Sync question

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Yakface

Sync question

Post by Yakface »

Most of the time my PBEM has no problems, but about once every 2 or 3 months we get slightly out of sync for a day, then normal service is resumed. Does anyone else see the same thing and any ideas what the reason is?

Thanks
Oliver Heindorf

RE: Sync question

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

the search funktion in this forum using the phrase "sync" provides all you need to know [;)]
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

I have looked.  Nothing on this sort of very intermittent problem.
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

For a full explanation, it probably is best to search. The short answer seems to be that strafing of PT boats may cause a minor synch problem. I have also noticed a pattern in one of my PBEMs that suggests ASW combat can every once in a blue moon trigger the synch issue.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Yakface, I have seen this intermittent synch problem as well. Once in awhile a single replay is off from the received combat reports, but it hasn't continued into another turn as of yet. I'm keeping my eyes on it...
fair winds,
Brad
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Lots of things can cause the sync problem... memory problems esp., so the state of the player's computers (i.e. - last reboot time, background files running, etc.) can effect this.

i've gotten to where i always reboot my machine before running a turn - this has gotten me out of several SYNC issues... this clears out a lot of "trash" that accumulates in memory. Turn off any memory hogs in background as well, i.e. - don't run the turn if you have a periodic virus scan of your disk going on in the background.

if you want, i'll post the entire writeup i have on the sync issue.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Some also say that if you don't hit ESC or "Done" to skip combat animations, the sync bug is less likely to appear. Along these lines, some have developed a multi-step process to eliminate sync troubles. One recent thread outlining these steps:

tm.asp?m=1509045&mpage=1&key=sync&#1509213
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

That would be great RTpasso - thanks
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Here is my current standard writeup:

One thing that can at least reduce the frequency of the problem is to make absolutely sure you both are using the same EXE file ... you can compare byte count ... date time stamp (which will usually be adjusted by time zone) or even use a CRC utility, there are a number of easy downloadable ones.

As Allies (or Axis) - there are a couple of things you can do to try and prevent sync bug... it is related to the amount of memory you have.

SO - run the file from a (preferably cold) boot, ie - don't load anything else before you finish running the turn. Make sure you have any memory hogs in the background turned off (i had some problems with things like screensavers, esp things like SETI@HOME).

Set your virtual memory settings up to maximum.
Control panel -> System -> Advanced (tab) -> Perfomance (click on Settings button) ->
Advanced (tab) -> Virtual Memory (click on the Change button) -> select Custom Size and make the size as large as you can make it

This can SOMETIMES get rid of problems.

You can also ask your IJ opponent to not use the ESC key during replays - some people insist that this can cause (or intensify) the bug.

Actions with PT boats seem to also cause problems, esp. strafing PTs. One game i had would invariably start a replay problem when this happened.

Otherwise use the Pompack Patented Procedure to restore sync:

1. Japanese player, receives Allied turn.

2. Japanese player turns off COMBAT REPORTS

3. Japanese player watches combat, enters orders and sends to Allied Player. (Japanese player does without combat reports and SIGINT for one turn; take good notes during combat)

4 . Allied player watches replay with COMBAT REPORTS ON (AFAIK)

5. Allied player enters orders and sends to Japanese Player

6. Japanese Player receives allied turn, turns ON COMBAT REPORTS

7. Japanese player watches combat, enters orders and sends to Allied Player.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”