really discouraged me from using a strong sub strategy. It does not seem worthwhile for Germany to spend heavily on Subs only to see the US reach factory multiple 2, two or more turns earlier. This extra production more than makes up for the 7 or so more transports you sink. In some extreme cases a heavy sub strategy actually helps the UN greatly. Strange but true. I would rather spend German production on a sure thing like better Inf and Tanks than see it wasted in the Atlantic. Perhaps this reduction in WR bump percentage will help make a strong sub strat worthwhile.

Battle of Britain is now a worthwhile pursuit. Germany and UN now start game with 3 tech points in Fighter range. World standard reduced to 1 to make range 3 more costly and to delay its development until mid to late game.

A new suppression formula is being tried. I got rid of the random divisor and used a fixed divisor of 2. With the higher average results that are now possible, I compensated by upping the damage threshold. It used to be 500% of duru, now it's 1000%. When it used to take 15 or 20 suppression to damage, it's now 30 or 40 depending on dura of unit. From what I seen so far I kind of like it this way. It makes upgrades worthwhile again since the extra die will only be divided by 2.

Heavy and Light fleets now have better AA. A needed change because of the new suppresson formula I'm using.

Added 1 Flak to China and increased their Flak to 6AA. Again changed because of new formula.

French factory multiple maxes out at 2 instead of 3.

New events and some removed.
A. The Italy event now gets a 15% boost to join if Yugo is captured before event triggers. Also this event adds 2 Militia to Tobrok. This was added to give something for a late entry when Italy's insta join fails to trigger when France falls.
B. The Madagascar event will trigger after Japan attacks the UN. It will create 2 Militia and 5 supply. This event was created to reflect Madagascar's willingness to resupply Jap subs, which forced the UN to respond by invading Madagascar to prevent that. Look up "the Battle of Madagascar" or "Operation Ironclad" for more details.
C. The other 2 new ones(Portugal and Spain's)are already familiar to those playing Global Glory. They are similiar to what I did in Franco's Alliance that I had to borrow them. Brian spared me the hard work in writing my own:)

Several starting unit positions have been changed. Of note is new British carrier off India that is meant to be rebased to Eastern Med. Call it the HMS Eagle if you will. French fleet placement in Med meant to prevent UN player metagaming that would not take place if game was started in Spring 40.

Crete has been changed so that it's now considered an op-fire island for the Aegean Sea. Now the Axis have a good reason to take it.

Many more small changes. To many to list for now.

In the new Bay of Biscay(region 375) I noticed the battle popup appears over the units. You can still click on them just to the side where the unit sticks out, or try another zoom size to select unit. I will need to redo these seas anyway to fix that, and also the border error I made in the English Channel.

Here's a pic of the new Africa.

Attachments
Africa.jpg
Africa.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Lebatron

RE: Uncommon Valor 2.0 beta

Post by Lebatron »

Sorry I made an error concerning the French port in Western France. Some of you may have noticed you could not move ships in or out. I also made a few other changes today so pick up this small update. Zip files aren't supported so I changed the ending to .txt Replace that ending with .zip before you use file.

File no longer needed. Get the latest from top message.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Here is Europe with the new sea zones off of France. Notice the new tank in France. It will provide a nice CAM bonus if Germany makes deployment mistakes. Also prevents CAM on the Maginot Line.

Attachments
Europe.jpg
Europe.jpg (109.26 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Here is Australia with the Outback turned into impassible terrain. Air can still fly over, but land units can't pass thru. An amphibious landing in the Northern Territory(the easiest for Japan to reach) created to easy of a path to Melbourne by cutting strait thru Australia's middle. This change makes things more realistic.

Attachments
Australia.jpg
Australia.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 329 times
GKar

Post by GKar »

Looking great, Lebatron! I'll try it out one of these days. [:)]
Thanks for your work.
MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet »

Hi there Lebatron:

I like almost all of those changes and I plan to use your new UV scenario in the 2 vs 2 tourney starting on Round3. (couple months away still)

Since that tournament revolves highly around the eventual East vs West I was wondering if there is anything you can do in the UV scenario that will help close the balance gap in the eventual WWIII?

As I ponder all the ideas I have, I realize that my ideas would be modding WWIII scenario not WWII. Is there a way to connect a different WWIII scenario if it is a continuation game?

Possible Ideas in WWIII are:
a) change Soviet AV to 20
b) change WA AV to 20 + Either Moscow or Len + Stallingrad
c) give WA NMRC in WWIII (maybe 30 or so)
d) Let Resources in Mother Rus (only the ones in RU nationality areas)  be x2 after German surrender
e) France FM1 only (includes WW2)
f) All surrendered resources and rails destroyed (maybe even Frenchh and Italian surrender also)
g) US out of A bombs for WWIII (ie no population loss on HB attacks)
h) Partisons in Russia if ocupied by WA

Looks like d,e and f could be done in WW2 also.

Thats if for now.
I would love to help you do some testing but as my opponents can tell you I have a very hard time finding time for gameing this time of the year (gota ride the Harley and chase them dam women)

By the way how are you set for gaming time? There is a spot open in the 2 vs 2 tournament replaceing Dobelin and teaming up with Boerwar (he seems quite good) As you probably know 2 vs 2 is not as demanding on your time as 1vs1.

-MrQuiet

Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

To be honest I haven't ever given any thought about improving the East vs West scenario because I have almost no interest in playing it. If I was going to make changes to it, to make it compatible with my new map, I would add the workable suggestions in. As far as connecting a different version of East vs West for continuation games, I think the best way to go is to just assume that the scenario is going to be played that way and balance it accordingly. So if I include the scenario in my mod it will be meant for a continuation game and not meant to be played as a stand alone.

a) change Soviet AV to 20
could do.

b) change WA AV to 20 + Either Moscow or Len + Stallingrad
Not sure if you can specify certain regions anymore like you used to be able to in WAW
like this line VICTORY,AXIS_ALLIANCE,VIC_DECISIVE,VIC_TYPE_AMOUNT,70,3103,3116
I think the best way to encurage victory via taking certain locations is to make them worth more. Without key places like these, reaching AV should be hard. What would seem best would be to pull back some of those SP's and place them deeper into Russia. 2 at Len, 2 at Stal, 3 at Moscow for example and reduce or even remove many near Berlin.

c) give WA NMRC in WWIII (maybe 30 or so)
could do.

d) Let Resources in Mother Rus (only the ones in RU nationality areas) be x2 after German surrender
I don't believe there is any way to mod that. Besides a NMRC for the UN acomplishes something similar.

e) France FM1 only (includes WW2)
Could do.

f) All surrendered resources and rails destroyed (maybe even Frenchh and Italian surrender also)
I believe Brian recently posted on this vary topic. He would have to enable that feature in code.

g) US out of A bombs for WWIII (ie no population loss on HB attacks)
Kind of out of character but can be done. But why? Maybe we can find a balance that preserves it.

h) Partisons in Russia if ocupied by WA
Could do.

Since college is just a few weeks away and I need to brush up, I don't think I got the time to play another game. I got 3 going right now which is taking to much time already, plus my ongoing playtesting of UV2.0. Sorry I'll have to pass this time.
MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet »

Thanks for your reply.
My Ideas were just suggestions to give Russia a chance in WWIII so I am sure you get the idea.

I like this:
I think the best way to encurage victory via taking certain locations is to make them worth more. Without key places like these, reaching AV should be hard. What would seem best would be to pull back some of those SP's and place them deeper into Russia. 2 at Len, 2 at Stal, 3 at Moscow for example and reduce or even remove many near Berlin.

-MrQuiet
a511

Post by a511 »

Hi,

While Im fine with:
"place them deeper into Russia. 2 at Len, 2 at Stal, 3 at Moscow for example"

However, Im not sure about:
"reduce or even remove many near Berlin"

Imo, it will greatly reduce the incentive for the RUS to move further to the west.

While i dont know whether thats modable, i think it would be great if we can make certain "RUS only VPs", in particular, those near Berlin and rebalance the no. of VPs so as not to give RUS more reasons to go west and make it possible for either RUS/WA to win WWIII.

a511
Petiloup

Post by Petiloup »

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

Notice the new tank in France. It will provide a nice CAM bonus if Germany makes deployment mistakes. Also prevents CAM on the Maginot Line.

The part to prevent CAM on Maginot Line is historically correct but the French or British army didn't have any intention to use Tanks in the Blitzkrieg way. The tanks they had were build as Infantry support and could be used to spearhead an attack as well but that tactic was nowhere into the Allied HQ war manual till later. Even in Africa it took time for the British to adapt to Rommel tactics and their tanks did suffer losses after losses because Combined Arms tactics were still not up to date.

Would suggest a house rule preventing that Tank unit to be used in an attack against Germany to achieve CAM. Against TLC yes as it could represent the Allied counterattack at Arras but was unsuccessfull as too few too late and the mighty German 88mm did outstanding results against those tanks.
Petiloup

Post by Petiloup »

B. The Madagascar event will trigger after Japan attacks the UN. It will create 2 Militia and 5 supply. This event was created to reflect Madagascar's willingness to resupply Jap subs, which forced the UN to respond by invading Madagascar to prevent that. Look up "the Battle of Madagascar" or "Operation Ironclad" for more details.

I think this is way out of proportion to the historical event. The strategic risk was there indeed but in terms of troops number this had no impact on any theater.

In Wikepedia you can have an idea of the force in presence:

British: 10,000-15,000 (land forces) 107 killed in action; 280 wounded and for Vichy: 8,000 (land forces) of whom about 6,000 were Madagascan 150 killed in action; 500 wounded.

2 MIL for that number of troops is way too much considering that 1 Italian MIL in East Africa represents 250,000-280,000 man equipped with about 3,300 machine guns, 24 medium tanks, a large number of tankettes (turret-less, two-man machine-gun carriers), 126 armored cars and trucks, and 813 pieces of artillery.

At worst I would create an independant Madagascar with no troops to force the British to spend supplies to "conquer" the region.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

ORIGINAL: Polonthi

Notice the new tank in France. It will provide a nice CAM bonus if Germany makes deployment mistakes. Also prevents CAM on the Maginot Line.

The part to prevent CAM on Maginot Line is historically correct but the French or British army didn't have any intention to use Tanks in the Blitzkrieg way. The tanks they had were build as Infantry support and could be used to spearhead an attack as well but that tactic was nowhere into the Allied HQ war manual till later. Even in Africa it took time for the British to adapt to Rommel tactics and their tanks did suffer losses after losses because Combined Arms tactics were still not up to date.

Would suggest a house rule preventing that Tank unit to be used in an attack against Germany to achieve CAM. Against TLC yes as it could represent the Allied counterattack at Arras but was unsuccessfull as too few too late and the mighty German 88mm did outstanding results against those tanks.

It would be unnecessary to add a house rule under normal circumstances because good play would make it pointless. I'm not sure if you even played the new scenario or are just responding to the topics in the readme above. First impressions one may have is that the addition of a French tank would throw everything off. Maybe your thinking I removed 1 or 2 of the 14 starting French Inf and replaced them with a tank. That would create a problem for Germany. But in my new scenario France starts with much less and has to build up each turn. That tank will not lead to a super counterattack as you might envision, unless Germany is played by a rookie. Under most cases this tank will end up being used defensively and the only time it seems logical to me to use it offensively is when/if Germany takes TLC in the Fall. And if that is the case, Germany will only suffer a counterattack CAM bonus if he makes deployment mistakes. I don't want to have to spell this out because I wanted this kind of stuff to be discovered while playing.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

ORIGINAL: Polonthi

I think this is way out of proportion to the historical event. The strategic risk was there indeed but in terms of troops number this had no impact on any theater.

In Wikepedia you can have an idea of the force in presence:

British: 10,000-15,000 (land forces) 107 killed in action; 280 wounded and for Vichy: 8,000 (land forces) of whom about 6,000 were Madagascan 150 killed in action; 500 wounded.

2 MIL for that number of troops is way too much considering that 1 Italian MIL in East Africa represents 250,000-280,000 man equipped with about 3,300 machine guns, 24 medium tanks, a large number of tankettes (turret-less, two-man machine-gun carriers), 126 armored cars and trucks, and 813 pieces of artillery.

At worst I would create an independant Madagascar with no troops to force the British to spend supplies to "conquer" the region.
I know there was not a lot of troops involved, but it certainly took some time to get Madagascar under control. I want that hassle to be reflected. I tried 1 Mil at first and found it to easy for the UN. I tried making Madagascar a neutral nation but had problems with a flag error, and in making it turn Jap so its supply could be used by Jap subs in the Indian ocean. After all that was the point. In the end, I settled with 2 Mil so the UN has to commit 2 Inf to the assault. It gives a little offensive fun for the Allies at a point in the game when they usually have none. In game terms, the overall feel in Allied effort to reclaim Madagascar just feels right.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

Using new Abomb win conditions. When Japan's at 5VP's or less, surrender will trigger when A-bomb is dropped on a populated region that turn.

Just to be clear, the "a-bomb dropped" part of the rule change only works with the upcoming patch. It will not work with the v1.011 executable.

There is a playtest version I've sent to 4 people with the rule change, and it is being played, but I am afraid that it is not publicly available yet. I hope to wrap up the code changes for the next patch soon and start the process of pushing it out as a beta.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Here is Europe with the new sea zones off of France. Notice the new tank in France. It will provide a nice CAM bonus if Germany makes deployment mistakes. Also prevents CAM on the Maginot Line.

Hi Jesse when you move aircraft with a speed of two from Western France you're able to reach the Irish Sea, when you should have a speed of three to do that. Please check out.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Thanks for reporting any mistakes you find but I already pointed that out. In the last few sentences of the readme above I mention the map error I made to the English Channel. I plan on redoing the graphics so it shows a 1MP border there.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Since the new A-bomb rule is not working yet for those using 1.011, I suggest you house rule the ending until Brian gets the new beta out.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

A new suppression formula is being tried. I got rid of the random divisor and used a fixed divisor of 2. With the higher average results that are now possible, I compensated by upping the damage threshold. It used to be 500% of duru, now it's 1000%. When it used to take 15 or 20 suppression to damage, it's now 30 or 40 depending on dura of unit. From what I seen so far I kind of like it this way. It makes upgrades worthwhile again since the extra die will only be divided by 2.

This looks nice. I especially like that it makes the "suppression" effect key without making "damage" events overwhelming. I also really like that the /2 is exactly matching the 2x on the modifiers, so interpreting the modifiers is easy.

I was thinking, the problem now is that evasion can't help defend against suppression. So I'm putting more evasion hooks into the engine.

One thing that is _really_ needed is to remove the prior suppression bonus for suppression rolls (i.e. don't add a "suppression bonus" to suppression rolls, only add the "suppression bonus" to non-suppression rolls). Right now, cumulative suppresion tends to increase quadratically with number of attacks (as n^2 for n attacks) instead of linearly with number of attacks.

E.g. assuming that each die roll is 16, and your fixed divisor is used, and the suppression is always half of the prior cumulative suppression. Then

suppression = 0+16/2 = 8
suppression = 8+ (16(rolled)+2(doubleup)*8(priorsuppression)/2(divbytwo))/2 = 8+12 = 20
suppression = 20+ (16 +2*20/2)/2 = 20+18 = 38
suppression = 38 + (16+2*38/2)/2 = 38+27 = 65

The later suppression adders are dominated by the prior suppression, it doesn't even matter what the attack roll is. It could be zero and suppression would keep increasing. It really doesn't make sense, and it is what really makes it easy to use fighters to finish off heavily suppressed infantry.

What I am thinking is this: why not remove the prior suppression bonus (that is possible in the files today), keep your fixed fivide-by-two, and make the damage threshold evasion*durability (I'd need to add this feature for suppresion)?

It would make things consistent again! With the div-by-two in suppression rolls, it wouldn't really be possible to keep up with evasion tech, but cumulative suppression is still working for you, and more important suppression is supposed to be complimentary with other attacks, it is not supposed to be working on its own anyway.

For this to work, the artillery LA has to be reduced from the sky high values it attained when trying to give it value ... actually, since artillery fires twice and suppression accumulates artillery LA would keep up with evasion.
ezto

Post by ezto »

ok, i just installed this to my awd directory, but I also want to see the other campaigns, such as total war etc... How do I revert to my old main menu ingame?
ezto

Post by ezto »

please can someone help me?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”