still on target for July?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Berkut

RE: still on target for July?

Post by Berkut »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

"Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning."

Describing WWI... or the Matrix offices? [:D] Bonus points if you can tell me, with such zest, what this is from.

SoM
An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;

From Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Based on Dave's condition, you might assume a gas attack, but fortunately Greg is now improving and the rest of us are pretty much well. I should have more info for you all on Monday.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

Awesome. I screwed my lappy up so I'm re-installing Windows this weekend. No games will be loaded though in preparation for this.

Bring it!!!!!!
Paper Tiger

Post by Paper Tiger »

Not another bug picked up at the last minute to delay the game.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Perish the thought! I am at such a peak of anticipation, that I fear for my mental health if there is any more delay.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
epicat

Post by epicat »

I wonder if they're waiting for an August release. Half the team getting sick at once, at Origins sounds kinda fishy.<g>

Epi
Epi
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

You think they might release The Guns of August in August?
&nbsp;
Who'd a thunk it....[8D]
&nbsp;
(and no I have no inside info!!)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

Just an FYI. I'll give the AI a few shots but I'm really looking forward to some PBEM matches against you guys. Anyone game for a serious beat-down?
epicat

Post by epicat »

Just joking.

Epi

Edit: Ooops...I didn't see the smiley.
Epi
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

Not having read the forum in depth, how similar is the game going to be to the board game?
Either way, I will definitely buy this one, but I was just wondering.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

It doesn't seem like it will be similar to the boardgame at all. It will be much more detailed. I guess the scale is about the only similarity. I have set up my old boardgame on a few occaisons in the last several months in anticipation. It sure as hell better be released before August. I am counting on mid/late week.

Bossy, yeah, I think this will make an excellent PBEM game. I plan to dive right in.
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

PBEM seems like it could be fun, unfortunately I am embroiled in three WitP games at the moment, so I will likely be an AI gamer for a bit. I loved the board game, playing it when I was in the Navy, but unfortunately I ran out of opponents quickly (they preferred Axis and Allies.) Sigh....

Thanks for the response.

Tho. Jackson
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I never could get anyone to play a game in highschool. We only really started one real multi-player game and that didn't last long. WWI just doesn't get any respect. I'm so tired of WWII that I can't force myself to even think about playing a game. I got TOAWIII when it was first released, and I never even considered playing a WWII secenario. GOA will be such a breath of fresh air.
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I understand about the Great War frustration. My Great Grandfather lived until 1978, and told me about the War in detail right before he died. I believe he knew he would be passing on soon, and wanted to share the mostly gory details before he died. I was twelve then, but remember it like it was yesterday, especially when he stood up from his rocker, dropped his trousers, and showed me the bullet scars in each thigh. He explained to me that the Germans set their machine guns to waist height, and that is what saved his life - he was 6'4" tall, and very thin even to his death. After hearing about the absolute Hell life in the War was like, when it came time for me to serve, I went into the Navy. In as many generations as I can count, I was the only one not to serve in the Army: US, Colonial, or Confederate. Thanks to him, I floated in the Persian Gulf rather than play in the sandbox in Desert Storm.

Interestingly, his wife's father (the fellow in my Avatar) was shot through the thigh also, but at Gettysburg while serving in the 4th AL. He also kept his leg, but was crippled the rest of his life.

Tho. Jackson
7th Somersets

Post by 7th Somersets »

AU Tiger,
&nbsp;
Do you know where your grandfather served?
&nbsp;
Mine was a machine-gunner on the Somme (British - Yorks and Lancs) - so not responsible for your relative's injuries [:)].
&nbsp;
Before that the relatives were in the old British Colonial wars in Africa (Natal Mounted Police - near Rorke's Drift and Kaffir Wars).
&nbsp;
Regards.
ejs6263

Post by ejs6263 »

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I never could get anyone to play a game in highschool. We only really started one real multi-player game and that didn't last long. WWI just doesn't get any respect. I'm so tired of WWII that I can't force myself to even think about playing a game. I got TOAWIII when it was first released, and I never even considered playing a WWII secenario. GOA will be such a breath of fresh air.
I don't think the issue with WWI is lack of respect as much as with the basic problem of capturing the trench warfare and attrition aspects of the conflict in a way that would both present the war realistically as well as hold the sim community's interest. Having been involved in the beta testing of this game I think Frank finally has captured the essence of the conflict in a way that will give the gamer insight into the strategic problems of the war while maintaining interest in the game itself. I never became bored with this game and actually found myself doing a little studying on the side because of questions the game posed.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

That sounds promising and only increases my anticipation. I can understand why most people are more attracted to the "sexiness" of the Blitzkrieg as opposed to the muddy and bloody hell of the trenches, but the war was so much more than the Western Front. But like you state, boardgames couldn't really portray the war very well. Hopefully, we hear some good news about GOA on this day.
7th Somersets

Post by 7th Somersets »

I agree with ejs - having beta'd the game for some time - I still look forward to playing it. I like the wide ranging options re the theatres of war as well as all of the other stuff. It is also great if you manage to get that breakthrough on the Western Front...
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Is there much of a chance for the TE to make a comeback if the Germans do manage to capture Paris in the first six months of the war?
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

My Grandfather was at Chateau Thierry. He was gassed and shot by a machinegun. When I was in college, he and I watched an old rerun of 'Sgt. York' together. There is a scene where the Germans are charging down a ridge. Grandpa was 84 or 85 at the time. He turned to me and said "I still hate those guys!".
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”