AAR Opening Moves (Nato)

Post reports of your decisive victories and infamous defeats here to share with other wargamers.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Stregg

AAR Opening Moves (Nato)

Post by Stregg »

Just a quick intro of myself, I am a long time Harpoon classis and Harpoon 2 player. I just purchased Harpoon 3 and this was my first scenario I played. I am not a writer and so I may not have the best grammar in the world. Just writing a quick AAR to express my tactics and opinions.

---------------------------------------

Scenario starts..

Check my forces, Tornado fighters and attack craft, F-16 blk 25 aircraft, 3 EC-2 Hawkeyes (yes!!). 4 german desiel electric subs with torpedos, 3 small surface groups (nothing bigger than an ffg). Mission goal to sink amphibs.. not a problem.

Send up hawkeye and turn radar on, lots and lots of contacts. Aircraft in the air moving west, lots of surface ships, plus there is an airfield with unknown number of aircraft.

My plan is not unusual, establish air superiority, knock out the fixed bases, then start hitting the enemy ships.

I get some aircraft up with AA loadouts. It looks like this will be a come as you are party, the bases dont show any reloads besides minimal. My cap gets near and identifies some Fulcrums which must be unarmed as I am clearly in range of them. They are heading west toward Copenhagen and the surface group there, time to weapons free. I down some of the aircraft as as they get close to the surface fleet, my ships start firing sams. It is right them that I see aircraft taking off from the enemy base and heading toward me, not good as my aircraft are out of the long range missles. I lose a couple f-16s trying to get them close to use their Aim-9's. Finally it is my turn and they enemy gets whats coming to them. The skys are now clear except for some loitering enemy aircraft to the east map edge and some very slow moving inbounds which soon get identified as May's and get splashed by my CAP remnant. I better get busy closing down the airbase as I dont know how many aircraft are there.

4 F-16s head in but get chased away by an enemy ship firing sa-6 grumbles, not good.. not real eager to deal with a slava or kirov right now. Luckily it gets identified as a modified Kara and only mounts 32 sa-6's. As I would probably lose the f-16's trying to bomb airfield, I loiter them and launch some Tornado's with SEAD loadout to knowck back the Kara's radars a bit. 16 harm missles later has the kara with out air search or missle guidance radars. In go the F-16's and they destroy the runway and ammo dump before they hit bingo fuel.So much for airfield threats, time to kill some warships.

Using my Tornado's with SEAD and Komoran loadouts, 2 sovernemys, 1 Udaloy slips below the waves, 2 other sovernemys lose some of their radars. I was very disapointed in my Komorrans, they are very susceptable to jamming and rarely hit once the ship hit the ecm. Oh well, time to get busy with the subs as all standoff munitions have been used on my aircraft with the exception of some AA loadouts.

Using the 4 subs, I sank a majority of the of the remaining warships and a good number of the amphibs without a sub loss. I moved in my surface groups, using their exocets and harpoons to cause more havoc until I lose 2 patrol craft to torpedos I never detected. Finally, all ships enemy ships are down, but no victory... I leave the game running for a while and finally it ends but says I did not meet victory conditions.. excuse me!! It said I needed to have ships stationed somewhere but that was not in the mission orders. It would seem that the orders where lacking, oh well! I know I won :)

Good scenario, too bad about the ending. On to the next scenario in global conflicts 3 battleset.
TonyE

RE: AAR Opening Moves (Nato)

Post by TonyE »

Thanks for sharing Stregg, those torpedos that are never detected are rough, perhaps even more demoralizing is when you detect the torps but can't find the launching sub despite excellent effort!

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Return to “After Action Reports”