OOB/TO&E?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Jarhead0331

OOB/TO&E?

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Anywhere I can see the OOB and/or TO&E that will be included in the game...preferably broken down by nationality with a listing of historical units.

Yes, I'm looking for the Marines that participated in Belleau Wood!
de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
SMK-at-work

RE: OOB/TO&E?

Post by SMK-at-work »

I'm pretty sure all US units are essentialy the same as each other - I didnt' get as far as using the US more than once or twice - I should probably fire up the last beta and have a look at the 1918 scenario but I think it might have expired...
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I am guessing that the Marines will be lost in the Corps sized units. Which reminds me; in the boardgame GOA, USA units were Divisional sized, since the US had such large units. Are the USA units Divisions in the upcoming game? In any case, I don't think there will be an American unit counter with Marines listed on it.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Jarhead0331

Post by Jarhead0331 »

[:-]
de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Sorry Jarhead, but I am afraid the Marines will get lost in the shuffle of the hordes of Army recruits that swarm into France. I believe that the Marines were incorporated into the 1st Division, so just keep track of that and there you will find your beloved Marines. I'm not sure which Corps the 1st Division was in, but if American units are Corps sized, keep track of that Corps. I'm guessing the 1st Corps, but I imagine that you know for sure. I think the Marine Corps only amounted to 8-10 thousand members at war start, which would only amount to approximately a third of a US Division. Not sure how much it expanded during the war.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I have a vague memory that US "corps" are huge - 32 pts, reflecting the larger unit size.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Dirtdog20

Post by Dirtdog20 »

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Sorry Jarhead, but I am afraid the Marines will get lost in the shuffle of the hordes of Army recruits that swarm into France. I believe that the Marines were incorporated into the 1st Division, so just keep track of that and there you will find your beloved Marines. I'm not sure which Corps the 1st Division was in, but if American units are Corps sized, keep track of that Corps. I'm guessing the 1st Corps, but I imagine that you know for sure. I think the Marine Corps only amounted to 8-10 thousand members at war start, which would only amount to approximately a third of a US Division. Not sure how much it expanded during the war.

The Marines made up half of the Second Division of Infantry. Which at the end of the war was commanded by Major General J. Lejune USMC. (The Army is still po'ed about that.) The 5th and 6th Marine Infantry Regiments along with Machine Gun Bn. numbered the same made up the Marine compliment of the division.

Just a hint, look at the 5th Marines at Mont Blanc. 90% Casualties and had to wait two days for the Army and French to catch up with them. John Thompson, Cpt. USMC wrote an excellent book by the title "Fix Bayonets" about his experiences in the war. It can be found relatively easy still and is well worth the price and time to get a copy.
You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I'd also recommend "Devil Dogs" for a good account of the Marines in WWI:

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Dogs-Fighti ... 962&sr=1-2
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Hey Dirtdog, what Corps was the 2nd Division in? That will be the one that Jarhead needs to keep track of.
Dirtdog20

Post by Dirtdog20 »

I an going to assume that the game will call it 1st Corps. Although until mid 18 there was just the AEF.

Also "Suddenly We Didn't Want To Die" is another excellent read. Now if only someone could get the rights and re-publish "So Far From God". Vanderbilt University has a copy in the rare book section. I cant get near it though.
You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”