OT: a question for the jarheads

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

rogueusmc

RE: OT: a question for the jarheads

Post by rogueusmc »

One of the craziest things is...

Don Knotts is, to this day, considered one of the most feared DIs to walk MCRD Sandiego.

I'd believe it too...imagine standing at the POA next to your footlocker and this little guy steps in front of you and starts wigging out like he does...it'd scare the s$%t outta me...[:D]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Lovely lovely ludwig van, my Droogie.

I've seen that pic prolly 100 times.

Saw the baltimore symphony perform the glorious 9th a week ago, and was thinking of lil alex the whole time.[;)]
Fear the kitten!
grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

I would like to note I was in one of the last series to train with the M-14. It really p*ssed me off to see the platoons a few weeks behind us doing up and arm shoulders with M-16s.
[:D][:D]
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Yeah, Don Knotts would creep me out for sure....he was for real a DI?

Uh, BTW: Hijacked!![:D]
Fear the kitten!
grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

One of the craziest things is...

Don Knotts is, to this day, considered one of the most feared DIs to walk MCRD Sandiego.

I'd believe it too...imagine standing at the POA next to your footlocker and this little guy steps in front of you and starts wigging out like he does...it'd scare the s$%t outta me...[:D]

Don knotts? I didn't know that.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

yep...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

I would like to note I was in one of the last series to train with the M-14. It really p*ssed me off to see the platoons a few weeks behind us doing up and arm shoulders with M-16s.
[:D][:D]
Dad was in the 'Nam when they took their M-14s from them and handed them the M-16s...they came off their first patrol with it and they all threw them in a pile and said they wanted thier '14s back.

Coach Z

Post by Coach Z »

Remember Lee Emery the DI in Full Metal Jacket was a Marine Gunnery Sargent.

Ah in Army Officer School I kind of liked my DI he was mean as shirt (-r) but actually a VERY good teacher.
I cracked him up once when he got in my face and said "Boy, dont you know what I meant when I gave that I order!!" and I honestly and strangely confidently answered "No Drill Sargent! I honestly have no idea what you wanted me to do!"
He stepped back looked at me funny for a second, then taught me and the whole platoon what to do. Of course he then THREATENED to kill me if I ever f#%ked the same thing  up again!

ZUCK
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Excellent; it seems being clueless will work anyplace once.[;)]
Fear the kitten!
grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

ORIGINAL: Coach Z

Remember Lee Emery the DI in Full Metal Jacket was a Marine Gunnery Sargent.

Ah in Army Officer School I kind of liked my DI he was mean as shirt (-r) but actually a VERY good teacher.
I cracked him up once when he got in my face and said "Boy, dont you know what I meant when I gave that I order!!" and I honestly and strangely confidently answered "No Drill Sargent! I honestly have no idea what you wanted me to do!"
He stepped back looked at me funny for a second, then taught me and the whole platoon what to do. Of course he then THREATENED to kill me if I ever f#%ked the same thing  up again!

You mean while you had something in your eye, you got away with calling the DI a female sheep?
grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

I found this during a search and got many results like it.

A false fact that has been written in several Marine Corps books is that Don Knotts was a Drill Instructor in the United States Marine Corps. Don does not know how this rumor got stated. It embarrasses him because; he does not think he could have made it through Marine Corps booth camp. For the record he would like people to know that he did service this country but not with the Marines. When he was 19 he joined the army. This is when he got his start in show business. His duties consisted of entertaining the troops. He was in traveling GI variety shows called "Stars and Gripes."

It would have pretty cool though.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

R Lee Ermey (now seen regularly on the history channel) after medical discharge (bad back I think?) used his GI Bill to study acting in the Phillipines as I vaguely recall it. I thought he auditioned for the role and was selected, but maybe he did replace someone who flubbed it.

I loved the episode of his TV show where he got to drive a LAV into a river and out again. He seemed to be really enjoying himself.
"I am Alfred"
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

And he seems to be doing well out of it:

http://www.rleeermey.com/introindex.php
"I am Alfred"
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Irrelevant is right:

"Former U.S. Marine Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey was originally hired to give Tim Colceri, who was originally hired to play Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, the basics of giving a realistic performance as a Marine Drill Instructor. He performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for fifteen minutes without stopping, repeating himself, or even flinching, despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman instead and cast Colceri as the Doorgunner"
"I am Alfred"
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Oh man, I'll never forget that DI gettng on the bus and using every 4 letter word in the book to get us on those yellow footprints. I stil remember the date, July 9th, 1985! [X(]
I had dreams for YEARS after that of being dragged back to bootcamp and serving another 4 years.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

When I was at boot camp in San Diego in 1973 I could see across the fence in the airport some world war II vintage Japanese aircraft. My memory tells me there was more than one of these aircraft. Does anyone remember these airplanes? What model aircraft were they and what happened to them?

Back to the original question, did these aircraft look flyable? If so, they were probably the American trainers modified for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora. I don't know the complete history of those aircraft, but I know they bounced around a bit and ended up with the Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative Air Force). They still fly the airshow circuit.

If they were in decrepit condition, I'm not sure what they were. A number of Japanese aircraft were evaluated after the war, but a large number were scrapped afterwards. The few that survived were in museum collections by the 1970s. The only Kikka (looks like an Me-262) and the only Shusui (Japanese Me-163 Komet) were in the Planes of Fame in Ontario, CA at that point. Or it may have been Chino. The museum moved at some point in the early 70s. But neither of those locations is anywhere near Pendelton.

BTW, what's TTL? I'm a bit lost on that one.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

I have trouble remembering the name of my next-door neighbor. So how come I have no problem remembering my CC MS2 Sensero and I was in Company 212? Wierd how the memory is. Reading about boot-camp and those yellow foot-prints brought back a flood of memories. Ah to be young again, not this squid. hehe. I tell my wife all the time that I never want to be 18 again! But then again, if I had the knowledge that I do now...

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

True To Life
Fear the kitten!
grumpyman

Post by grumpyman »

When I was at boot camp in San Diego in 1973 I could see across the fence in the airport some world war II vintage Japanese aircraft. My memory tells me there was more than one of these aircraft. Does anyone remember these airplanes? What model aircraft were they and what happened to them?

Back to the original question, did these aircraft look flyable? If so, they were probably the American trainers modified for the movie Tora, Tora, Tora. I don't know the complete history of those aircraft, but I know they bounced around a bit and ended up with the Confederate Air Force (now Commemorative Air Force). They still fly the airshow circuit.

If they were in decrepit condition, I'm not sure what they were. A number of Japanese aircraft were evaluated after the war, but a large number were scrapped afterwards. The few that survived were in museum collections by the 1970s. The only Kikka (looks like an Me-262) and the only Shusui (Japanese Me-163 Komet) were in the Planes of Fame in Ontario, CA at that point. Or it may have been Chino. The museum moved at some point in the early 70s. But neither of those locations is anywhere near Pendelton.

Bill

They looked flyable. I have been looking on the net (why I don't know, its not that important). The Tora Tora Tora explanation sounds plausable.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Bill

They looked flyable. I have been looking on the net (why I don't know, its not that important). The Tora Tora Tora explanation sounds plausable.
I don't know about that...I was running chest high into the coffee table in 1973...[:D]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”