Producing Legendary Units

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: Gil R.

Mus

Producing Legendary Units

Post by Mus »

I only seem to get Legendary Units from Musters. If I Produce a unit, infantry, cavalry or artillery, it never is created as a legendary unit.

How do I create Legendary Cavalry and Artillery? This doesnt seem to be working properly. I tested with a saved game and built some cavalry and artillery units looking to try to get some but after 10 reloads they all came out as normal numbered units. I was building Artillery out of Richmond and Norfolk, Cavalry out of Richmond and Lynchburg (built a barracks there especially for the purpose).

What gives?

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Gil R.

RE: Producing Legendary Units

Post by Gil R. »

This is the first report I've seen of LU's not appearing among purchased units. Has anyone ever received an LU through producing a unit (i.e., not mustering, and not starting off with it)?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

unless it is something very new

I was able to get LU when I built units (I do not muster or conspripped Troops other then when it was part of being tested)

to be honest, it may just be the luck of the roll

plus, I am not sure, but when is the unit set ? at the start of the build or when it is built ? if at the start the unit you are reloading for, has already been set to be a normal unit, if it is when it is built, you may be getting bad rolls (or as it is a reload, the random number may already been set and is staying the same)

my games as the Union, I was nameing my troops based on the state they came from (1st NY, 2nd Ohio) and I would have  LUs pop up to  screw with my nameing pattern and as the  Union I build all of my troops

Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

to be honest, it may just be the luck of the roll

plus, I am not sure, but when is the unit set ? at the start of the build or when it is built ? if at the start the unit you are reloading for, has already been set to be a normal unit, if it is when it is built, you may be getting bad rolls (or as it is a reload, the random number may already been set and is staying the same)

Yeah thats what I was wondering. When the "roll" was taking place and what exactly the chance was. I can find out if its working either way, as long as I know what the chance is.

Building things in Virginia should be a safe bet since theres a bunch of "0" province LUs out of Virginia right?

Rockbridge Artillery and Richmond Howitzers should have a certain chance of popping up if I build an artillery unit in Richmond? What chance? And when is the "roll" happening?

I have a savegame with 300 money and another with 1 turn to go on Artillery unit and 2 on another so either way I can reload until I get one.

Let me know.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I can't remember the exact percentage, and can't ask Eric (who's away). I think it was around 10% or so.

Virginia's the best place to test this. Though I just found that some LU's are assigned to province 78, Fredericksburg, which has no city (though I guess originally it was going to). So, you might want to mod that file by getting rid of those 78's (as I'll do for the next patch).
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Mus

Post by Mus »

Yeah, also Stonewall Brigade is assigned to 77 Shenandoah. There might be a bunch in other states assigned incorrectly.

But when does the "roll" take place? When you first produce or when the unit appears?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I have no idea. We'll have to wait for Eric on this one.
Mus

Post by Mus »

OK. Just to confirm I found a bunch more LUs with provinces set to provinces that arent cities. Why arent they all just done by State as many are?

I did a couple more tries all the way from the beginning with building artillery and cavalry.

Built one artillery in Richmond, one in Norfolk. Built one cavalry in Arkansas River and one in Richmond.

Should have had a chance theoretically to get a LU with all of those. Didnt happen.

Ran that three times. No LUs from producing. Then I mustered in Georgia and Arkansas. Immediately got Yell Rifles in Arkansas River and Ogelthorpe Rifles in Atlanta.
Mus

Post by Mus »

Another followup.  I changed SpecialUnitPercentage 25 to 100 and ran the test again.  Still no produced cavalry and artillery LUs.  Did another muster and got a bunch of infantry LUs.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

That's not enough of a sampling to be sure. What you ought to do, so that you can test more quickly, is mod the ACWUnits file so that cavalry, artillery and infantry take just one turn (changing the "Time" column), and lower their prices to, say, 10 money/horses/iron/etc. so that you don't have to save up lots of money. (If you don't know how to mod the file let me know and I'll post one.) By making these changes you can purchase several dozen units in a short time.

Also, your results might be meaningless if you produced units from a certain point in your game and then went to that point to try again by reloading the save-file. I vaguely recall Eric telling me that random numbers are generated at the start of a game (or turn?), so if you try to purchase the same unit in the same place using the same save-files you might get the same result because the random-number seed (or whatever it's called) is the same. The only way to be certain is to purchase units over and over
Mus

Post by Mus »

OK I changed SpecialUnitPercentage 25 to 100 and made the changes you suggested to the cost and time factors in the Unit file.

Started a new game using these new numbers and still got no cavalry or artillery LUs. Ran it a few times and ended up getting about a dozen numbered artillery and cavalry units in Richmond and Norfolk each time before they ran out of population.

Something isnt working right with produced LUs. LUs are firing fine for musters.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Huh. I didn't know that SpecialUnitPercentage is a constant. Okay, it looks like you're on to something here. I'm moving this thread to Support so that Eric sees it as soon as he's back from camping. (Well, after he's hosed himself off, that is.)

Thanks for pointing this out, and for all the legwork.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I think your just having bad luck

H2H game, doing nothing but some troop builds

will say, so far all of my Union Inf is normal, but my first CSA Cav unit is a LU

Attachments
LU.jpg
LU.jpg (192.47 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

first CSA Arty built

Attachments
lu1.jpg
lu1.jpg (174.66 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

and

Attachments
lu2.jpg
lu2.jpg (171.06 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well not the greatest recuiting drive, but did well enough

Attachments
lu3.jpg
lu3.jpg (175.05 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Mus

Post by Mus »

Is that with the newest version? I ran the tests outlined 3 times in a row and ended up with around a dozen numbered artillery and cavalry brigades before Richmond and Norfolk ran out of population.

Maybe an intermediate patch has files in it that my game lacks going straight from release to the newest patch?

Have to add "luck" cant have anything to do with it since I changed the chance of getting a LU from 25% to 100%.

That should be making a LU with every build, but its not working.
Mus

Post by Mus »

Another followup.

Hard Sarge, could you (hopefully) confirm that you are playing with No Starting Legendary Units option unchecked? I was playing with it checked. Repeating my tests with it unchecked I was getting LUs through producing without fail until I ran out of eligible LUs in the Richmond/Norfolk Area. I got Rockbridge Artillery, Laurel Brigade and Something or other Comanches on my first try.

My guess now is that checking No Starting Legendary Units breaks the mechanism that brings LUs into the game through production, which it should not be doing. It should just be preventing them at startup other than the ones written into the scenario, not completely preventing them through production as its currently doing. Its odd that it doesnt effect the way they come in through muster.

Hope this can get fixed in the patch.

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

unchecked
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Huh. Fascinating. You (Mus) may well be right that it's linked to that option. We'll have to see what Eric says.

Return to “Forge of Freedom - Support”