H3 ANW or Commander's Ed?

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Macca

H3 ANW or Commander's Ed?

Post by Macca »

Hi there

I got interested in the Harpoon games from what I've read so far about it. I'm willing to buy it but have a question - should I go for the Commander's Edition when it is avaliable (when..?) or the Advanced Naval Warfare would be a good go? Is the CE supposed to be the very ultimate one, containing stuff from the ANW as well?

best regards

Maciej
Dimitris

RE: H3 ANW or Commander's Ed?

Post by Dimitris »

No, they are two distinctly different product lines.

To get a feel of their differences, look here for a comparison of their respective predeccesors:
http://www.harpoonhq.com/?page_id=2
BurntFingers

Post by BurntFingers »

ORIGINAL: Macca

Is the CE supposed to be the very ultimate one, containing stuff from the ANW as well?
Maciej

Other way around. Harpoon 3 is ongoing re-writes of Harpoon 2 (which was released incomplete). ANW still isn't 100% but it's miles ahead of where Harpoon 2 ever was.

Commander's edition is a re-release of the Classic Harpoon but with all the optional scenarios and datasets included. It's a very good introduction, I played it for many hours back in the 90s but you get bored of the simplicity of it. Oh, no multiplayer option either. Probably why people get bored of it - it's too easy to beat up the AI (artificial intelligence) player.
I don't work here. I just collect the glasses to get a beer quicker.
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

ANW still isn't 100% but it's miles ahead of where Harpoon 2 ever was.

probably the best description of Harpoon ANW that I have heard of yet! And its getting better!
But By Grace Go I.......
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Actually that HHQ page is a complete farce, they like to ignore any Harpoon Classic version since Harpoon Classic 97.  The game has come a long way since then.  But that's digressing.  The ideal thing is to get them both :).  Since there have been two (Winharp and H2) that's what myself and many others have done.  I'm more a HC person than a H3 person but I still test and play them both.

A more HC centric post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1512266

Screenshots... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1507350

Here's hoping we're allowed to distribute demos of the current products some day :)

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Macca

Post by Macca »

Thanks for your replies. So if you were to advice - should I wait for the CE or get the ANW one? I assume that ANW is more realistic and in-depth compared to HCCE, right?

Maciej
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

More realistic, impossible to tell, generally more in depth sensor models, yes (for H3ANW). 

Grab ANW now, grab HCE when it releases :).  You probably won't know your preference until you've played them both (hence my comment about demos some day, let's hope).  If you give more explanation of what you are looking for it will probably be easier to point you one way or another.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
Macca

Post by Macca »

;) Ok, I think I'll go ANW;) I'm not entirely sure what I want, but I know I want a good modern naval strategy. And I need to stop reading Red Storm Rising rot the x time....And I just wanna get only one game now, paying twice 46 Euros seems a bit much...

And yeah, demo would be nice, Id like to try it first...
regards

Maciej

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”