Vista compatibility ? Because, well, ...

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

Stromb

Vista compatibility ? Because, well, ...

Post by Stromb »

When i launch the game, mouse is barely moving and interface is barely visible (depends when mouse hover above it).

I've seen nowhere that the game would not run under Vista and yes, i've all last driver version.

I've tried with 1.02 patch, it changes nothing (it seems even worse).

Any idea, hints, comments (apart from Vista beeing ...) ?
Erik Rutins

RE: Vista compatibility ? Because, well, ...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Vista is not an officially supported OS for any of our games yet, as noted in each game's system requirements. We're in the process of checking all games in Vista and I expect that we'll be addressing any incompatibilities, but right now my best suggestion would be to update your drivers and try running it in XP compatibility mode.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
alexs

Post by alexs »

I would also add that you should run the game in administrator mode to ensure no privelidge problems.

Alex
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Vista is not an officially supported OS for any of our games yet, as noted in each game's system requirements.

My mistake, i miss that point. In my case, if that may help you, main problem is the mouse (Logitech). And yes i've updated all drivers to last version and tried compatibility / admin privilege options, without success. To leave the game, i must alt-tab, which seems to make it crash by the way ...

I hope i'll find a way to dual boot (and guess what MS Virtual PC 2007 bugs with Vista ...) my PC 'cause i don't want to go back to XP even if this damned last version of Windows is a nightmare for games.

Well, thx for your answers. Let's hope you may find a workaround soon for your products.
cesteman

Post by cesteman »

Strange, I read on the SSI site that several people were using Vista and had no problems or issues with running the game. Maybe checking the SSI site might help, or contacting them on that site might help you to solve your problem. Hope this helps.
Christian
mgarnett

Post by mgarnett »

Hi all,

I am running Battlefront in Vista with no problems as well.  I am also running the following Matrix games also without any problems.

Battles in Italy
Crown of Glory
Forge of Freedom
War in the Pacific
World at War
Tin Soldiers: Julius Ceasar
Birth of America
Harpoon 3 ANW
Highway to the Reich
Conquest of the Agean

Cheers

Mark

Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

@ cesteman : SSI site ?

As for games on Vista, i've not tried other Matrix games so far, but i'm currently toying with several other kind of games. Usually, i have serious trouble, and from what i've read in many forums, it's really a question of hardware and options selected (when available) in each game configuration ...
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I think he means SSG's forum

http://ssg.com.au/forums
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
cesteman

Post by cesteman »

Sorry, typo. I meant SSG[>:]
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

ok, that's what i was guessing... :-)

Any idea of a time frame for Vista support ? (I've been able to rebuild a XP rig thus avoiding potential dual booting trouble over a previous Vista install)

For Battlefront :
=> Soon (weeks)
=> Soon (months)
=> Never !

For other Matrix Games :
idem than above

Wallenstein

Post by Wallenstein »

Well, as several people had the luck to get Battlefront running under Vista it is more likely that your problems are driver related.
From my troubles with other games games under Vista I can give only vague advice with BF as I had the luck to get it up running without problems...but try to run the game with deactivated audio device, different video drivers and/or plug in another mouse.
Even if it doesnt´t work out, it might help you to get closer to the core of the problem...
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

the SSG forums have not had a single Vista related bug report from a user as far as I can see - and one of the Battlefront testers has been using Vista for some time and has not reported any issues.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

Considering that i've checked and updated my drivers a good week ago with all last versions, then i don't see what i can do more but waiting ...

That said, in a way, i'm happy to be the only one having trouble with Battlefront on Vista but ... the fact that Matrix Games does not officially support Vista hints that they expect troubles, and the lack of user complaining either here or on SSG forums doesn't implies that there is no users victims of this problem ... Wargamer being what they are (that is cautious amongst others things), i suspect that just a few of them had switch their game station on a new OS. So the probability of bugs showing is less important. By the way, i've made this choice knowing it'll be a source of trouble, but not to this point as problem with games are rising as i install more of them, even if recently it seems to stabilize.

Anyway, as even when it's supported you're unsure of the result, i still dream of a day where installing a software on a computer won't be like playing lottery. I know that 20 years is still young for any kind of technology, but in this area, the consumer are "paying" a lot for the troubles.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We're not supporting it officially yet only because it takes time to check all our games on it. We don't want to announce official support for any title until it's been confirmed by us to work fine on Vista and we've decided to finish testing all titles before rolling out Vista support. We wanted to wait for the actual released version to do this and frankly for some hardware combinations even that was a bit early as drivers are still catching up.

I can say however, that the testing so far has revealed no significant issues that can't easily be resolved with the existing Vista configuration options, so I would anticipate that very few if any games will need changes to run on Vista.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

Hi

I found what was the problem; had some kind of flash before sleeping and tested it right now, it's because SLI was enabled (so it's definitely an issue with last 158.18 Nvidia drivers).

Hope this will helps you, or anybody even encoutering this problem. And thank you for your feedback.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks, yep that is a known issue with those drivers - I think nVidia has already posted some beta drivers that fix that.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

For 158.18, as i understand the situation, it's better for SLI users, but not complete ... Last Nvidia beta drivers i tested were bringing me more trouble than solving problems ... I know there's 158.24 out there, but i won't try them as currently my main computer is behaving rather well (apart for Battlefront, which i shall continue to explore on my old rig).
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

Just to let you know, with 160.03 beta driver (from Guru 3D), it seems to works nearly normally (experienced no interface just once, at 2nd launch - at first launch there was no trouble ; and this time moving the mouse would reveal buttons, thus allowing to start game for instance). I've not tried with 158.24 though.
Stromb

Post by Stromb »

Even if i'm perhaps the only one concerned, let's add that with beta 162.22 the game menu seems to behave normally so far (tried twice).

Return to “Battlefront”