GGWAW Updated to version 1.011

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Alex Fiedler

GGWAW Updated to version 1.011

Post by Alex Fiedler »

New functionality and explanation for modders and plenty of rule tweaks and improvements round out a hefty new update

Matrix Games and 2by3 Games (www.2by3games.com) are proud to announce the release of another update for their popular World War II grand strategy game, Gary Grigsby’s World at War: A World Divided. The latest update brings several rule changes, a few interface improvements, and tons of new mod-ability improvements. Modders rejoice!

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Apart from a good helping of improvements and rule tweaks to improve upon A World Divided’s great gameplay, I’m particularly thrilled about the increased ability to modify the game. Matrix Games and 2by3 have always been enthusiastically in support of gamers who have such a passion for one of our products that they take the time to modify and improve upon what we have done. The latest update is definitely a step to make things easier for modders and we’re more than happy to do it.”

Gary Grigsby’s World at War: A World Divided is a dynamic, turn-based strategy game of World War II that puts you in the role of some of the most famous and infamous leaders in history. Four tutorials and three campaigns and five scenarios let you learn the system quickly and start fighting the whole war and beyond. Building off of the success of its award-winning successor, A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. As a bonus, it includes the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

See the link below to download the update. The file is a comprehensive update and will bring the game to version 1.011.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=330

GKar

RE: GGWAW Updated to version 1.011

Post by GKar »

Is this the complete changelog?
ORIGINAL: WanderingHead

1) Bug fix - overflow of lines in the Event Log caused random characters at the end of the line.
2) Bug fix - damaged “elite” units did not remain “vet” in the production queue.
3) Bug fix - factories in the production queue advanced even if no production was available.
4) Bug fix - the inability of Russian units to retreat into a frozen zone.
5) Bug fix - Russian units starting in a non-frozen zone were able to tactically move through frozen zones.
6) Bug fix - nonland units in Iraq when the coup occurred would not have been retreated.
7) Bug fix - a couple of load/save issues, with unknown symptoms (one was related to history, maybe it will fix history and replay related problems, but that is unknown).
8) Bug fix - a specific sequence of events could prevent the first Russian penalty from occurring.
9) Bug fix - the “Continue Game?” option did not work after an Axis AV.
10) GUI improvement - the Political Event screen is enhanced. Color coding of events is changed: RED can happen now (prerequisites are satisified), BLACK hasn't happened yet and can't happen right now (could happen later), GREY has already occurred and will not occur again. (Note black and grey are swapped from previously). There is now an explicit indication of the current probability of an event if it is dependent on region ownership (i.e. the Spanish coup).
11) GUI improvement - the Event Log size is increased from 250 lines to 400 lines.
12) Mod-ability improvement - There's a whole slew of new things that are possible in scenario design. The biggest is complete mod-ability of political events, which can actually provide a significant amount of control of the political situation (e.g. they support some basic surrender concepts, intended for [but not limited to] Russia, India and Australia). Effort was made to thoroughly comment the data files so that one can figure out how to use this.
14) Rule change (section 10.7) - the “Iraq Axis coup” event now yields a German militia rather than an Italian militia.
15) Rule clarification (section 10.7) - the “Iraq Axis coup” event yields 1 supply, not 5 supply as stated in the manual.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, almost, I think. Only Brian would know for sure, but I think the other items he's been working on are for the next version. Item 12 was expended in the readme to include the following:

a. initial USA and USSR factory multipliers are configurable (wawgoldfactory.txt, FACMULT)
b. can specify files to replace wawgoldareadata.txt and wawgoldmapregionloc.txt (wawgoldregions.txt, AREADATA_FILE and REGIONLOC_FILE). These files define port locations.
c. can specify infrastructure as damaged at start (wawgoldregions39.txt). An example would be
UNIT,RESOURCE,3,2,1 Ü 3 undamaged resources, 2 @ level 1 damage, 1 @ level 2 damage.
d. all political events are mod-able, and new ones may be added. (wawgoldscendat39.txt, with verbose comments to describe the syntax). There is enough control in political events to implement some basic surrender rules, e.g. can force cession of specific territories or enemy-adjacent territories, can force remaining player regions to be “refrozen” with new frozen rules and WR thresholds.
e. strategic move limits while frozen are now configurable by year, and the limit can be increased from zero even for the WA (wawgoldscendat39.txt , STRAT_MOVE_LIMIT).
f. some transport capacity modifiers can be applied, e.g. benefits for ports and penalties for adjacent hostile land (wawgoldscendat39.txt, TRANSPORT_PENALTY_2MP, TRANSPORT_PENALTY_HOSTILE, TRANSPORT_BONUS_PORT1, TRANSPORT_BONUS_PORT2).
g. some additional flexibility (plus fixed bugs and added verbose descriptive comment to describe its use) in the programmable suppression rules (WawGoldScenExtra.txt, BombardSuppressionRule)

There was also an item 13 that was missing from your post:

13) Rule change (section 10.7) - the “Greece joins the Allies” event now depends on Greece being Pro-Allied, instead of prior occurrance of the “Greece border war” event. This should have no practical effect.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: GKar
Is this the complete changelog?

I don't have it in front of me, but it is in the readme file contained in the release.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

Actually, the complete change log is also available here:

tm.asp?m=1443450
GKar

Post by GKar »

That's the one I quoted above, but it doesn't seem to be 100% accurate (item #13 and such).
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: GKar
That's the one I quoted above, but it doesn't seem to be 100% accurate (item #13 and such).

OK, that is odd since I did a copy-paste. The gap in the numbering is either indicates that I am superstitious or there is a typo, and in fact it is the typo.

The Greece event change is definitely in v1.011 as Joel indicated. Including that makes it comprehensive, I believe.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”